Support our Sponsors:

Old 03-15-2013, 04:52 PM

Default Totems

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by Echoseven; 03-19-2013 at 05:05 AM..
Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

This looks great! Any impressions?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:48 PM

Does look interesting, doesn't it?
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

It definitely looks intriguing, despite the fact that I have no Earthly idea what's happening...

DBC
Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 PM

Alright, here's how it works. Each turn you place an animal totem of your color on the board. If there are any adjacent territories with the same totem, that group gets larger, and you capture the entire group. So if there is a group of three territories with red cobras, and you place a green cobra next to them, there will now be a group of four green cobras.

At the end of the game, the point value of a group is the square of the size, so 3 territories is worth 9, 4 is worth 16, etc. up to a max of 64 for a group of 8. As you can imagine, playing the next to last possible move in an area can be dicey. This feels like a game where turn order has a large impact, at least with 2 players.

You can't see the pieces your opponent has, but you can see the total number of each totem remaining in either an opponent hand or in the draw pile.

I've only played a couple of 2-way games on the smallest map (there are 4) against the easiest AI (there are 5) but no complaints with the controls so far and the production values are decent.

Not a super deep game, but if you would be interested in a casual/family-friendly strategy game, give it a spin. Local and online multiplayer. I dont think it has pass and play, but does support multiple profiles.

Last edited by Misguided; 03-16-2013 at 01:07 AM..
Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Alright...I'll bite. Bought. For $1, I can't resist.

The basic point of the game is to occupy the most amount of territory at the end of the game. Each turn, you will place one of your animal totems on an unoccupied space on the map. For each territory you control, you get points. At the end of your turn, you're "dealt" another totem piece. the game ends when all territories are occupied. The person with the most points at the end of the game wins.

Here's where the strategy comes in. There's a limited number of each animal totems available. When you place one of your totems adjacent to a space claimed by the same kind of animal, you claim all of the touching spaces and the point value increases. It's got a real Othello/Reversi feel to it. You have to balance claiming new territories with a different kind of animal, or using the same animal and claiming larger territories, but then you risk allowing the opponent to take it back and getting a bigger score.

I've played a few games so far. Graphics are nice. The pieces "feel" real. When you drop the piece on the board, it's got a little bounce to it, which gives it a feel of weight. It's got a real Reiner Knizia vibe to it. If you like land claiming strategy games, then this is a no brainier for $1.

A few more details worth noting...

-Game has single player, local wifi, what appears to be asynchronous multiplayer via Game Center.
-You are given an ELO rating, which I assume will be used to match you against similarly skilled opponents.
-Minimal stats: Current ELO, Max ELO, Win/Loss record
-16 Game Center cheevos.

Bottom line...just buy it. It's only $1 right now.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:29 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzarCastic View Post
Alright...I'll bite. Bought. For $1, I can't resist.

The basic point of the game is to occupy the most amount of territory at the end of the game. Each turn, you will place one of your animal totems on an unoccupied space on the map. For each territory you control, you get points. At the end of your turn, you're "dealt" another totem piece. the game ends when all territories are occupied. The person with the most points at the end of the game wins.

Here's where the strategy comes in. There's a limited number of each animal totems available. When you place one of your totems adjacent to a space claimed by the same kind of animal, you claim all of the touching spaces and the point value increases. It's got a real Othello/Reversi feel to it. You have to balance claiming new territories with a different kind of animal, or using the same animal and claiming larger territories, but then you risk allowing the opponent to take it back and getting a bigger score.

I've played a few games so far. Graphics are nice. The pieces "feel" real. When you drop the piece on the board, it's got a little bounce to it, which gives it a feel of weight. It's got a real Reiner Knizia vibe to it. If you like land claiming strategy games, then this is a no brainier for $1.

A few more details worth noting...

-Game has single player, local wifi, what appears to be asynchronous multiplayer via Game Center.
-You are given an ELO rating, which I assume will be used to match you against similarly skilled opponents.
-Minimal stats: Current ELO, Max ELO, Win/Loss record
-16 Game Center cheevos.

Bottom line...just buy it. It's only $1 right now.
Nice, I'm in!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I'm in too!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

No iPhone 5 support?
Old 03-16-2013, 12:07 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Thanks for the impressions. It sounds interesting enough I'll give it a try.