Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-13-2013, 03:28 PM
iPhone 3GS, iOS 5.x

Default The Croods (Rovio Entertainment Ltd) [Universal]

Quote:
From the creators of Angry Birds and the creative minds at DreamWorks Animation: a FREE new game based on the upcoming motion picture phenomenon!

Meet the world’s first modern family: The Croods! These cavemen are breaking out of the Stone Age with the use of a new r-evolutionary tool: the IDEA! The Croods will Hunt & Gather their way through spectacular new landscapes as they tame fantastic and never-seen-before creatures. Help The Croods survive the wild…and each other!

Pre-hysterical Features:
● Trap & tame 10 evolutionarily mixed- up creatures! You’ve never seen anything like the Girelephant or Molarbear! Think you can catch them all?
● Create wacky inventions with Grug to open and explore new areas!
● Decorate your pre-historic world with the latest in caveman fashion accessories!
● Meet your favorite characters from the feature animation film from DreamWorks Animation!

PLEASE NOTE! The Croods is completely free to play, but some in-game items can be purchased for real money. If you don’t want to use this feature, please disable in-app purchases
Quote:
Requirements: Compatible with iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPod touch (3rd generation), iPod touch (4th generation), iPod touch (5th generation) and iPad. Requires iOS 4.3 or later. This app is optimized for iPhone 5.
Quote:
Free on iTunes
27.9 MB

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 03-14-2013 at 11:11 PM..
Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM

Default Game Impressions

I downloaded the game and play the tutorial and more... close the app and a few minutes after the game restarted...
Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 PM

Default Game Impressions

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 03-14-2013, 05:45 PM
iPad

Is it just me or is this totally devoid of charm? I can't stand the ugly characters and the monsters that are neither real nor fantastic, merely grotesque breeds (fanged rabbits, bear molerats, etc). The scenery is cute, but overall this is way worse than even Tap Zoo or similar ancient games.
The gameplay is cookie and cutter freemium, played for a couple hours and couldn't find anything that wasn't done (better...) before.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
Is it just me or is this totally devoid of charm? I can't stand the ugly characters and the monsters that are neither real nor fantastic, merely grotesque breeds (fanged rabbits, bear molerats, etc). The scenery is cute, but overall this is way worse than even Tap Zoo or similar ancient games.
The gameplay is cookie and cutter freemium, played for a couple hours and couldn't find anything that wasn't done (better...) before.
Ah, you realize these characters and animals are all part of a movie right? The GAME didn't invent them.

It's not a bad twist on the genre to be honest. Lots of quests to guide you through.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:11 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

This is a seriously weird thing.

You've got Rovio with more mad money than any mobile developer who could have done ANYTHING they wanted.

You've got Dream Works, a production company of no small resources and clout who can and does hire Rovio to make them a movie tie-in.

And what they make is a light weight economics based city builder, only, it's skinned with Croods graphics.

Your "city" is able to mine one raw resource in perpetuity, we'll call them Berries. Berries are refined at a factory, we'll call it a Molarbear, into a finished form we'll call Carrots. Carrots are then sent to one of two factories, we'll call them Bunny Beasts and Giralephants, which are able to utilize carrots to make one of two products, Leaves and Stones, and so on.

Excess resources may be sold on the market, for some reason called Ugga , which yields money and a limited resource your city needs for improving the efficiency of your factories' production rates.

It is a truly odd chimera. Excellent background music, movie appropriate dialog and quest flavoring, but, at it's core, everything, even the animal collecting mechanic, is shoehorned onto what is indistinguishable beyond the graphics from a relatively decent lightweight city building sim.

So far, timers are minimally invasive, but I still can't tell what sort of pay bump/wall the game has. There is one early creature, the Bank ne Owlbear if you will, which sells your city's Berries automatically in the background for gold, which can only be housed via the game's premium currency (and no small amount either, it would cost you nearly $5 to buy it), but they do give you way more than enough buy it at the beginning. The longer term question is just how many more of these pay-fenced animals are they, and just how high is that fence? What I can't tell is if they mean for the currency to be truly a luxury (the smallest amount you can buy is $5 worth) and it really is some sort of high end movie ad that is meant to be enjoyed for free unless you're nuts, or if it's a, "hey, kid, first hit's free!" situation.

