Support our Sponsors:

Old 02-06-2013, 07:11 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default A rant

Yes the rant is ridiculous because we are talking about $1 games, but on the other hand I can't go around stealing a dollar fom every one I meet, so there is that...

Tired of games I buy disappearing fom the AppStore and reappearing with a slightly different name under a new publisher. Tired of sites like this one acting like its cool because they offered the new one free for 24 hours instead of calling them out on that kind of b.s.

Tired of games I paid for going freemium and offering me trinkets in exchange.

Tired of gamers applauding developers who do this crap.

Tired of developers who act like its ok to treat their customers like this because after all, their product deserves to make the money they feel it should make, and if their paying customers don't get what they paid for then oh well.

Tired of always giving in when this bottle of Henny wins.

Seriously though I know it's only a dollar, which is why they won't mind if I pirate the games after all they are only losing a dollar right?

No I don't pirate games, because it is unethical, but that begs the question is what they are doing ethical?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:39 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I'll nibble the alcohol infused bait for a moment..

So if a one dollar game goes freemium, and the devs compensate the original buyers with IAP trinkets and currency (said trinkets which would cost probably a dollar or more to the new freemium users) is unethical and essentially stealing? They're giving you your dollar back, no?
Old 02-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

If you bought a Coke for a dollar and they took the coke away and gave you a dollars worth of sand, did you get what you paid for, would you have bought the coke if you knew it was really just going to be sand? What do they call it when someone takes something you paid for away or sells you something under false pretenses? Struggling to come up with a polite name for it other than theft to be honest.

You see just like in the above case trinkets do not equal getting your dollar back, I don't want trinkets I didn't buy trinkets, I bought the coke not the dollars worth of sand...

And the only argument you will hear around here is, it's only a dollar...and my rebuttal is good let everyone pirate games then, they are only a dollar...must be ok to do whatever you want as long we are only talking about a dollar.

Last edited by the9quad; 02-06-2013 at 08:01 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 08:11 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Ha and I didn't realize this place was turning into one of those kind of forums. Used to be people would generally respect each other in replies, matter of fact they kind of prided themselves on it. Oh well times change...nice rebuttal though.

Amazing the people will defend being treated like that as customers. I guess the type of gamer who loves these freemium games and love the IAP are a different breed then myself.

Last edited by the9quad; 02-06-2013 at 08:15 PM..
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by the9quad View Post
Yeah, just glad I don't have to hear the accompanying prepubescent nasally whine that usually goes along with well thought out replies like that...

Oh yeah your the kid who wishes all the games on the AppStore were as deep as infinity blade....that explains it.
I'm glad I get to be in a silly little quarrel with a pathetic person like you. We can keep these stupid snide comments going all day.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:27 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Hilarious analogy...but I'll work with it.

I find going freemium a little more honest if you ask me.
Games that switch from paid to freemium tend to be IAP or grind heavy games. I'd rather have that than pay 3 dollars for a game that pushes IAP down my gullet the minute I launch it. (Square Enix is doing a fantastic job at that with their latest releases.)

The other reason for freemium seems to be the casual, window shopping nature of the user and the relatively short attention span. They're more likely to try out a free game than a paid game...and if they like it they will invest their time and money into it. If not they'll move on to the next free game.

It's the nature of the beast. The App Store is incredibly saturated and staying on top is a constant battle.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:29 PM
Banned
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Nah I'm done, I'm going to bed, have work early in the a.m. I'm sure you can stay up arguing all night and still function until recess, but you'll have to find someone else to do it with, good luck!

That's to connector btw, not you.

Nite.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Nah I'm done, I'm going to bed, have work early in the a.m. I'm sure you can stay up arguing all night and still function until recess, but you'll have to find someone else to do it with, good luck!
Thanks, I'll find something.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:54 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Yes the rant is ridiculous because we are talking about $1 games, but on the other hand I can't go around stealing a dollar fom every one I meet, so there is that...

Tired of games I buy disappearing fom the AppStore and reappearing with a slightly different name under a new publisher. Tired of sites like this one acting like its cool because they offered the new one free for 24 hours instead of calling them out on that kind of b.s.

Tired of games I paid for going freemium and offering me trinkets in exchange.

Tired of gamers applauding developers who do this crap.

Tired of developers who act like its ok to treat their customers like this because after all, their product deserves to make the money they feel it should make, and if their paying customers don't get what they paid for then oh well.

Tired of always giving in when this bottle of Henny wins.

Seriously though I know it's only a dollar, which is why they won't mind if I pirate the games after all they are only losing a dollar right?

No I don't pirate games, because it is unethical, but that begs the question is what they are doing ethical?
Um, did I post this?
Old 02-06-2013, 09:00 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoghann View Post
Hilarious analogy...but I'll work with it.

I find going freemium a little more honest if you ask me.
Games that switch from paid to freemium tend to be IAP or grind heavy games. I'd rather have that than pay 3 dollars for a game that pushes IAP down my gullet the minute I launch it. (Square Enix is doing a fantastic job at that with their latest releases.)

The other reason for freemium seems to be the casual, window shopping nature of the user and the relatively short attention span. They're more likely to try out a free game than a paid game...and if they like it they will invest their time and money into it. If not they'll move on to the next free game.

It's the nature of the beast. The App Store is incredibly saturated and staying on top is a constant battle.
The problem is when the dev/publisher changes the entire model of the game by way of an update. I've said it a thousand times, but there is a simple way to keep the customer on your side...release a seperate binary for the new, freemium version.

A good example is Bio Crisis. Search for it and you should still find the paid version and a FTP version. No one who waits to long to install the game post purchase is screwed, and you have another way to monetize your game.

Games randomly disappearing from the appstore; being bought by another company and having the name changed/app ID changed, etc...that's absolutely the worst thing that currently goes on in the appstore. Maybe if you're 25 or younger you don't consider software purchases to = ownership; most of us older than that do. Many disagreements on this site, IMO, reflect the changing views of media ownership.