Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-11-2012, 08:24 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Default LETZ: The Story of Zed HD - (by About Fun)

There is also a Lite version to try for free. I tried it and bought the full version pretty quickly as the production values are sky high and the game has some great matching pyrotechnics. More detailed impressions to follow later...
Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Word of Warning!

I can't say this is a terrible game, but it certainly wasn't what I expected.

As far as I can tell so far, at least with these early story levels, they have no end or way to lose. Sure you might fail the timed goals if you take too long, but all other objectives will be easily obtained in time as the levels only end once you quit out if boredom.

So the game has nice polish but no point/challenge that I can see so far. It may very well be targeted to youngsters who just want to explore.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:15 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordGek View Post
Word of Warning!

I can't say this is a terrible game, but it certainly wasn't what I expected.

As far as I can tell so far, at least with these early story levels, they have no end or way to lose. Sure you might fail the timed goals if you take too long, but all other objectives will be easily obtained in time as the levels only end once you quit out if boredom.

So the game has nice polish but no point/challenge that I can see so far. It may very well be targeted to youngsters who just want to explore.
Thank you for your comment!

As we have been working on the game for a really long time, we have tried to find ideal balance between difficulty and accessibility. That's why Candy world might seem quite easy, but once you get to ICE, JUNGLE and MACHINE world and get introduced to vampire queen and vampire king, things get much more complicated.

I bet you will find it challenging .
Old 12-11-2012, 03:21 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by About Fun View Post
Thank you for your comment!

As we have been working on the game for a really long time, we have tried to find ideal balance between difficulty and accessibility. That's why Candy world might seem quite easy, but once you get to ICE, JUNGLE and MACHINE world and get introduced to vampire queen and vampire king, things get much more complicated.

I bet you will find it challenging .
I hope so, and appreciate how you're trying to appeal to a wide audience.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:44 PM

What's with the stealth releases today? Been waiting on this one for some time.

The two shades of blue are much too similar.

Last edited by Misguided; 12-12-2012 at 12:01 AM..
Old 12-12-2012, 08:45 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaVyZ View Post
hmm...i thgt letz was more letter oriented...but i stand corrected...

boy thats a huge file size you got there...but wonder how'd it be...any videos around??
Thank you for your comment, JaVyZ.

You can switch to more letter oriented EXPERT "word creation mode". In this mode you have to create words on your own by tapping on the letters collected in your stack.

Big file size is mostly because of the high amount of "funny voice-overs" we have in the game .
Old 12-12-2012, 10:24 AM

LETZ is a wildly chaotic match-3. It feels much more like Blitz than standard Bejeweled because of the timer and bonus elements with limited lifespans that you have to tap on before they disappear.

The game has tremendous amounts of polish, but there are some missteps that make me wonder how much independent feedback they received.

I already mentioned that two of the colors are similar. Another problem I have is that when you complete the story word for a given level, control of the board is taken away from the player, until scoring stops. If this happens in the middle of a massive cascade, you could find yourself waiting for seemingly interminable lengths of time before you are taken to the scoring screen (I've already seen wait times nearly half a minute). This is not fun. Also, the window that pops up asking you if you want to finish the level or continue at this point obscures the icons telling you whether or not the level objectives are completed. Hopefully you made note of that while waiting for the cascade to end.

These are obvious flaws deduced from a few minutes of playing. I'm not crazy about the need to tap coins (used to buy upgrades) in order to collect them because of everything else going on, but that's not a flaw per SE (though I could argue their small size is, and why the heck are piles of coins dropped to the side of the main playfield where I'm not even looking?) speaking of which, having bonus stones be a bit more obvious looking would be nice (the effects on these that I've seen so far don't jump off the screen). On th other hand, there tend to be so many in play it doesn't really matter as much, at least early on.

Flaws aside, this is a game that any match-head should own because puzzle games this attractive don't come along every day. I would recommend it more for match fans than word game fans, though. It doesn't really feel like a word game (though it isn't a tacked-on element either). Playing in expert mode might change that a bit, but frankly I think the game would be too frantic for my tastes in that mode, particularly since the character designs make the letters more difficult to distinguish at a glance.

Last edited by Misguided; 12-12-2012 at 11:33 AM..
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM

The more I play this one, the less I think it will be a long-term game for me. I give it points for being extremely creative, but there are some gameplay elements that I really despise. Chief among these is the bonus lottery. These look like little slot machines with a spinning dial containing pictures of items. You have to tap on the lottery within a few seconds or it will disappear.

