Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 03-08-2013, 03:16 AM

Default GameSalad Game Quality V Stencyl

Hi All
I'm sure this has been talked about to death, but I'm new to this and
thought I might get a couple of opinions.

I've looked at both Game Salad & Stencyl, and it seems that the
game salad games look much more polished app games, title, graphics, sounds level lock screens etc. They just follow the typical app format.

Stencyl games look much more retro and lower quality. ( no disrespect to Stencyl developers)

Anyone any thoughts on this do more professional developers with better resources use gamesalad and Stencyl is more aimed at the amateur market.

Steve
Old 03-08-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewh View Post
Hi All
I'm sure this has been talked about to death, but I'm new to this and
thought I might get a couple of opinions.

I've looked at both Game Salad & Stencyl, and it seems that the
game salad games look much more polished app games, title, graphics, sounds level lock screens etc. They just follow the typical app format.

Stencyl games look much more retro and lower quality. ( no disrespect to Stencyl developers)

Anyone any thoughts on this do more professional developers with better resources use gamesalad and Stencyl is more aimed at the amateur market.

Steve
Hmm, by any chance, are you Steve Felter, CEO of GameSalad?
Old 03-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to MarkFromBitmenStudios

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewh View Post

Professional developers use professional tools. These non-coding tools are both for amateurs.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromBitmenStudios View Post
Professional developers use professional tools. These non-coding tools are both for amateurs.
You can get the best of both worlds with the Playmaker plugin in Unity3D.
Non-coding in a pro tool
Old 03-10-2013, 03:48 AM
iPhone 5s, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Yeah, but professionals can use tools like that to create professional quality games. So could an amateur.

I haven't published a game using GameSalad nor Stencyl (although I have published mobile games) but in playing around with them I'd go with Stencyl if I were going to create a game to be published (I actually do plan on doing that later this year). For one thing, if it doesn't give you what you want, you can "dive under the hood" and code things in Haxe. I don't believe GameSalad gives you a code option at all.

Jay
Old 03-20-2013, 07:00 AM

Game salad is total crap, I haven't tried Stencyl yet (probbly wont, using unity now)
Old 03-20-2013, 07:20 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Quote:
I agree but theres lots of people out there who dont have the time to get into proper development tools but would love to create their own game. Gamesalad can produce some decent platformers (i've got a few). When a gamesalad game is say 69p its not exactly that expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpderp View Post
Game salad is total crap, I haven't tried Stencyl yet (probbly wont, using unity now)
Have you played every single Gamesalad game ? I agree earlier games were very poor but i presume there must be a lot of updates as some later Gamesalad games were very impressive (other people here in game threads didnt realise it was a gamesalad game either from the screenshots).

If a game plays well i dont care what its written in, as i said above when a gamesalad game is often 69p (or free) its not bad at all.
Old 03-20-2013, 11:14 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Has GameSalad fixed it's annoying load times? It's not a particularly good thing when the one aspect that gives away the fact a game is made with GS is that it takes freakin' forever to load everything.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:37 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Although many more hobbyists may be more prone to using gamesalad and/or stencyl instead of unity (i guess) it doesn't mean you can't produce good quality on either of these platforms conpared with unity. I've only briefly looked at all three and unity does seem to be a lot more in depth and comprehensive. But to be a professional dev doesn't mean you have to use unity.

With regards to the OP's thread question, my general impression was actually the opposite - gamesalad looks more "meh" than stencyl. End of the day, it boils down to you rather than the tool/software - i'm sure you could build something really professional on either.

Just whatever you feel best and most comfortable to use to achieve your game, whether gamasalad, stencyl or unity - or whatever else!
Old 08-02-2013, 12:03 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

The recent hit "Impossible Pixel" is made with Stencyl as far as I know. It reached #2 Top Free in US.
Still there are many reviews saying it "too much lagging"