Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-12-2013, 07:05 AM

Default Aureus for iPhone and iPod Touch

Hey everybody!

I'm proud to present Galta's first game: Aureus!

Aureus is a nice little twist on the classic tile matching game formula, which concept I had in mind for some time now. Try it if you wonder what it is to play some sort of bejeweled game in the dark, with most of the blocks hidden from your sight. The game demands strategy of course, but above all lots of memory (or speed, if you have the memory span of a goldfish!)

Aureus offers the two game modes expected from tile matching games (endless and time limit), plus an online mode which lets you fight other players live, both locally and over internet (I missed playing Tetris with friends on my HP48!). It also features an upgrade system based on virtual coins (purely virtual, with no in-app purchases).

Here's a small video. Nothing fancy, but it should give you an idea of the gameplay:

Youtube link | Pop Up

Enjoy!

Old 03-12-2013, 07:10 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Old 03-12-2013, 04:30 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 5.x

Hi!

I've played a little of both endurance and time trial mode. At first, you can see a board with several figures of different shapes and colors. Then, the screen goes dark, and you need to remember where the pieces of the same color and shape that are adjacent to each other are, and remove them from the board by selecting them with your finger (you can match a minimum of 2 pieces). If you miss one when selecting, the already selected pieces will darken and you need to start over.

However, (if I understand it correctly), the machine will be overheating with time, meaning game over when it reachs the max. The overheat will be reduced when you select figures of the same color and shape, but when you miss (you select different figures by mistake) the machine will be overheating faster. So you need to be fast, and remember where the figures are when it's getting dark.

I need to get the hang of the game, but my first impressions are very positive. I like it!
Old 03-12-2013, 05:07 PM

Thanks gabikun!

Exactly: the idea is that the bigger match you make, the more point and coins you get. Hence the best way to play is to make a series of small matches to regroup similar blocks, and then one big final match with the biggest group you can.

That is, if you don't forget its shape, as the balance between memorization and speed can be pretty hard to master as the speed increases!

Also, upgrade the machine as soon as you can, to slow down the overheating, or to reduce the impact of your mistakes. This will make you last much longer!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 AM

Ok, played a little more (and I'm pretty high in the leaderboards now :P). Awesome puzzle game. Right now I have 1 question:

How does the "speed bonus" work exactly? I've been fast when doing matches but only half the time got the "speed bonus" message.

And... maybe an exploit here. If you pause the game, when you continue it, the game select a free hint to you. And not an easy one, it selects the best match you can do. So, it can be used when preparing a big match: get rid of the trash, pause the game, and get ready to get bonus points.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 AM

I was watching you rise in the leaderboards

So there are 2 conditions to have a speed bonus:
- you must match at least 4 blocks
- the time difference between the new match and the last one must be inferior to a certain amount which depends on the number of blocks (basically the more blocks in your new match, the more time you have to get the speed bonus)

Hence doing quick 2 or 3 block matches won't produce a speed bonus, but you can get one by doing a much slower but very big match. Time bonuses can multiply the current matches' points by up to 5, so it's really something to look for!

I went back and forth many times with the hints on resume, but haven't found a better solution. However the help it provide is mitigated by the fact that pressing pause does not instantly stop and resume the game: the blocks continue to fall and the pressure continues to increase during the (short) animation. This means that when things get really fast, pressing pause just to have a "free" hint can be quite dangerous

Hence at high speed it's much safer to use additional hints bought from the store.

That being said, I should probably reduce a bit the pertinence of hints when resuming from pause, if only for the Time Trial mode. I'll do this for the next update, thanks!

Speaking of the store, have you tried playing online? I fear there's not a lot of people yet to play random strangers, but if you have 2 devices or a friend with the game, it's the fastest way to produce coins (well, at least when you win )
Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 AM

Ok, now that I know about the "speed" feature, I've been able to score even more!

I've tried to exploit the "pause" feature, but, strangely, I didn't my best highscores with it, so it seems not to be an exploit at all...

Just more questions: the x2 and x4 blocks multiplies your total gained score by that ammount? playing the time attack mode, I went from 100.000 points to 900.000 in just one move (I did a rectangle, breaking some x2 and x4 blocks in the process, with speed bonus).

I liked your game so much, that I paid it to send it to a friend, to try the multiplayer (and to thank you for the code). Good job!
Old 03-14-2013, 12:36 PM

Hey, thanks for promoting the game, and let me know what you think of multiplayer!

The X2 and X4 are added together, and then multiplied by the score you would have made otherwise. For example, if you make a match which would normally score 3 000 points, but there are one X2 and two X4, your final score would be 3 000 * (2+4+4) = 30 000. In your case you must have made a huge match with *lots* of multipliers!

That's exactly how I play myself: I try to group multipliers together, then to group some squares (of any color) and explode everything in one shot.

And to completely explain scoring: the basic score (before multipliers) is dependent on the speed, the number of blocks, the level and the current state of your upgrades. The biggest factor is the number of blocks of course.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:05 AM

Hello again!

I'm releasing a small 1.0.2 update today, and I have a dozen promo codes for you in the "Promo codes and contest" section.

I'm also preparing a much bigger update for the end of the month, whose main feature will be native iPad support.

But this 1.1 update will also contain some changes in the game speed, and I'd be really interested in your feedback: I think the final speed is great (when everything is upgraded), but the initial speed might be a bit slow, and I fear that it might turn people away from the game.

-> if any of you manage to grab a promo code, I'd be really happy to hear your opinion. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:37 AM

I've been playing with my friend, and both thought multiplayer was awesome! There are some things that didn't understand:

- I'm a little more experienced in this game than my mate, and because of that I won the majority of times... except for one. She beats me in only ONE move! and the game told that too. How was it? I tried to do the same but couldn't!

- Do one-player upgrades affect multiplayer?