Support our Sponsors:

Old 02-27-2013, 02:47 AM

Default FFIV or Aralon?

Hey all.

So I've been looking for a RPG western or Japanese. I'm usually a console gamer, Divinity 2, Dark Souls, Dragon Age, Dragons Dogma.. But some of my favourite games are Baldurs Gate 2, Fallout 2 and Planescape.

Is FFIV worth the hefty price tag or is Aralon a worthy purchase?

What I'm looking for is:
Challenging game
Good combat
Lots to do
A very lengthy game

If there is another game that could be better fitting for me, let me know please. I, currently playing order and chaos and arcane legends (mmo's) but need a SP game also. I should also mention I already own Baldurs Gate on iPad but it still seems quite buggy.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 02-27-2013, 03:20 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Ravensword: shadowlands
https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/ravensword-shadowlands/id566839331?mt=8

If you have yet to try Bastion on your 360...you can try the ios version !
https://itunes.apple.com/en/app/bastion/id537773100?mt=8

What about The World Ends With You? The general consensus is that this is the best DS RPG and the port looks really pretty.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/world-ends-you-solo-remix/id545042359?mt=8
http://howlongtobeat.com/gamebreakdown.php?gameid=872

I noticed you didn't mention any JRPGs...but the Chaos Rings franchise on the iOS is pretty decent. It is nowhere near 'console quality' but they feel like decent upscaled PSP games.
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chaos-rings-ii-for-ipad/id495155111?mt=8

Last edited by violentv; 02-27-2013 at 03:29 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 03:21 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Well, Aralon is an action rpg where FF4 is turn based. Is FF4 worth the price? Yes. However,since you seem to like Baldur's gate have you considered any of Spiderweb's games? Both Avernum games and Avadon offer a massive content,more perhaps than FF4 and Aralon combined. Otherwise i'd take FF4 over Aralon any day,but that's personal taste.
Ravensword is a nice game but very short.
I totally second The World Ends With You! That game is really awesome.

Last edited by krautboy; 02-27-2013 at 03:47 AM..
Old 02-27-2013, 03:50 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Must admit i didnt like The World ends with you at all, found that all quite bizarre.

I'm a huge fan of Aralon so that gets my vote. HUGE open world to discover, a LOT of quests.

Ravensword 2 was very epic, great to look at but i didnt find it had that many quests compared to Aralon.

I was actually sad to finish Aralon ! Amazing epic game on iOS, really enjoyed it.

Not quite the same but if you like Diablo-ish type games i loved Dungeon Hunter 1 and 2 (Forget the 3rd, its a terrible arena game)
Old 02-27-2013, 05:25 AM

Thanks for all the input. I must have edited my other thread instead of this lol.

So .. Lost odyssey and tales of Vesperia and FF7 are 3 of my favourite games of all time. Love those. How long can FF4 last and is it really challenging as I need that lol.. Will check out The World Ends and is monster hunter anything like the console versions as they get a lot of praise?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:34 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

I totally loved Tales of Vesperia. Second only to Oblivion and Fallout 3 on the 360 in my book.

Get Final Fantasy IV only if you had not played it before, otherwise you might become bored, like me... Played as far as exploring the first castle since downloading and playing Dungeon Lore now instead.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:03 AM
iPad, iOS 4.x

Ff4 over aralon easy ff4 is 20 + hours with a good story
Old 02-27-2013, 08:07 AM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian86 View Post
That is not a good argument. I played Aralon for at least 35 hours and I finished the game with only 2 classes (out of 5 available).
Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 AM

Thanks. I've never played FF4 so could be a good choics considering how much I love ff7 and turn based fights.

Is Aleron 35 hours on one play through or was that two separate play throughs?

The World Will End With You looks ok.. Don't know if its really my type of game. 13.99 is a lot as well.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:09 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian86 View Post
This. It's hard to directly compare FFIV and Aralon. Aralon is a third person action RPG. Final Fantasy IV is a turn based isometric (?) japanese style RPG. FFIV is worth playing for the compelling plot and legacy, it stands up well and is challenging. FFIV has more detailed combat (which I prefer) and is a much "deeper" game (magic system is more robust, party management, various characters). Aralon was revolutionary (by iOS standards so still limited) and has more immersive world exploration (in my opinion the 3 dimensional third person view gives more detail). As a general recommendation Aralon is probably a safer download; but my preference is Final Fantasy IV.
Quote:
Originally Posted by violentv View Post
If you do go with a Crescent Moon RPG, I agree Ravensword: Shadowlands is a better starting point.