Support our Sponsors:

Old 02-17-2013, 05:25 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Default The Rights, Crippled

What has happened to the term called "customer friendly" or the sentence "the customer is king"? Nothing worth anymore?

How can it be that we're getting forced to use social media stuff or other nonsense just to be able to play a game?

More and more devs jump onto this train, like: "If you don't give us a like on FB or fon't indtall a second app, you'll not be able to get this or that reward or play the complete game.".

I say: "WTF?"
I paid for that effin' product and now you try to force me to do things I don't wanna do? Like:

-liking on FB
-following on Twitter
-posting spam on both social media platforms just to get a small reward
-5-star-rating the game on Appstore (for rewards)
-register on other social gaming platforms
-force me to wait
-waste my time with all kind of advertisement stuff that's built into apps (which I need to click, of course) and much more.

I am the customer. I wanna DECIDE what I DO. So bloody STOP trying to force your stuff on ME if you want my money in the future. Play your stupid little "social media games" with someone else. Go and "analyse" someone else but leave me alone. You are going too far now.
I am no guinea pig, even if you already see me like that.

Seriously, why do people cripple our rights as customers? The money just isn't enough today.

/rant

Last edited by Vovin; 02-17-2013 at 05:37 AM..
Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

What games do this? I haven't come across any forcing me to spam

If there are any I avoid them like the plague

Wish games stayed away from Facebook or wanting me to spam twitter friends with crap though

If I get spammed with crap like this I purposely avoid the game
Old 02-17-2013, 06:56 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I seem to encounter this mostly in freemium games where i tend to stay away from anyway,and if i do dive in i expect a crippled gameplay anyway.
Vovin,could you perhaps make a short (or long ) list of paid games and what is unaccesible if you don't "socially" interact?
Old 02-17-2013, 07:33 AM

well, this is normally on free games, developers have their right if you are not paying for it, have you ever tried programming?

on paid games its good to have the option, just a button of fb, twitter and appstore though. Spamming or asking you to do it for rewards is simply disgusting however it doesnt happen so often on paid games
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
What games do this? I haven't come across any forcing me to spam

If there are any I avoid them like the plague

Wish games stayed away from Facebook or wanting me to spam twitter friends with crap though

If I get spammed with crap like this I purposely avoid the game
This comes from a post in the I Gladiator forum where someone (Bytebrain, I think) mentioned that you had to like the game on Facebook to get the dual wielding ability. As it happens, that statement is false: you can get dual wielding without having a Facebook account. Not sure where Bytebrain got the idea.
Old 02-17-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
This comes from a post in the I Gladiator forum where someone (Bytebrain, I think) mentioned that you had to like the game on Facebook to get the dual wielding ability. As it happens, that statement is false: you can get dual wielding without having a Facebook account. Not sure where Bytebrain got the idea.
sometimes they just check that you clicked the link (not the like/follow) that's why you dont really have to do it
Old 02-17-2013, 08:17 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:

Ok, apologies, I might have been wrong with that.
But it is not only that - the so-called "companion app" is a colossal cheek.

I would like to earn enough gold in the game.
But I also need to use an app which shoves a video in my face every single minute I am using it without asking, the screens are filled with ads and - and that's really cheeky - asks me for a buck to get rid of the ads? Constantly it shoves offers for posting on Twitter or FB for more coins blatantly into my face and even has other IAP's (like selling coins and luck(!). This shows clearly that the devs try to squeeze every single dime out of the game. You know me - I am the opposite of a cheapskate. But for paying a premium price, this is punishment. If this wasn't more than enough already, it needs me to spam FB to get these coins? And I need FB to get better swords? Damn, if this is the future of gaming...

I want a finished and (as-good-as) bug-free product which leaves me my personal freedom in every direction.
But all these apps lately with their "post to bla bla to get bla bla" - and that includes full-priced games - really annoy me.

If that would fit for only 2-3 games, I'd ignore them and move on, but this is trending...

As Bytebrain said in the other thread: "why can't games just be straightforward anymore?".

Last edited by Vovin; 02-17-2013 at 08:35 AM..
Old 02-17-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Ok, apologies, I might have been wrong with that.
But it is not only that - the so-called "companion app" is a colossal cheek.

