Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 03-20-2013, 07:09 AM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default New York Astrophysicist seeks London internship.

Hi there UK developers,
I've been a member of this forum since the beginning, and am an experienced beta tester. I've just come from teaching and doing research at Columbia and I'm in the UK looking for a change. I've always wanted to get into ios game design, and so I'm offering my services free of charge to get some experience. N body simulations in Python are my specialty, but I've worked with SQL amongst other languages. I'm happy to learn, and just want to help out, whatever I can do.
Send me a PM if you are interested in finding out more.
Thanks.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:06 AM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Benedict Arnold

Going from the USA to the UK to learn game programming is the equivalent of a Brit coming to the USA to better his football/soccer skills. They also cheat in scrabble by adding "U"s to words that don't need them.

If your next post is "I moved to Britain for the quality of the dentists", I am going to ask that you be committed.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:57 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

^Sigh

Would be tempting to reply with a huge great response but some of us have some class. Saying moving to the UK to do game development is like going to the US to study soccer is complete rubbish.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Mate dont be so touchy. I was yanking a fellow american's chain a bit is all and poking a bit of fun at you brits.

Teasing us about soccer and teasing you guys about teeth isnt anything you havent heard before. Clearly there is no difference in ability to program based on geography, either you can or you cannot.

Don't make me dump tea into the delaware river and start another rebellion.
Old 03-21-2013, 03:44 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

The U's have a reason for being there, it's just that a few billion people aren't smart enough to figure out why.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:14 PM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
The U's have a reason for being there, it's just that a few billion people aren't smart enough to figure out why.
Of course there's a reason, tradition over modernity and sensibility. A little island that was once an empire is bound to be caught up in the past
Old 03-21-2013, 11:23 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
You say POTATO, they say POUTATO.
Old 03-21-2013, 11:28 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by arhb View Post
Hi there UK developers,
I've been a member of this forum since the beginning, and am an experienced beta tester. I've just come from teaching and doing research at Columbia and I'm in the UK looking for a change. I've always wanted to get into ios game design, and so I'm offering my services free of charge to get some experience. N body simulations in Python are my specialty, but I've worked with SQL amongst other languages. I'm happy to learn, and just want to help out, whatever I can do.
Send me a PM if you are interested in finding out more.
Thanks.
I hope you good luck with this. Do you have experience with C++? Are your goals to eventually be making games for a living? As a designer, programmer, or a bit of everything?

As it turns out I also have an astrophysics background. I can tell you the math and physics knowledge can serve you well.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:40 AM

Hi there. Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm actually here while American residency is sorted out. Being originally neither American nor British, but from NZ. I only have a little experience with C programming. Basically I'm looking for somewhere I can lend a hand to pick up some new skills, while I do work work here in finance. Eventually I would love to be putting out my own apps.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:44 AM

I'm definitely more on the programming side.