Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-03-2013, 09:16 PM
willzeng willzeng is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 207
Default Can admob give false data?

I just gave admob a try, 40$ budget a day. Now three days passed and the downloads are 0, 1, 0, seperately. It seems the campaign never launched, but they say there are more than 6,000 clicks already.

Can admob give false data? I cannot think of a second reason. Anyone who also tried admob? Similar experiences?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-04-2013, 01:37 AM
ThreeCubes's Avatar
ThreeCubes ThreeCubes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 732
Default

Well just had a look at you game on the AppStore and the three screenshots you have used seem to only show off your Iap upgrade screen and not gameplay?

It makes it look like you have loads of iaps.

Plus your app description is only one line and there are spelling errors in that.


Before you spend anymore money on ads I think you need to sort out your bad screenshots and description text.

Last edited by ThreeCubes; 03-04-2013 at 01:43 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-04-2013, 02:17 AM
willzeng willzeng is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCubes View Post
Well just had a look at you game on the AppStore and the three screenshots you have used seem to only show off your Iap upgrade screen and not gameplay?

It makes it look like you have loads of iaps.

Plus your app description is only one line and there are spelling errors in that.


Before you spend anymore money on ads I think you need to sort out your bad screenshots and description text.
Totally irrelevent. Just one day before the campaign, there are two downloads. I'm talking about possible false report, not asking advices on screenshots. (There screenshots are not iap. Some games are not suitable for static screenshots, don't even want to explain that.)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-04-2013, 02:38 AM
baris's Avatar
baris baris is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 237
Default

He means it's likely that people clicked, but did not buy the app, so it's relevant. I highly doubt AdMob would give false data, but I think a lot of ad clicks on mobile are probably just by mistake (at least, I know I 'misclick' on ads quite a bit on my iPhone).
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-04-2013, 03:06 AM
willzeng willzeng is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baris View Post
He means it's likely that people clicked, but did not buy the app, so it's relevant. I highly doubt AdMob would give false data, but I think a lot of ad clicks on mobile are probably just by mistake (at least, I know I 'misclick' on ads quite a bit on my iPhone).
There are misclicks, and most people who truly click won't buy it. That's true. But statistically speaking, you can always notice the campaign's running since the conversion rate is kind of stable.

Admob is the reason that I should believe the data, but I cannot explain it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-04-2013, 03:15 AM
willzeng willzeng is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 207
Default

By the way, accroding to the report, the CTR is around 1.7%, which is quite normal. So misclicks only played a trival role.

And I think the screenshots are not the main reason, since people who clicks are attacted by a banner no better than the screenshots.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-04-2013, 04:14 AM
ThreeCubes's Avatar
ThreeCubes ThreeCubes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzeng View Post
By the way, accroding to the report, the CTR is around 1.7%, which is quite normal. So misclicks only played a trival role.

And I think the screenshots are not the main reason, since people who clicks are attacted by a banner no better than the screenshots.
With such small download numbers you carnt get any meaningful statistics. Saying that you had 2 downloads the day before and now only one download hence you have seen a drop in sales is statistically unsound.

While your banner ad may have attracted some clicks anyone clicking on it would be put off by your one line description and no gameplay screen shots. They would expect to see more images than what are shown in the banner ad. If you carnt see why that would effect your downloads then There's no helping you.

You asked why after 6000 clicks only 1 sale, either admoblie is lying to you or there is something about your app page that is causing people not to buy.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 AM
willzeng willzeng is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 207
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeCubes View Post
With such small download numbers you carnt get any meaningful statistics. Saying that you had 2 downloads the day before and now only one download hence you have seen a drop in sales is statistically unsound.

While your banner ad may have attracted some clicks anyone clicking on it would be put off by your one line description and no gameplay screen shots. They would expect to see more images than what are shown in the banner ad. If you carnt see why that would effect your downloads then There's no helping you.

You asked why after 6000 clicks only 1 sale, either admoblie is lying to you or there is something about your app page that is causing people not to buy.
I didn't say it's a drop in sales. Just to say it has zero effect. And I don't think the screenshots zerofied it. Indeed there are tons of apps that don't use gameplay shots, and people like verbose descriptions to those of simplified are fifty to fifty.

I've used gameplay screenshots before, and I got statics via free sale campaign. The truth is, the idea of what type of screenshots are descisive is just imaginative. (The artwork matters more, though.)

Last edited by willzeng; 03-04-2013 at 04:59 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-04-2013, 06:34 AM
ThreeCubes's Avatar
ThreeCubes ThreeCubes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 732
Default

Out of interest what did you banner add look like?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:02 AM
willzeng willzeng is offline
Senior Member
iPad 2, iOS 4.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 207
Default

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=180098

FYI, either way achieved similar CTR. The previous one is run while the app is free, so I cannot tell the conversion rate.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent