Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 01-29-2013, 08:43 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default The DRM Death Ray Manta (Universal)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 01-30-2013 at 01:57 AM..
Old 01-29-2013, 09:28 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I'm not sure if I am missing something here or if the controls are just broken, but there are some rather odd things going on:

- The movement of your "manta" appears to be digital even though you are provided with what clearly looks like an analog stick. That is to say, the manta appears to only move at one speed, irrespective of how far you move your thumb. This feels decidedly odd and counter-intuitive. On top of that the movement itself feels somewhat inaccurate and erratic overall.

- Pressing the right stick to shoot sometimes shoots and sometimes...doesn't.

Perhaps if this wasn't one of those games that's too clever to give you some proper instructions, or an options screen, I might have a better idea of what exactly is going on in relation to what is supposed to, but no such luck. All I know is playing it currently is a bit of an exercise in frustration.

EDIT: I'd definitely say the controls are broken, since after a few more goes now I've encountered instances where the movement control becomes completely unresponsive.

Last edited by Gabrien; 01-29-2013 at 09:45 PM..
Old 01-29-2013, 10:18 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

What a shame, its a great looking game. Reminds me of a Jeff Minter game, visually. I was a little reluctant when I saw the video for their only other game, Farm Jump.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 PM

Hi Gabrien,

Sorry you're having trouble with the controls. We have tested the game on a wide range of devices and didn't hit any problems like the ones you are experiencing.

A couple of questions to help me try and track down your problem:

What device are you running it on?
Does the game lag at all on your device, or seem to run at a smooth frame rate?

Thanks!
Old 01-29-2013, 11:05 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychicParrot View Post
Hi Gabrien,

Sorry you're having trouble with the controls. We have tested the game on a wide range of devices and didn't hit any problems like the ones you are experiencing.

A couple of questions to help me try and track down your problem:

What device are you running it on?
Does the game lag at all on your device, or seem to run at a smooth frame rate?

Thanks!
Tried it both on iPad 2 and iPhone 4S. Both iOS 5.1.1.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:39 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Hope the controls get sorted out. This looks exactly like my kind of game, and I'd love to play it really soon.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:06 AM
iPad, OS 4.x

I really like this. Cheers for posting, Gabrien. The movement is definitely one speed rather than analogue but I really don't mind this too much and because of the speed of the game itself I wouldn't have noticed if it hadn't been mentioned. Apart from that I think it's a beauty. Needs some sort of leaderboard and cheevos via game centre or such but if you like Minter or Jarvis then you'll probably appreciate this. Music et al fits very very well. I've only tried on 4S iOS 6.1 but I'll try on other devices later.
Old 01-30-2013, 03:55 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Hiya,

Yeah digital movement was a deliberate choice however, yeah, totally there's a confusion there with the stick images and stuff. We pushed out an update to sort that a few days back and we're just waiting for Apple to give it the nod. It also fixes a slight quirk where the sticks reset themselves rather than picking up the last direction.

Erm, sorry about that. Totally my fault for being daft but a fix has been with Apple since Monday so should be through in no time.

As Jeff says though, not sure what's going on with the unresponsive thing. I've been hammering it for a week or so now and it's been fine here (iPad 4 and 4th Gen Touch respectively) but we'll look into it.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:05 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Love the look of this ! Buying now !!
Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobF View Post
As Jeff says though, not sure what's going on with the unresponsive thing. I've been hammering it for a week or so now and it's been fine here (iPad 4 and 4th Gen Touch respectively) but we'll look into it.
All I can tell you is, the firing on the right stick sometimes (often) simply stops working. I think, this tends to happen more when standing still, and moving with the left stick causes the firing to resume. Possibly there's some sort of multitouch issue? I've no idea. I am certain it is the type of issue that would be immediately apparent to anyone experiencing it. It isn't exactly subtle.