★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: ZULUS ON THE RAMPARTS! is the battle cry of those defending the Mission Station at Rorkes Drift. It is 22 January 1879, and the British invasion column moving into Zululand was disastrously defeated that morning at nearby Isandlwana. Now, fresh troops from the victorious Zulu iMpi (army) are advancing on your position. With your 140 British soldiers and auxiliaries, you must survive the repeated attacks of 4000+ crack Zulu warriors.
02-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Anybody play this yet? It's by the same developer as Levee en Masse, which was a decent strategy board game. This one seems to have the same look and feel. Would love to know how it plays.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic

02-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
Anybody play this yet? It's by the same developer as Levee en Masse, which was a decent strategy board game. This one seems to have the same look and feel. Would love to know how it plays.
Here is a pretty good overview of the gameolay and rules from joel eddy:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g...&v=-LwX2gZ-kOE

All times favorites : CAVE shooters, Space Invaders Infinity Gene, Groove Coaster, Infinity Blade 2, King of Dragon Pass, Ascension, Alien Frontier, Sorcery!, Gamebook Adventure
GameCenter: Corroyeur
02-22-2013, 04:49 PM
I watched the video, it's not a very good video review, he doesn't go into many details. The game does look pret nice though. I'm thinking about taking the plunge on this one.
02-22-2013, 06:29 PM
I'm sure I'll pick this up eventually. When I do I'll leave impressions, but it may be a bit.

Tug Boat Minister of Propaganda
Proud member of T.A.A.P. - Touch Arcaders Against Piracy. Over 500 members and counting. Join now!
02-22-2013, 06:58 PM
This is a solo game? Looks neat.

Last edited by Misguided; 02-22-2013 at 07:06 PM.
02-22-2013, 10:21 PM
It's pretty cool, a lot more depth than Levee en Masse, IMHO, with many different events and versatile commanders that can be used in multiple ways.

The instructions were decent but I loved how, as an example, the game went into great depth in explaining how building fires start and can be put out, but nowhere explained what the gameplay effect of a building being on fire is.

I then found reading the rules of the physical game, they make it so you can only fight off baddies at the closest range in their respective column. At the same time there actually are a couple of advantages to your buildings being on fire. If the zulus are currently in the space on fire you have a better chance they'll retreat in volleys and the light given off negates the usual night time fight penalties.

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
02-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Looks like a goodie, would like to get my hands on a physical copy of this game. Solitaire boardgames are very difficult to design but this looks cool, can't wait to play
02-23-2013, 03:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by thevagrant View Post
Here is a pretty good overview of the gameolay and rules from joel eddy:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=g...&v=-LwX2gZ-kOE
Great video. Subscribed.

Downloading...
02-23-2013, 04:32 AM
Speaking of Zulu and games, there is a game from 80s on ZX Spectrum and likely on Commodore 64 titled Zulu and which had a cassette art from the film Zulu. It was actually a very good turn based strategy game for 48k memory aystem. You'd see a village from top down view with huts, or trees, and maybe rocks scattered around. British forces could be formed in rectangular or square formations only this having their mobility limited, but had superior firepower. The Zulu were all individually moving mob of little men who could move around obstacles and swarm the British.