One of the items in the lottery is called a Revealer, which is absolutely pivotal (too much so in my opinion) to hitting the time objectives on the levels I've been playing. Some letters of the target word for the level start out unknown, and the revealer makes them visible. Prior to a letter being known, you can't collect that particular letter and get credit toward the bonus word. So you might be making the word "Bowler" and see "??wler" at the top of the screen. Collecting a B or O won't give you credit toward the word until those letters are revealed.

So, what happens is when you see a lottery, you end up with your finger hovering over it for several seconds hoping a revealer comes up. This "drop everything to get the revealer" aspect runs completely counter to the nature of the rest of the gameplay. You can buy upgrades (coins can be earned as you play or purchased) that slow down the lottery dial or extend the length of time the lottery lasts, but these only exacerbate the problem, because it means more time sitting there waiting for the right symbol to show up. The whole thing becomes an exercise in frantic matching, punctuated by periods of waiting with your finger hovering over the lottery. For me, at least, not fun. I don't have a problem with the lottery reward being random, but IMO making me stop matching to wait a few seconds and tap a symbol was apoor design choice.

I want to comment on the art direction. Again, kudos for consistency of design here. However, there are too many objects with the same "intensity" in terms of visual and aural feedback. There's so much happening on screen, I often don't even notice things like lotteries or chests until I hear the sound they make when they disappear. Why is it that items vanishing make a more prominent sound than when they show up? This one is really baffling to me. Making some of these items oversized or have a more prominent glow might have made them easier to spot quickly.

One minor thing. I would not give the player an objective they an not physically complete, such as requiring a certain number of words to be made in expert mode when they are playing in casual mode. Yes, the objectives are optional, but people who are completionists may find this frustrating. Just a thought.

This game is frustrating to me, because I think there is so much potential, and the love and creativity that went into it is palpabe, but I feel that it is wonderfully flawed more than wonderful.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:14 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Great comments, Misguided. They perfectly match my impressions after a couple hours of playing LETZ.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:05 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misguided View Post
The more I play this one, the less I think it will be a long-term game for me. I give it points for being extremely creative, but there are some gameplay elements that I really despise. Chief among these is the bonus lottery. These look like little slot machines with a spinning dial containing pictures of items. You have to tap on the lottery within a few seconds or it will disappear.

One of the items in the lottery is called a Revealer, which is absolutely pivotal (too much so in my opinion) to hitting the time objectives on the levels I've been playing. Some letters of the target word for the level start out unknown, and the revealer makes them visible. Prior to a letter being known, you can't collect that particular letter and get credit toward the bonus word. So you might be making the word "Bowler" and see "??wler" at the top of the screen. Collecting a B or O won't give you credit toward the word until those letters are revealed.

So, what happens is when you see a lottery, you end up with your finger hovering over it for several seconds hoping a revealer comes up. This "drop everything to get the revealer" aspect runs completely counter to the nature of the rest of the gameplay. You can buy upgrades (coins can be earned as you play or purchased) that slow down the lottery dial or extend the length of time the lottery lasts, but these only exacerbate the problem, because it means more time sitting there waiting for the right symbol to show up. The whole thing becomes an exercise in frantic matching, punctuated by periods of waiting with your finger hovering over the lottery. For me, at least, not fun. I don't have a problem with the lottery reward being random, but IMO making me stop matching to wait a few seconds and tap a symbol was apoor design choice.

I want to comment on the art direction. Again, kudos for consistency of design here. However, there are too many objects with the same "intensity" in terms of visual and aural feedback. There's so much happening on screen, I often don't even notice things like lotteries or chests until I hear the sound they make when they disappear. Why is it that items vanishing make a more prominent sound than when they show up? This one is really baffling to me. Making some of these items oversized or have a more prominent glow might have made them easier to spot quickly.

One minor thing. I would not give the player an objective they an not physically complete, such as requiring a certain number of words to be made in expert mode when they are playing in casual mode. Yes, the objectives are optional, but people who are completionists may find this frustrating. Just a thought.

This game is frustrating to me, because I think there is so much potential, and the love and creativity that went into it is palpabe, but I feel that it is wonderfully flawed more than wonderful.
As I stated earlier, I want to like it but the early levels being completely endless rendered any score ranking meaningless.

Score = How long you stay on an easy level until your hand cramps up.