★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

China: anyone have success with premium apps there?

03-09-2013, 06:22 PM
China: anyone have success with premium apps there?

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone had any luck selling premium apps with no iap in China?

My $1.99 game released 3 days ago has a decent following there with 519 installs. Only problem is that only 4 of them were legit paid versions So that's what, 99.3% piracy rate? Even had 29 fake 10$ tips! Guess they want to hack virtual high fives too

I have next to no piracy problem anywhere else in the world, the numbers match nearly 100% surprisingly. It's just there.

Dungeon Plunder: an iOS Roguelike - Play for free now! Follow the updates on Twitter and on Facebook.
TA Forum Thread? Right here. Soundtrack is on iTunes
03-10-2013, 03:38 AM
Our installs in China are practically all pirated copies as well. However, we haven't localized the game or App Store description to Chinese, and I could see that making a difference (nobody buying an app with an English description while people just download whatever makes it into the new cracked releases).

What $10 tips are you referring to? Do you have a tip jar iAP? Any idea how well that works, yet?
03-10-2013, 04:41 AM
China has a high download rate and low conversion rate for my 'free + unlock full' games for kids. Every now end then there would be an actual purchase from china - but it never picked up yet.

I sometimes wonder about the potential in properly localising the keywords, descriptions, I guess it's worth a try.

Super Ninja Therapy for iPhone and iPad

Tiny Fireman for iPhone and iPad

http://samuramu.com
03-10-2013, 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipp_S View Post
What $10 tips are you referring to? Do you have a tip jar iAP? Any idea how well that works, yet?
Still early but I do get a few each day which I appreciate. Keep in mind though that the game is very iap friendly with no currency/gems purchases or gold/exp doublers and that kind of things. Might not work so well if you already have those options.

Quote:
I sometimes wonder about the potential in properly localising the keywords, descriptions, I guess it's worth a try.
I'm sure there's some devs who've done it reading. Would be nice to chime in.

Dungeon Plunder: an iOS Roguelike - Play for free now! Follow the updates on Twitter and on Facebook.
03-10-2013, 03:50 PM
Had a PM asking me how to track unpaid installs: I use Flurry, which I also use to track player metrics like how the various game classes perform etc but there might be better other options.