• Publisher: Engient
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: iPad
  • Size: 42.9 MB
  • Version: 1.01
  • Price: $4.99
  • Average User Rating: 2.7 (3)
App description: 2nd Place Winner of Activision's 2011 Independent Games Competition.
....PLEASE NOTE: iPad 2 or later only (see below for more info)

Its a fascinating challenge. So fascinating that Im being dragged back into the swirling vortex of slightly adjusted gun placements even as I write this.
-RockPaperShotgun.com

PLAN, BUILD, & BATTLE FOR FREEDOM
Rigonauts is the fantastical building battle game from Engient. Snap together the ultimate vessel and send your crew of Hobs into battle. With a well designed ship and a clever plan, your crew will smash and blast past an assortment of strange and dangerous foes.

FEATURES
Endless Strategic Possibilities Plan, create, build your own version of the Rigo and to overcome the strengths and exploit the weaknesses of the evil Komondants naval forces.
Wacky Weaponry Command your Crewlin to man an arsenal of machine guns, cannons, flamers and more as you cripple enemy vessels in your way of freedom.
Armors, Shocks & Balloons Outfit your vessel with armor, shocks & even balloons to take on any enemy artillery and terrain imaginable.
Over 30 Levels Test the limits of your imagination as you build and battle through over 30 levels of fantastical foes and kooky Komandants.
Rigonauts Crew The Caplin commands the Crewlin, the gunners and Saplins who board enemy Komandant ships.

Technical Note 1: This game is designed for iPad 2 or later only.

Technical Note 2: Some users have reported being dumped out of the game. Recent update should fix this. If not please try rebooting your device and playing the game with no background apps.

goiMot's comments:

03-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Damn, not showing up in the US store.

03-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Oh man, I heard this was coming to iOS. I wonder how good the port is. The screenshots all have black letterboxes...

Playing: Pocket Mine 2, Terra Battle
Waiting:Last Class Heroes, Chaos Rings 3, Starships
GameCenter: StriveMind
03-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Does not look good, saw some reviews on the PC version and not very good, 5.5 - 6.5. Hopefully the iOS version is better, fingers crossed.
03-05-2013, 12:56 AM
Not on the PH appstore either. Is this supposed to be an upcoming game?

Exact-Psience My 2014 Top 10 Games of the Year: Monster Hunter Freedom Unite, Hearthstone, VVVVVV, Battleheart Legacy, Wayward Souls, Bug Heroes 2, Powerpuff Girls Defenders of Townsville, Deep Loot, Monument Valley, Bioshock Honorable Mentions: Traps N Gemstones, Bardbarian, Goblin Sword
03-05-2013, 06:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
Not on the PH appstore either. Is this supposed to be an upcoming game?
It's currently available on the Canadian app store. I don't know if it's a test or if it just came out here first.

03-05-2013, 06:42 AM
Damn this looks good I hope it's hitting the rest of the world today too.
03-05-2013, 06:46 AM
This game broke my interest in using android as a gaming platform. It was playable on an American GS3 but not an international one. Samsung had put Snapdragon chips in the US phones and not the rest of the world. This was a snapdragon exclusive, as some games are Tegra exclusive and so on and so on

Anyhoo, I went out a got an iPad because of this (that and Battle Academy) and have never regretted it. I only hope there is no such silliness with this release, I am becoming tired of regional exclusives.

Games that will never leave my iPad : Great Big Wargame, Battle Academy, Battle of the Bulge, Ravenmark and Hunters 2.
03-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Is there any news that this is coming out tonight or is it some kind of soft launch ?
03-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Ok, I'm thoroughly enjoying this. And yes, it's out in Canada, but I have no idea if it's a soft launch or whatever; the developer site/Facebook/Twitter has no mention of the release.

Quick impressions:

Build a giant tank, load it with guns, and destroy the enemy tank. Basically.

As you progress, more weapon types, pieces, and material types unlock. You're up against increasingly more difficult enemy vehicles. Stars are awarded per level based on how many construction pieces you've used, and how many weapons. Failing a level and don't care about stars? Then construct a monster and just devastate the enemy.

Construction pieces and weapon types matter, because each has different strengths and weaknesses in both how they work and what material they're made of. For example, wood is weak against fire, rock against explosive, etc. Also, bullets fire straight but cannons lob their shots like a mortar.

Construction controls work really well, letting you move, rotate, rotate on a joint, and even assemble and move groups (if they're not yet attached to the main tank).

Before battle you may also prioritize targets for your tank to fire at.

You have no direct control during combat itself. In a way this is like Gratuitous Space Battles. However, the AI does an excellent job at both firing, and trying to position your tank to let non-critical structures take the brunt of the damage.

Graphics are great, and there are no black-bars when playing on iPad 3. There is a lack of anti-aliasing though, but it doesn't detract from the gameplay.

Unfortunately, there's no Game Center.

Overall, definitely recommended as a bizarre genre-mix of bridge construction, Gratuitous Space Battles, and Angry Birds.