Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 02-22-2013, 12:41 PM

Default The state of misery of being an app developer!

Would like to start an ongoing list of how miserable it can be, being an app developer. If others could post their miserable experiences and discoveries I think it would be cool to keep this list going.

I will post the first one.

One of our complicated apps was copied by a chinese company right down to the layout, functionality, text, app name and previous bugs that we finally got rid of in our latest version.

Their app hits the store and timed perfectly our app gets flooded with fake 1 star reviews. Of course their app gets these perfect 5 star reviews form users that only bought this app.

Man I wish my mom didn't teach me any form of morals so I could behave like this!
Just amazed at how aggressive the competition behaves just to get more sales. Nasty!
Old 02-22-2013, 06:19 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

How/why would they copy the bugs!? Do you think they got the source code somehow?

This sounds like something you should (or am I being too optimistic?) be able to get Apple to intervene in, so good luck.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:20 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicated Puzzles View Post
Would like to start an ongoing list of how miserable it can be, being an app developer. If others could post their miserable experiences and discoveries I think it would be cool to keep this list going.

I will post the first one.

One of our complicated apps was copied by a chinese company right down to the layout, functionality, text, app name and previous bugs that we finally got rid of in our latest version.

Their app hits the store and timed perfectly our app gets flooded with fake 1 star reviews. Of course their app gets these perfect 5 star reviews form users that only bought this app.

Man I wish my mom didn't teach me any form of morals so I could behave like this!
Just amazed at how aggressive the competition behaves just to get more sales. Nasty!
Wow. This was why I decided not to try developing.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyTheElite View Post
Wow. This was why I decided not to try developing.
Really? That's why? I just couldn't be bothered

Anyway, maybe you could report this to Apple? Regardless, best of luck for your app Syndicated Puzzles.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 PM

The app uses the track pad to sign documents. The limitations of the track pad itself cause everyone to hit the same snags developing anything that uses the trackpad. We are moving in on 100 apps on the mac app store now so we are used to duplicate apps appearing. Not really complaining too much about the copying as much as the behaviour of the competing developer. If you are first to market you will get copied if the idea is good.

Having a real app in front of you makes it a whole lot easier to create a copycat app. The reference points lead you to solutions.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:48 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Got links to your app and their app? I'm curious to read if the negative comments use proper English or not. A lot of the fake reviews are usually easy to pick out since they're generic reviews often times with broken English.

I imagine they just hire people to start flooding the reviews. You can probably do the same via Fiverr.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:54 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Wow. Full on nuclear attack. Dirty. I assume effective?
Old 02-23-2013, 01:34 AM

Don't really want to get into a flame war. Our app has clawed its way back today. The written text reviews for some reason have all disappeared. I think enough people clicked on the Report A Concern button and Apple removed the bad reviews (single review and the ones that didn't even make sense.
Old 02-23-2013, 08:00 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Sorry to hear that, i too would like to check between the two and see, do you have links? If something like his happened to me, i think i would email Apple about it.

With regards to your post title, i am still in the process of building my first game so after i've released it i'll provide my feedback! (Yeah, not very optimistic about my game in terms o sales and downloads!!)

Cheers
Old 02-24-2013, 12:34 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

You should give apple a call and report all this. They would probably take action against the offending party. China doesn't exactly have a clearly defined idea of protecting intellectual property.