• Publisher: Timecode
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 45.4 MB
  • Version: 1.08
  • Price: $3.99
  • Average User Rating: 4.5 (2)
App description: Totems is a new board game featuring: maps, topology and of course strategy! If you enjoy Risk, Carcassonne, Go, Stratego, or even Uno or Solitaire, you will love the easy-to-learn, hard-to-master fun of this game.

@ 148 Apps: Its addicting, a pleasure to play, and has earned a permanent spot on my device.

@ App Advice: It is heavy on strategy, but light on rules... you will be guaranteed endless amounts of fun.

@ Pocket Tactics: Totems manages to challenge some of the basic assumptions of strategy gaming with its all-or-nothing take on territory control, while still being simple enough to learn in an afternoon. For that alone, it deserves to plant its standard on your iDevices shores. Score: 5 of 5!

@ App Store: Featured by Apple in "Best New Games!"

GAME DESCRIPTION

The game design is derived from the world-famous 4-Color Map Theorem. The randomness of the totems in your hand, the changing colors of the territories, the variety of the maps, and the cleverness of your opponents will all conspire to make each turn a fun and interesting challenge.

The object of the game is to place carved animal pieces (totems) on the map in order to claim territories. Each turn you will place matching totems on adjacent territories to expand your control of the map. The player who conquers the most territories when the map is full, wins. A game of Totems can be finished super-quickly or slowly, depending on your skills and your approach.

GAME FEATURES

===> Offline and Online Game Modes
Match wits against computer-controlled characters. Take on your friends in Multi-player mode over Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. Or compete with random internet players, any time of day.

===> Opposing General A.I.
Battle 5 generals: Scout, Warrior, Shaman, War Chief, and more. Each with different personalities and skills that range from easy to hard. Youll need to keep your wits sharp to beat them all!

===> Build Your Rep
Take your picture and easily create a custom icon with your face on it! Every player is given an ELO rating like in chess, that tells opponents your relative level of skill and experience.

===> Maps
Maps come in all shapes and sizes with varying numbers of territories and difficulty level. Update your app for new releases.

===> HD Graphics and Sound.
It's more than just a board game when you hear the whistle of the wind, the cry of a wolf, and watch the clouds glide across the map. The "Spaghetti Western" musical track completes the engrossing experience!

===> IMPORTANT
For online games you must register in Game Center

TouchArcade Bot's comments:

03-15-2013, 03:53 PM
This looks great! Any impressions?

03-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Does look interesting, doesn't it?
03-15-2013, 05:58 PM
It definitely looks intriguing, despite the fact that I have no Earthly idea what's happening...

DBC

I give up.
03-15-2013, 07:39 PM
Alright, here's how it works. Each turn you place an animal totem of your color on the board. If there are any adjacent territories with the same totem, that group gets larger, and you capture the entire group. So if there is a group of three territories with red cobras, and you place a green cobra next to them, there will now be a group of four green cobras.

At the end of the game, the point value of a group is the square of the size, so 3 territories is worth 9, 4 is worth 16, etc. up to a max of 64 for a group of 8. As you can imagine, playing the next to last possible move in an area can be dicey. This feels like a game where turn order has a large impact, at least with 2 players.

You can't see the pieces your opponent has, but you can see the total number of each totem remaining in either an opponent hand or in the draw pile.

I've only played a couple of 2-way games on the smallest map (there are 4) against the easiest AI (there are 5) but no complaints with the controls so far and the production values are decent.

Not a super deep game, but if you would be interested in a casual/family-friendly strategy game, give it a spin. Local and online multiplayer. I dont think it has pass and play, but does support multiple profiles.

Last edited by Misguided; 03-16-2013 at 12:07 AM.
03-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Alright...I'll bite. Bought. For $1, I can't resist.

The basic point of the game is to occupy the most amount of territory at the end of the game. Each turn, you will place one of your animal totems on an unoccupied space on the map. For each territory you control, you get points. At the end of your turn, you're "dealt" another totem piece. the game ends when all territories are occupied. The person with the most points at the end of the game wins.

Here's where the strategy comes in. There's a limited number of each animal totems available. When you place one of your totems adjacent to a space claimed by the same kind of animal, you claim all of the touching spaces and the point value increases. It's got a real Othello/Reversi feel to it. You have to balance claiming new territories with a different kind of animal, or using the same animal and claiming larger territories, but then you risk allowing the opponent to take it back and getting a bigger score.

I've played a few games so far. Graphics are nice. The pieces "feel" real. When you drop the piece on the board, it's got a little bounce to it, which gives it a feel of weight. It's got a real Reiner Knizia vibe to it. If you like land claiming strategy games, then this is a no brainier for $1.

A few more details worth noting...

-Game has single player, local wifi, what appears to be asynchronous multiplayer via Game Center.
-You are given an ELO rating, which I assume will be used to match you against similarly skilled opponents.
-Minimal stats: Current ELO, Max ELO, Win/Loss record
-16 Game Center cheevos.

Bottom line...just buy it. It's only $1 right now.

Xbox Gamertag & Game Center: CzarCastic
03-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
Alright...I'll bite. Bought. For $1, I can't resist.

The basic point of the game is to occupy the most amount of territory at the end of the game. Each turn, you will place one of your animal totems on an unoccupied space on the map. For each territory you control, you get points. At the end of your turn, you're "dealt" another totem piece. the game ends when all territories are occupied. The person with the most points at the end of the game wins.

Here's where the strategy comes in. There's a limited number of each animal totems available. When you place one of your totems adjacent to a space claimed by the same kind of animal, you claim all of the touching spaces and the point value increases. It's got a real Othello/Reversi feel to it. You have to balance claiming new territories with a different kind of animal, or using the same animal and claiming larger territories, but then you risk allowing the opponent to take it back and getting a bigger score.

I've played a few games so far. Graphics are nice. The pieces "feel" real. When you drop the piece on the board, it's got a little bounce to it, which gives it a feel of weight. It's got a real Reiner Knizia vibe to it. If you like land claiming strategy games, then this is a no brainier for $1.

A few more details worth noting...

-Game has single player, local wifi, what appears to be asynchronous multiplayer via Game Center.
-You are given an ELO rating, which I assume will be used to match you against similarly skilled opponents.
-Minimal stats: Current ELO, Max ELO, Win/Loss record
-16 Game Center cheevos.

Bottom line...just buy it. It's only $1 right now.
Nice, I'm in!

Tim "Lord Gek" Jordan, Game Consultant
OpenFeint, Plus+, & Twitter: LordGek
GameCenter, Crystal, & iTunes: Lord Gek
My iTunes Reviews
03-15-2013, 08:41 PM
I'm in too!
03-15-2013, 10:26 PM
No iPhone 5 support?
03-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the impressions. It sounds interesting enough I'll give it a try.