Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 03-13-2013, 03:39 PM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Learning from failures and successes

Hey guys,
Just hoping some of you could share the background into why any of your games failed or succeeded.

Game sales much lower than you expected? What do you think could have been done differently to improve sales?

Game sales much higher than anticipated?
What can you attribute this to, and attempt to recreate for another game?

Very broad topic, but ultimately this is just what I'm always hoping to gain from reading through the developers forums.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 PM
iPad, iOS 4.x

great tips, LinQsta, thanks for sharing!!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to TheFootballPlaybook

I am going through the release of my app right now...i just made a post here about what i plan to do t=182040http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=182040

@LinQsta great post. looking into adding sharing on social networks as a result!
my game has solutions to its puzzles so it would be cool for people to share their solution. if you have any comments on my plan they would be much appreciated.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:42 AM

"Give the app a clear title and add some good keywords in the title to get some extra SEO, I.e. Bingo Dash - addictive and fun gambling game with chat features"

I think, you gave some great advice up there, but I'm not so sure about adding keyword-rich taglines to app names. They can quickly look spammy, and it looks like Apple has reduced the impact of app titles on app store placement anyway: http://de.slideshare.net/kolinko/new...p-store-search
Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 AM
Developer
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Great Tips @LinQsta. I think now days you need a long term plan, the success is not coming with just one app (you got to be a lucky genius) . You need an audience and many apps you can cross marketing each other and maybe one of them will be your bestseller.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinQsta View Post
Before I tested this kind of title, I was in the same boat. However, having relaunched the app and tested this theory, my app is getting a very healthy stream of downloads per day, where the previous version I was getting no downloads per day.

When it comes to the strongest powered keywords, app title is considered higher than keywords, so your app is more likely to come up than a competitor who has similar keywords.
I thought apple had changed the policy on app names ranking higher in keywords as people started to post apps with massive names. I'm pretty sure this is not true now.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:56 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

One good idea for testing your App Icon (since it is really critical), is to A/B test it on an ad network. Make two ads with the same copy but different icons and see which has a better click through rate.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Default Feedback, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinQsta View Post
Instead, think of your app in the same way as launching a new website, it may appear on the Internet, but unless anyone knows about it, you will get no traffic and hence no sales.
@LinQsta I'd like to also thank you for your detail reply back and your feedback - I do especially like your quote above, so true!