So, at any rate, high production values, a cut above your average freemium builder, but it doesn't much feel like an organic Croods game. Conversely, it IS Rovio doing it, so I'm going to stick with it for at least the next week and see what happens as I start to grease the gears of stone age capitalism with enough soup. So far, this seems to be the closest thing the game has to a hook: seeing how efficient you can get the machine.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:35 AM

A couple more days in and starting to feel like this is another victim of a bunch of suits sitting around a room throwing out game design ideas, and Rovio, looking down at the number of zeros on the check, nodding away enthusiastically.

There's no cohesive vision whatsoever here, and what is here is often fighting with itself.

For example, one of the most expensive and in your face premium currency upgrades is evolving the berry bushes. Everything in the game flows from the bottleneck of the berry bushes but, the berry bush has a production time of only 10s/berry. It starts out with a cap of holding 6 berries before you collect, after two upgrades for 150 crystals (~$5), the cap is a whole 24, and another 200 crystals gets you to a whole 48. Essentially, there is no reason to upgrade the berry bush ever (outside of the tutorial where you have to in order to move on). Everything that requires berries requires more berries than the max cap can provide, so you're always going to be spending time in the game waiting on accumulating enough berries to prime the berry pumps to leave the game for a bit, and since that time is just a few minutes, and you're going to have to wait on enough carrots anyhow to prime the carrot based "factories", it's not like it's any sort of an inconvenience worth that sort of money.

Which brings up vision conflict number two: It's too slow and non-engaging of a game to stay in, yet it's too active of a game to leave. The way they've timed the elements in the production chain, you really don't get all that far unless you stay in the game constantly tapping on berry bushes and feeding Molarbears and so on until you've filled up the cave with berries and maybe even carrots and topped off all the longer animals, but that takes a long while of active play, far longer than the process is interesting.

Lastly, vision conflict number three: this is a Croods game, right? Oh, sure, it *looks* like a Croods game, but the people are purely window dressing. Might was well be a menu entry since that's all they function as. You tap on the grandmother to get your level up quest list*. You tap on Ugga to reach the market/soup production. You tap on Grug to get to the area expanding and other menu/character unlocking quests. After another several of these expensive quests, I'll unlock Thunk and get to see what sort of static function he serves. The Simpsons, as shallow of a game as it is, is genius next to this game in terms of having the characters be *part* of your game.

Then, did I mention the game requires an internet connection, because it does even though there is no good reason for doing so beyond the standard "omigosh, somebody might edit their save file to give themselves a bunch of premium currency if we don't force them to be online at all times", and the servers are your standard first week "we didn't want to spend much on servers" reliable, and even though it does automatically give you neighbors via Game Center, the game launched with NOTHING to do with neighbors other than literally just visit them, yet all the villages look mostly the same, even their built in "factory showcase" friendly neighbor with everything in the game upgraded to max (nice way to maintain the sense of discovery), but if you plan to actually have your game saved online along with any premium currency you may have been insane enough to buy, you need to sign up for a Rovio account...

As odd as Temple Run Brave for the previous Dream Works movie tie-in game may have seemed, it was theoretical physics next to this car wreck.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:22 AM

I agree that the bottleneck of the game is the production of berries. Watch it to collect more - or leave and not get enough. The quests and all are great but sometimes seem to take forever because of that whole food chain mechanic.

Couple that with servers that are unreliable and its a game I am not sure I want to invest too much time into. I am curious to see what comes next so MAYBE I will continue but not at a frenetic pace I usually give these types of games.

Still not sure why you need to have a Rovio account either - that AND Game Center? Is it really like C.Hannum said? To prevent hackers?
Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

The first thing I thought when I saw the movie trailer was "I just don't want to sit looking at these ugly characters for 90 minutes". Even the Elephant Man had a certain charm about him.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Gamer View Post
I am curious to see what comes next so MAYBE I will continue but not at a frenetic pace I usually give these types of games.
I'm trying to stay curious, I am, but if something doesn't change significantly after I unlock Thunk, I'm going to have to delete this one and see what, if anything, future updates do to improve the lack of design before considering picking it up again.

Right now, I feel like I am playing a transportation chief sim with freemium timers.