Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 12-12-2012, 04:06 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Default Questions regarding games development

Hello! I am slowly getting into iOS game development. I don't code or design myself, working with freelancerfor this job mainly.. I have done very simple games before like puzzles.. And I want to make a 2d runner game.. So can anyone share their experience..

Is it better/easier to use Cocos2d for 2d games?

What kind of images are needed for game background? Keep in mind it's a simple endless game ..

What type of animation is needed for main character- he runs all the time, his hands, feets are moving. Should I use a .gif image for this?

Thanks for answering!
Old 12-12-2012, 04:27 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

If you really want to get into this, I have to warn you not being a programmer or a designer is going to make it super difficult. But if you have your heart set and are motivated then jump right in.

I suggest start by doing a lot of research. Cocos2d is great and it's what I have used. Buy some books on it and get a feel for the framework.

If you're a more visual person like me, sign up with Lynda.com and go through some of their objective-c/cocos2d tutorials. I bought my first mac seven months ago and my second app is up for review. And honestly I learned all by going through books and Lynda

(disclaimer I do have a BS is comp sci and have been programming for ten years)

And the way animation works on iOS games is a little different than how it works on websites. So no gifs. But you'll figure all that stuff out once you're into it a bit deeper. (http://www.codeandweb.com/sprite-sheet-maker)

Best of luck!