★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Old computer games couldn't be won. They just got harder and faster until you died. Try it yourself with The Last Mission!

The Last Mission app is a replica of an old computer game released in 1987 by the Spanish company Opera Soft, for the Sinclair Spectrum, Amstrad CPC, and MSX. It was also ported to the IBM PC platform.

The Last Mission is a side-view arcade game without scrolling (viewpoint moves from screen to screen) with map of big dimensions. You control a tank-like robot which can be divided in two: you rotate caterpillar and head-cannon, and the head part can fly off on its own. However, the head can only survive separately for a short amount of time, and your restart position is dictated by the location of the body, even if the head has moved forward through further screens. Therefore, the difficulty of the game is in making it possible to advance with the assembled robot's two parts.
02-09-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm posting this for one reason: either I started the Gridlee thread (it's been edited, of course, or I was the first poster, precisely because I thought an emulator might have snuck into the appstore. So...Im just wondering...is there a little somethin somethin under the hood powering this game?

02-09-2013, 06:47 PM
I bet there is much more to this game but MSX is just too old school for my taste
02-09-2013, 11:17 PM
Huzzah for old games. I'll snag this one now.
02-10-2013, 04:17 AM
that's what i love about iOS. All new and old games on one device. Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft should really take note
04-30-2013, 06:30 AM
New version of the game

Hi there,

I am the iOS developer of the game, and I can tell you - it is written from the scratch, the cross-platform game code is done by Dmitry Smagin in C language. The only thing left from the original game is a set of sprites

There is a new version of the game available in the AppStore, with improved graphics, music, new secret game level, GameCenter and iCade support!
04-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Originally Posted by Aventador View Post
I bet there is much more to this game but MSX is just too old school for my taste
Unsure about MSX, i played the Sinclair Spectrum version a while back so i'll be interested to check this out. As long as the gameplays great i dont mind for old skool graphics etc
04-30-2013, 08:43 AM
Just had a good go of it, really liking it.

Like the way it controls, eg one minute youre part of the 'main' vehicle then you can fly off and it becomes a different type of shooter.

Kept pressing the pause button accidentally which was frustrating, but i'll play more later. Nice mechanics to this game, well worth trying
04-30-2013, 09:23 AM
I had this game on a little chinese handheld game system that I bought for other purposes. It was a pretty cool little game that someone ported over. I never got very far into it.