Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 03-10-2013, 10:36 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Default Going with a publisher worth it?

Hi,

I'd be happy to hear the opinion of other developers about this important matter.

I have published my first app/game around 5 months ago and it sold around 150 units so far. I don't know how good this result is for a first app, but considering I've spent aound 9 months building and polishing it and even some money for tools/stock music the income was a bit disappointing..

Now i'm soon going to build my second game but I'm wondering whether i should try going with a publisher or keep marketing my games by myself, as i think that maybe the more games I have out there the more chance of success and income i have.

Usually my marketing budget is 0$ so I would repeat what I did for my first game and what indie devs usually do (Sending emails to review sites, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)

The main advantage of going with a publisher like Chillingo i can think of is: much better exposure. The minus are probably: The game takes longer to be made (i'm not doing it full-time, so it might take TOO long) and you've probably some extra annoying restrictions on your app.

What's your advice about this matter?
Old 03-10-2013, 04:25 PM
iPhone 4, OS 4.x

I would say if you can get a publisher, go for it. It's almost impossible to get any traction without a marketing budget in the app store these days. If you have big success you can always go solo again later. If (big IF) your last app was good enough to attract a publisher you would have made much more than $150.

Just my quick 2 cents worth.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:54 PM
Developer
iPhone 6

If you have no idea on how your game can be sold out there, you will need an publisher.

If you have no idea on how good your game is in the current condition of the App Store, you will need a publisher too.

Just my own opinion to share.

Good luck with your game!
Old 03-11-2013, 02:51 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Don't go with Chillingo/EA, their reputation is mud. They will just force you to add inapps for no reason, add updates to increase inapp costs when no one buys them, turn the game to freemium in one month, and no one will be eager to buy your game with their lousy reputation. Sure they used to be a good publisher, but no more. Find some other publisher if you are going to go that route.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

^But is that because you cant stand freemium/IAP's etc ?

I think he should wait to hear from other devs not just users who dont like 'company a' because they release lots of freemium etc.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:35 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Thanks for your valuable suggestions! If someone has still other opinions/experences to share it'd be great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Don't go with Chillingo/EA, their reputation is mud. They will just force you to add inapps for no reason, add updates to increase inapp costs when no one buys them, turn the game to freemium in one month, and no one will be eager to buy your game with their lousy reputation. Sure they used to be a good publisher, but no more. Find some other publisher if you are going to go that route.
Are you sure?

Well, I'm not a big fan of freemium games so if they ask me "turn your game freemium in 1 month" I'd be a bit concerned. (And I don't think it's something I can do in 1 month).

My intention was going with Chillingo, as I contacted them for info a few months ago and they seemed nice. They asked me to send a demo once it's ready.

But I'm still unsure whether I should continue with the "Do-It-Yourself" route or not..
Old 03-11-2013, 11:02 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to MarkFromBitmenStudios

Most publishers are either very picky about the games they publish or they are worthless, there's little room in-between. It's best to have a look at their existing portfolio to check any synergies with your game.

In case of doubt, you can always contact them and see what they have to say. Even if they don't want to publish your game, you should get some valuable feedback.

Overall, there's no magic a publisher can do, you need a good game with a strong first impression (gfx, trailer, easy to communicate gameplay) to get a deal with a renowned publisher and you need the same to have any chances of success without one.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by psj3809 View Post
^But is that because you cant stand freemium/IAP's etc ?

I think he should wait to hear from other devs not just users who dont like 'company a' because they release lots of freemium etc.
No, have always supported many companies that have published freemium games or have inapps. I have long been a defender of companies like Gameloft, Madfinger, or others. Bulkypix seems to have been picking up some steam.

It has to do more with the steady loss of reputation when it deals with Chillingo/EA. Chillingo used to be the shining star of publishers, but it has changed alot recently, and this is important to note.

While I agree that this thread should be used more for developers to share their experiences and recommends with publishers; it nonetheless is important to hear the end user - the gamers.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:55 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

If you do decide to go with a publisher, be prepared to make drastic changes to your game to match whatever formula they use.

Last edited by Blackharon; 03-11-2013 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: oops... public dev forum
Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ologon View Post
Thanks for your valuable suggestions! If someone has still other opinions/experences to share it'd be great

Are you sure?

Well, I'm not a big fan of freemium games so if they ask me "turn your game freemium in 1 month" I'd be a bit concerned. (And I don't think it's something I can do in 1 month).

My intention was going with Chillingo, as I contacted them for info a few months ago and they seemed nice. They asked me to send a demo once it's ready.

But I'm still unsure whether I should continue with the "Do-It-Yourself" route or not..
Since it seems to be your first time, it may well be best to go with a publisher to help with exposure and to learn from this experience. I've seen so many Indies not be able to get exposure or not make some good marketing decisions and fail. While going with a publisher doesn't guarantee any success, it would help I would think since they know the ropes.

But do your research well on the different publishers. It might do you well to start a thread in the general gaming forum asking gamers here what their favorite publishers are and why. Or asking some of the most seniors here who they would recommend for you to contact. Make sure to start an upcoming game thread in the upcoming section, and it maybe a good idea to get some good beta testers from here to help suggest improvements and spread the word.

Good luck, hope you do well.

Last edited by Connector; 03-11-2013 at 01:41 PM..