Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Other > Lounge

Old 02-17-2013, 06:27 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default 5 games for these systems

long story short.. been a gamer since early 80s. that slowed down/stopped since about 2007
the ios games have got me back into it- being more accessible and easier to get
but its made me realize i want to play more of all my systems. i cant afford to be a rabid collector, with wife/kids BUT id like to go and find ( ideally cheap 2nd hand) 5 classic AWESOME games that are fun to play for each of the systems i have.
psp
ds
ps3
ps2
ps1
n64
snes

these are consoles i own but are boxed downstairs since moving last. i want to get into them again. some like 360 i have loads of games for, some like ps3 i have none ( got it free with my sony 50" in 07). the snes and n64 i rebought after selling them when the system died
i figure 5 is a good amount a can afford for each platform. Games that are still fun to play now for older systems such as snes and ps1.
again, im not saying the BEST 5 games ever for these consoles, more like- the 5 games for each that are "classic" or "that should be in everyones collection"

thanks for all advice up front
( im quite excited to be back into these consoles and go searching local pawn shops/ebay for the games)
Old 02-17-2013, 07:50 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Is there any genre of games you don't like?

FPS games, JRPGS, Platformers, Point and Click games?
Old 02-17-2013, 08:13 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

ah i forgot about genres
well, i like a bit of everything, especially if the game excels in not just appealing to the hardcore elite of that genre
ie i dont like FPS all the much but now and then i find one that i love
i would like a broad range of games not just say, 5 shooters on each system.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

From the systems I have experience with:

SNES: Final Fantasy III (officially FFVI), Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Super Metroid, The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

PS2: Okami, Final Fantasy X, Shadow of the Colossus, Kingdom Hearts, God of War

DS: The World Ends With You, Pokemon (any of them, although I recommend Heart Gold/Soul Silver or Black 2/White 2), Mario Kart DS, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin, Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia

PSP: Persona 3 Portable, The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Patapon, Valkyrie Chronicles 2, Dissidia 012 Final Fantasy

PS3: Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, Metal Gear Solid 4, Journey, Borderlands

Of course, there are a ton of great games that I haven't mentioned either I ran out of space (each of those systems have HUGE libraries of games I loved), but I tried to mix up the genres and series a bit.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:55 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

I'll try to put some variety into my recommendations. Might go over five on some systems, Youtubing them to find out if they are for you would be good. I tried to leave out games that are available on iOS(TWEWY, Phoenix Wright, GTA:CTW), even though I believe they are better on other platforms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryassdrummer View Post
360 - JRPG: Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, TPS:Mass Effect Series, Gears of War series.

psp - Tactical RPG: Jeanne d'Arc, Tactics Ogre, Fighters: Powerstone, Arcade: Crazy Taxi, JRPGS: Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, Persona 3 Portable, Trails in the Sky, Tower Defense: Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe. Sports: Hot Shots Tennis.

ds - point and click: 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, Professor Layton series, Phoenix Wright and Apollo Justice games, Music games:Elite Beat Agents. Other RPGS: Mario and Luigi Series, Radiant Historia, Pokemon series

ps3 - Misc., not sure what to fit this under:Heavy Rain, JRPG:Ni no Kuni, Tales of Grace, Racers: Burnout Paradise, Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed, God of War 3

ps2 - Kingdom Hearts series, Xenosaga series, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, Star Ocean: Till' the end of time, Final Fantasy series, Ratchet and Clank Series. Persona 4, Indigo Prophecy, God of War series, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus(can also find better versions of these on PS3)

ps1 - Final Fantasy series, Twisted Metal, wasn't big on PS1.

n64 - Super Mario 64, Super Smash Bros, Diddy Kong Racing, The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time

snes - Super Mario World, Super Mario Kart, Chrono Trigger(though you might want to get the DS one, easier to find and better IMO. Donkey Kong Country, Earthbound, Zelda A link to the past
I tried to narrow it down as much as possible and I'm sure I missed some games. All these systems have more than 5 classics I'm sure. Maybe somebody else will fill in the blanks. Also some of the games I mentioned are a bit rare, so not sure how feasible it would be to buy a copy.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:12 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

thanks to both of you!!! ^^^
i dont mind if over 5.. in fact id like more than 5 on the list, more was trying to keep the thread from going over the top. also getting to the point i wont be buying hundreds of games etc more say 5-10 GREAT games on each system
quality of quantity
Old 02-17-2013, 10:27 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Classic PS1 games are Final Fantasy 7-9, Resident Evil 1-3, Metal Gear Solid, Gran Turismo 2, Tomba, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Oddword Abe's Oddysee/Exodus, Driver, Crash Bandicoot 1-3, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1-3, GTA 1-2.

I actually wrote those from memory then went to check some online lists... I basically got them all spot on.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:19 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

so many good games available
going through ebay today i realize how 99% of the games released are just rubbish tho.. or "kiddy/family" orientated..which is cool, but got 20 of them with my recent ebay purchase of 2x PS2 consoles for $50
Old 02-18-2013, 01:55 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

360 - Skyrim, Forza series, Halo series

psp - Jeanne de'Arc, Valkyria Chronicles 2, Metal Gear Solid Peacewalker

ps3 - Gran Turismo, Uncharted, Resistance series

ps1 - Xcom, Wipeout, Wipeout 2097

snes - Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Monster Rancher 2

Left out the systems I've never used.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:02 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

earthbound im unlikely to get cheap
im pretty sure it was only released in the US