Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-01-2013, 11:31 PM

Default Retro Jump : 1983

Old 01-02-2013, 01:11 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Avoid like the plague. Graphics based on an early 80s game. The guy of the classic Manic Miner I'm sure would like some of the profits this game should be free though. At least get permission if you're going to sell this game. If you can't make contact it doesn't mean you can go ahead and rip off his ideas for graphics etc

Avoid
Old 01-02-2013, 05:37 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
Avoid like the plague. Graphics based on an early 80s game. The guy of the classic Manic Miner I'm sure would like some of the profits this game should be free though. At least get permission if you're going to sell this game. If you can't make contact it doesn't mean you can go ahead and rip off his ideas for graphics etc

Avoid
From the description, this sounds a lot more like a tribute to me than a rip-off. Certainly, there are plenty of other examples on the app store that do not directly reference and credit their inspiration in attached notes, and seem to me to be infinitely more ripe for having their heads bitten off by ardent reviewers.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:40 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Most fan tributes i've seen though dont charge for the games as they know theyre 'borrowing graphics/ideas' from other games.

I wouldnt be complaining if it was free but i've seen this person spam this game on other retro threads and has received the same complaints about copyright etc.

The author of the original games (Matthew Smith) has done interviews last year (so could possibly be contacted) and also had a webpage/on Facebook so could be asked (as others have done with some retro tributes). Also the famous Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy games are legally released on iOS by Elite Systems. I spoke to Elite Systems about this game to see if the author had asked permission which i dont believe he had.

Last edited by psj3809; 01-02-2013 at 05:54 AM..
Old 01-02-2013, 07:50 AM

There's a rocket in there that's straight from Ultimate's Jet Pak from the Spectrum version.

Edit. I think the bubble graphic is from the Spectrum version of Bubble Bobble... I'm having fun spotting the graphics from the screen shots and trying to name the game

Last edited by NinthNinja; 01-02-2013 at 07:52 AM..