Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 12-17-2012, 03:14 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Star Traders RPG - (by Trese Brothers) - Universal App

Star Traders RPG is a complex turn-based strategy RPG, set in a vast, dynamic, and complex galaxy torn apart by war, betrayal, and the shifts of commerce. In this epic space-opera, you play a Captain of a spaceship, traveling the Quadrant in search of fame, riches, infamy or death. As a Star Trading captain, must balance the complicated politics of the Great Houses and Syndicates , maintain and upgrade your fleet of ships, keep your crew paid, fed and loyal, and most importantly, survive.

Star Traders RPG is available on the App Store for your iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch, and is a Universal App.

Want to see it now? Watch the Epic Adventure on YouTube!
http://youtu.be/cpBiH7eUPas

Warning: Star Traders RPG is not a casual game. This is a complex space simulation and strategy game with a real difficulty scale. If you like deep games with a lot going on and endless replay, try Star Traders. We have gamers on our forum who have been playing this mobile game for more than 2 years! That's anything but casual. Think you can handle it, captain?

As a captain of a spacing machine, you may choose many paths, from being a loyalist to your faction's military, plying the interstellar lanes of commerce, exploring lost and forgotten planets and ruins, bounty hunting targets, blockading, spying, or pirating your way to riches. Your command of the ship is under constant threat, both internal and external. Can you manage your resources, crew, officers well to enough to turn a profit on your contracts and trades? Those that do will be among the Faction's elite Star Heroes -- and those that fail will be branded bandits and Crime Lords.

Star Traders RPG is inspired by classic games like Pirates!, Space Trader, Eve, Elite and is in the genre of Firefly, Serenity, and Star Wars (not Jedis -- think Hans Solo, bounty hunters, and all the rest).

As a Star Trading Captain, you will:
Pick sides in a shifting war between 6 unique Factions.
Buy, Sell, Battle and Pilot over 450 unique spacecraft.
Create your own path, playing as a Merchant, Assassin, Explorer, Warlord, Pirate, Bounty Hunter, Smuggler or choosing from one of the many ways to play.
Travel and immense and expansive galaxy
Discover, Explore and Quest on more than 140 planets

Where can I get Star Traders RPG?
Star Traders is available on:
The App Store (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/star-traders-rpg/id528949262?mt=8&ign-mpt=uo%3D4) for your iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch

We are also available on Android markets --
Google Play (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rtraders&hl=en) for your Android device.
Amazon store (http://www.amazon.com/Trese-Brothers.../dp/B004UBM7Z6) for your Android device.

Who are the Trese Brothers?
The Trese Brothers are three brothers on a mission -- to build the best RPGs for mobile devices, to build games that you love to play, and that we love to play. We can’t compete with big game shops and big graphics, but we take our productions in a different direction. We produce and faithfully support deeply complex and challenging mobile games that go far, far beyond “casual.” We listen closely to our community of fans, gamers, and critics on how to improve the games and continuously keep pushing new updates and improvements on all our games. We have literally shipped hundred of game updates to our three games over the last two years. And we have fans who have played our games for two years and still love them. Trese Brothers are also the makers of Templar Assault (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...games.templars) which is set in the Star Traders world, and Cyber Knights (https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rknights&hl=en).

Screenshots:

Old 12-17-2012, 03:26 PM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

The Trese Brothers mission statement (and the strong anti-casual vibes and sentiments ) sold me more than the game itself, but boy, does the game look interesting as well. I will hopefully report back soon with the breaking news that along the final frontier, graphics do not really matter, after all.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:31 PM

@ayjona - we try to warn people... Star Traders is not casual. If you are looking for casual, you might not like it, and we don't want to push it to the wrong crowd! If you dig our work, we are very open to feedback from the community and are always fixing bugs, responding to questions, and implementing new RFEs that come in through our community forum (http://startradersrpg.proboards.com/index.cgi).
Old 12-17-2012, 03:34 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Old 12-17-2012, 03:36 PM

@undeadcow - woah, how did you do that? Cool! Thanks!
Old 12-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Thanks to pokerjunky on our forums who has contributed and hosted this amazing Star Traders charting tool which allows you to compare and contrast all of the ships within the Star Traders Quadrant. You can see the app here: http://charts.startradersrpg.com/

Please check out this amazing resource. It is especially exciting to see someone else's charts and mathematics show that our ship balancing algorithms have achieved their purpose! We hope that this will help you pick the best warship, smuggler, and defender as you build the fleets for your Captains ... and beyond.