I would like to earn enough gold in the game.
But I also need to use an app which shoves a video in my face every single minute I am using it without asking, the screens are filled with ads and - and that's really cheeky - asks me for a buck to get rid of the ads? Constantly it shoves offers for posting on Twitter or FB for more coins blatantly into my face and even has other IAP's (like selling coins and luck(!). This shows clearly that the devs try to squeeze every single dime out of the game. You know me - I am the opposite of a cheapskate. But for paying a premium price, this is punishment. If this wasn't more than enough already, it needs me to spam FB to get these coins? And I need FB to get better swords? Damn, if this is the future of gaming...

I want a finished and (as-good-as) bug-free product which leaves me my personal freedom in every direction.
But all these apps lately with their "post to bla bla to get bla bla" - and that includes full-priced games - really annoy me.

If that would fit for only 2-3 games, I'd ignore them and move on, but this is trending...

As Bytebrain said in the other thread: "why can't games just be straightforward anymore?".
I get what you are saying. But I've been playing the game without downloading the companion app, and I'm having a blast with it -- way better than Infinity Blade.

The answer to your question, of course, lies in the concept for a $4.95 "premium" app. If you look at the mount of content, the art direction, the level of animation in I, Gladiator, its clear that it cost way more than what can be recouped with $5 purchases. If studios want to stay afloat in the mobile era, they need to generate revenue in some other way. The real question is: do we want this kind of game in the App Store? And yes, I know that some developers have managed to release ambitious titles without all the "alternative" revenue sources, but when something like Ravensword 2 struggled to break even (it took a while), you can understand why folks are getting creative with their monetization.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:03 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
I get what you are saying. But I've been playing the game without downloading the companion app, and I'm having a blast with it -- way better than Infinity Blade.

The answer to your question, of course, lies in the concept for a $4.95 "premium" app. If you look at the mount of content, the art direction, the level of animation in I, Gladiator, its clear that it cost way more than what can be recouped with $5 purchases. If studios want to stay afloat in the mobile era, they need to generate revenue in some other way. The real question is: do we want this kind of game in the App Store? And yes, I know that some developers have managed to release ambitious titles without all the "alternative" revenue sources, but when something like Ravensword 2 struggled to break even (it took a while), you can understand why folks are getting creative with their monetization.

Yeah, I think I see your point.
It's still frustrating how original iOS gaming develops.
Sure, high quality productions need to generate a lot of money to be profitable - which is tragic due to the pricing problematics in CheapAppLand.
On the other hand - I fire up FF IV or Vice City or even Bastion and enjoy a full, straightforward game. But turning my head towards Horn, Infinity Blade, Wild Blood or RR3 - you clearly see the difference between ports and original iOS games. Sure, you can't compare apples to iOranges, but you clearly see the misery.
Again: no prob with premium prices and optional IAPs, but I feel like the devs are really crossing borders - to test how much more a gamer is passible from time to time.
I wish I could find a solution to this constant struggle between gamers, devs and pricings, but I admit, I have no clue.

And while thinking about this, I noticed, that I bought more ported games lately than iOS original games. Maybe because the iOS originals develop in that way. I guess that's not what the devs want. But I prefer most things straightforward.

FF IV never asked me to post an archievement to FB just
to get a new shiny blade.

I still might give IG a chance, because of what you've said.
I am digging that bloody Borderlands art style too much.

Last edited by Vovin; 02-17-2013 at 10:11 AM..
Old 02-17-2013, 10:14 AM

It would be great if it all could be straightforward but alas it won't be. Unfortunately as things change, so must a developer's strategy.

Consumers want cheap. A developer wants compensation. How can both be accomplished? We see in the RR3 thread that even going freemium a game is subject to hacks and iap dodging techniques. So it isn't even going the freemium route that a game can guarantee a pay day.

If this is directed only at the I Gladiator idea then I think they made a good attempt at SOMEthing to get them some profit. It is similar to what square mentioned - preorder this game and get x maps and x big guns!

If this is directed at the mass - like me so I can get some recognition and then maybe get more downloads - then I agree. I don't want to be used as a developer's billboard for advertisement. It's like buying a washing machine and having to put a sign on your front lawn that says MAYTAG in order for it to turn on.