Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 02-28-2013, 10:15 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default When it comes to game testing

Hi all,

Just wondering if any devs here use testflightapp to help manage their testing workflow, any thoughts and feedback about the service? Do you think its better and easier using this service?

Also, is this forum a good place to ask for beta testers? Or would this be frowned upon?!

Thanks
Old 03-01-2013, 06:29 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

I wouldn't use this thread for beta testers. Developers can't test
Old 03-01-2013, 06:41 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

You're allowed to ask for beta testers here, typically it's done through an upcoming thread (in this sub-forum) for your game. Stick some artwork/screens/whatever you've got to drum up some interest and let them know what kind of info you need. I've seen a few using testflight but I've been out of the beta game for ages now, so I don't know if it's good or not.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Default +1 for TestFlight.

+1 for TestFlight.

If you want to coordinate a decent beta test I'd highly recommend using TestFlight. You need to make the process of getting the build onto the tester's device as easy as possible (in addition to getting crash reports). It's still not the easiest process using TestFlight but I don't think there is any easier way and it beats manual distribution hands down.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM
iPad 2, OS 4.x

Using Testflight right now. It's amazing. Very good for recruiting testers, extracting UDIDs, distributing builds, and collecting feedback. Highly recommended.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:54 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Good to know!

Thanks for the feedback guys/gals!

@MidianGTX - good to know! I'll maybe create a thread in the upcoming section. Actually would love some feedback on some of my graphics because i'm no designer for sure!..

@Freespirit - devs can't test but devs, as gamers, can yeah?...

@djskinner, @polygonplay - i'm thinking of using TestFlightApp, although simply as an easy means to install the test game/app. The SDK to report of stats/analytics is not necessarily required right? Only if you want to view testing stats yeah?

Cheers,
Old 03-02-2013, 03:13 AM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

@Appvism, that's the primary purpose we use it for. You can configure your build to exclude TestFlight for releases which are being submitted to the App Store so yeah, you can essentially disable the stats.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to raekess
Default Love TestFlight

We're using TestFlight. We originally got it to distribute our iOS builds to testers, but are looking into using it for Android as well.

It takes a bit to set up, but we've always been happy with it. Definitely worth our while.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:55 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

There is testing (for bugs/compatibility) and testing for game-play, ease of use and what else. For the second part (the most important) my best advice is this one: once you have something playable and think it's representing what's your game is all about, hand other a device to someone in front of you and let him play on his own. It should be the first time the player see your game. Don't say a word: just watch. This is gold, you'll learn so much about your game and realize it has so many flows. This feedback is priceless. The player might not be able to word the problem correctly, or even know there is a problem. It doesn't matter: watching him struggling right in front of you, will give you all the information you need to know. This way you can really make your game more playable and enjoyable to player. Remember: YOU are the worst person to test your game (because you know it inside out).

JC
Old 03-03-2013, 04:08 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

It's been a pleasure to have been a beta tester numerous times, and have to say Testflight is awesome, gotta love it.

Also, set up a social group, which is like your own private forum so you can have multiuser beta testing posts, so there is more interaction. It helps alot.