Pokerjunky explains his process on the forum:
http://startradersrpg.proboards.com/...ad=3121&page=1
Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjona View Post
The Trese Brothers mission statement (and the strong anti-casual vibes and sentiments ) sold me more than the game itself, but boy, does the game look interesting as well. I will hopefully report back soon with the breaking news that along the final frontier, graphics do not really matter, after all.
QFT! I was sold at "epic Space Opera" in the same breathe as RPG. What the hell is going on with so many fantastic under (and over) the radar releases?

Sci-Fi, but especially serious Space Opera, is too oft neglected as source material for RPGs.

Added to 'wish list' because I'm in a Final Fantasy trip at the moment. Love to hear more reviews and feedback from fellow TA members on this one. If the game lives up to the description, then I will have a new addiction. Sorry Baldur's Gate. As much as I love you, it looks like I'll have zero time - even when the UI is fixed for the iPad!

The only note of concern is that people may skip the game based upon it being free with a single IAP. So once Ayjona and Undeadcow have had sufficient time to play and feedback, hopefully more of the TA RPG crowd will become interested.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:57 PM

@riotgirl - I hope that you will find that you enjoy our space-opera when you get time to play it. I can say its got depth that keeps people coming back -- some of our forum members have been playing actively for 2 years on Android. One of our new forum members posted this quote a few days ago:

"i am increasingly impressed by the subtle interaction of events, like stardock closures and conflicts affecting metal availability in the region. i read on another thread that after a product is banned, merchant ships coming off the planet will be packed with it and ripe for piracy. now that i am looking for these deeper patterns i am seeing more of the cause and effect. this might give me those little edges that can get me from insane to impossible."

Read more: http://startradersrpg.proboards.com/...#ixzz2Fck9i1vc

We are very new to the App Store -- can you explain why you think a single free game with on IAP would get "over looked?" To be honest, we are definitely feeling a bit overlooked right now. We are used to a booming market presence, and are in the top 100 paid arcade games on Android, but can't seem to get any attention on the App Store.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:14 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen View Post
@riotgirl - I hope that you will find that you enjoy our space-opera when you get time to play it. I can say its got depth that keeps people coming back -- some of our forum members have been playing actively for 2 years on Android. One of our new forum members posted this quote a few days ago:

"i am increasingly impressed by the subtle interaction of events, like stardock closures and conflicts affecting metal availability in the region. i read on another thread that after a product is banned, merchant ships coming off the planet will be packed with it and ripe for piracy. now that i am looking for these deeper patterns i am seeing more of the cause and effect. this might give me those little edges that can get me from insane to impossible."

Read more: http://startradersrpg.proboards.com/...#ixzz2Fck9i1vc

We are very new to the App Store -- can you explain why you think a single free game with on IAP would get "over looked?" To be honest, we are definitely feeling a bit overlooked right now. We are used to a booming market presence, and are in the top 100 paid arcade games on Android, but can't seem to get any attention on the App Store.
My guess for your App Store problem is that your game is a niche market hardcore strategy game. Not exactly something that the "Angry Birds generation" is likely to flock to. Maybe you should try to market places like boardgamegeek. I know your game isn't a board game, but it is turn based and is probably something alot of hardcore boardgame players might want to look at.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:18 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen View Post
Note: I would recommend updating the thread title to follow the title convention i.e. game title - developer [iPod / iPhone / iPad / Universal] e.g. Star Traders RPG - (by the Trese Brothers) [Universal]

More experienced users will hopefully comment. First up, getting any traction on the App store is very, very hard without marketing outside the App store. There are a million and one apps being produced and it is very hard to separate the chaff from the wheat - especially with the pricing structure on iOS which is a race to the bottom.

Unfortunately, most of the chaff are the purportedly 'free' games that sell IAP consumables. It may be better having the game sold at the IAP price which includes the IAP. Check out this thread for IAP discussion (and iOS pricing trends in general).

A Sci-fi RPG that is complex and serious is a niche market. Hence, I suspect even if it is free, you may not get many takers. At this stage, word of mouth, and especially actual reviews on the App store (as opposed to leaving a rating) will really help gain more traction.

Once Ayjona and Undeadcow have sufficient time to play and feedback, the TA RPG crowd may take an interest.

IMO, there are a few hurdles to clear:
1. screen-shots may not be representative of deep, complex gameplay
2. complex Sci-Fi RPG / simulation is a niche market
3. too many 'big' releases e.g. Baldur's Gate, FFIV and Ravensword, to name but a few

Once the Chrimbo period is over, and people have played the big releases and have sufficient time in their gaming for something different / new, hopefully there will be more feedback in this thread for what appears to be a deep, complex Space Opera RPG / simulation (that requires more than 5 minutes to gain an appreciation).

Cheers!

P.s. ^ excellent suggestion by MrMojoRisin to publicise on BGG.

Last edited by Riotgirl; 12-20-2012 at 02:31 PM..