Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 12-21-2012, 12:40 AM

Default Graphics retina display - iphone 4 & 5 ?

Hi gurus

Can someone please advise the canvas size specs I need to design at in photoshop , to cater for all iphone models and retina display for iphone 4 & 5?.

My initial thoughts was to provide my developer with 3 graphic sets at the following resolution/canvas size:

320 x 480px - iphone 3
640x960px - iphone 4
1136x640px - iphone 5

HOwever after speaking with my developer he said I have to provide 6 sets of files ! being the above mentioned 3 plus another three sets at the above specs multiplied by 2 , being
(320 x 480px) x 2
(640x960px) x 2
(1136x640px) x 2

(ANd he wants to charge me more money for development too, because of extra layout files he has to create..or something)

Is he correct?

Could he possibly be confused because when the new iphone 4 retina display came out, the practise was to double the standard resolution at that time (320 x 480px) x2 , to correctly provide for the iphone 4 resolution/canvas size at 960x640. I think he is still applying this principle to get specs for the iphone 5 canvas size. Which I think is wrong because if you design at canvas size 1136x640 , this already caters for the new iphone 5 retina display. Also by providing him with a file 640 x 960 this already caters for the iphone 4 retina display. I don't get why he wants me to double everything ?!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:40 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

While you could get assets designed specifically for the the new resolution, I would recommend using assets designed for a 960x640 resolution. Take these and halve them for the non retina screens. There is a multitude of ways to handle the new Iphone resolution, and that really comes down to what type of game (I am assuming you are developing a game) you are developing. For instance I am currently developing a platformer and I am developing it with assets sized for a 960x640 resolution. What I do whith the Iphone 5 is simply display more of the level. Think of the resolution as what you can see out of a window, now with a slightly larger window you can simply see more. The bottom line is that you should be able to get away with just having assets created for a 960x640 resolution. Than you can halve them using GIMP or Photoshop and save a few bucks.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:21 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

What M.O says but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O. View Post
The bottom line is that you should be able to get away with just having assets created for a 960x640 resolution.
Be careful about front/end and static background. you might want to create them at 1136x640 (but make sure that what's inside 960x640 looks good: mainly the extra pixel aren't containing vital information).

JC
Old 12-21-2012, 03:26 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

1136 x 640 is enough. Or maybe add 960x640 so he can see how GUI will look like in different aspect ratio. However, there is no need to send him 480x320, since it is a resize. Just be sure to doublecheck things as font sizes (should be even numbers) and pixel sizes of strokes / corners / lines (again, should be even numbers).

Feels like your developer either don't know how to do it or he is trying to buy more christmas gifts.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O. View Post
While you could get assets designed specifically for the the new resolution, I would recommend using assets designed for a 960x640 resolution. Take these and halve them for the non retina screens. There is a multitude of ways to handle the new Iphone resolution, and that really comes down to what type of game (I am assuming you are developing a game) you are developing. For instance I am currently developing a platformer and I am developing it with assets sized for a 960x640 resolution. What I do whith the Iphone 5 is simply display more of the level. Think of the resolution as what you can see out of a window, now with a slightly larger window you can simply see more. The bottom line is that you should be able to get away with just having assets created for a 960x640 resolution. Than you can halve them using GIMP or Photoshop and save a few bucks.
Hi MO

Thanks for your reply.
No It's not a game app I'm having developed. SHould this make a difference? I wouldnt think so, its not a highly detailed type of app. it's a simple music app.

I post here, because I don't know of any other popular forums that deal specifically with iphone app graphics and development, IS there one?

Is there a software that can automatically reduce the size of graphics? So I dont have to re-cut all my graphics in photoshop?
Old 12-21-2012, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovogame View Post
What M.O says but...

Be careful about front/end and static background. you might want to create them at 1136x640 (but make sure that what's inside 960x640 looks good: mainly the extra pixel aren't containing vital information).

JC
Thanks & merry christmas
Old 12-21-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3v View Post
1136 x 640 is enough. Or maybe add 960x640 so he can see how GUI will look like in different aspect ratio. However, there is no need to send him 480x320, since it is a resize. Just be sure to doublecheck things as font sizes (should be even numbers) and pixel sizes of strokes / corners / lines (again, should be even numbers).

Feels like your developer either don't know how to do it or he is trying to buy more christmas gifts.
Hi thanks for your reply.
Do you mean font sizes should be 8,10,12,14 and not 9,11,13,15 or 10.5 etc..
And pixels of strokes, corners, lines should be 2,4,6 and 3,7 or 1?!

and if so why?
Old 12-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

The reason you were asked if it was a game is because games as typically a little more difficult to get to support the different screen sizes. If you're developing a music app using mostly standard iOS components then your developer is probably not going to have to do any extra work to add iPhone5 support (for example, a full screen table view will just expand to fill the new screen space) unless you want the iPhone5 to have significantly different graphics (see below).

What I tend to do with graphics (as a developer) is to add only the highest resolution graphics to the build (i.e. the retina ones). iOS does a good job of scaling down images for non-retina screens. This helps to keep the add size low (significantly). In fact, I'm currently adding iPad support to our game and where the iPad graphics are just larger versions of the iPhone ones, I will be only adding one file for that graphic - the larger iPad version.

This is why @ovogame's point is important. If things are going to be scaled down to half the size (whether you let iOS to it or do it in Photoshop) then you better make sure that the positions and sizes of your slices are on even pixels. A graphical asset which is 131px for retina is going to scale down to 65.5px for a normal screen. This half-pixel is obviously a problem (although it reality its not that bad).

Where the graphics do need to be different (either to support iPhone 5 or iPad) then obviously you're going to need to send separate slices for these elements. In all but the most simple cases this is going to require a separate screen file (XIB) for iPad/iPhone 5.
Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by appdesigner View Post
Hi thanks for your reply.
Do you mean font sizes should be 8,10,12,14 and not 9,11,13,15 or 10.5 etc..
And pixels of strokes, corners, lines should be 2,4,6 and 3,7 or 1?!

and if so why?
Font size should be e.g. 26 on retina, so you have 13px on non-retina. The same goes for any other design element. Reason is simple - you can easily divide everything by 2 and get non-retina dimensions.

It's pretty harsh when u have retina font size of 25 and then you have to decide if non-retina will be 12 or 13. 1 px stroke on retina is problem as well, because you can't get 0,5px stroke on non-retina.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3v View Post
Font size should be e.g. 26 on retina, so you have 13px on non-retina. The same goes for any other design element. Reason is simple - you can easily divide everything by 2 and get non-retina dimensions.

It's pretty harsh when u have retina font size of 25 and then you have to decide if non-retina will be 12 or 13. 1 px stroke on retina is problem as well, because you can't get 0,5px stroke on non-retina.
Thank you