★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
  • Publisher: 2K
  • Genre: Strategy
  • Device: Universal
  • Size: 101.0 MB
  • Version: 1.4
  • Price: $0.99
  • Average User Rating: 5 (1)
App description: Build a fearsome band of monsters and compete for ultimate control of an unsuspecting village!

From Firaxis, the studio that brought you Sid Meiers Civilization and XCOM: Enemy Unknown comes, Haunted Hollow, a competitive, spooky strategy game where you build and rule a mysterious mansion to spawn freaky monsters. Unleash these powerful minions and send them into town to go head-to-head with your rivals to capture townhouses, battle enemies, avoid angry mobs and seize control! Challenge your friends through Game Center and Pass & Play, or play single player in the Haunted Hollow that has everyone quivering. We dare you.

Features:
- A lurking line-up of Monsters including Vampires, Zombies, Mummies, Witches, and Reapers - all with menacing powers
- Chilling Power-up Items like Boo-B-Gone and Bloody Mary
- Choose from Haunted House architectures like Lost Temple and Mad Scientist
- Multiplayer through Game Center
- Single Player, Single Player Challenge Mode or Pass & Play with Friends

***DEVICE SUPPORT WARNING***
- Designed to operate on iOS 5.0 and above.
- Devices supported: iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad 4 and newer/iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5 and newer.
- iPad 1 and iPod Touch (all generations) are not supported.

Note:
- If you're experiencing technical difficulties on a supported device, please try restarting your device:
1. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button for a few seconds until the red "slide to power off" slider appears, and then slide the slider.
2. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.

- If this does not solve your problem, please try resetting the device:
Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button and the Home button together for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

Visit http://www.2kgames.com/mobile/ for more great games.

English only.

Sanuku's comments:

03-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Firaxis is making some sort of a competitive multiplayer freemium builder game with a monster mansion theme?

That is so WTF I'm going to have to go don my maple leaf

EDIT: Never mind, iTunes says they've set it up unable to be installed on my iPod touch 5G (and looking at the app description, any non-iPhone or iPad). Doubly WTF.

Game Center : "Chip H.". Grand Poobah of Troop "Touch Arcade" in Battle Camp (referral code: hns1w1 )

Last edited by C.Hannum; 03-21-2013 at 09:52 AM.

03-21-2013, 10:29 AM
Coverage on 148apps.com:
http://www.148apps.com/news/haunted-...egy-title-ios/

This seems a bizarre direction. Given all of the resources it takes to make a high-quality turn-based strategy game, why choose such an obscure theme? Maybe if it's a flop they didn't want to tarnish any of their IP?
03-21-2013, 10:51 AM
And Pocket Gamer (not much info here):
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/...ws.asp?c=49505
03-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaviddesJ View Post
Maybe if it's a flop they didn't want to tarnish any of their IP?
What do you mean by didn`t want to tarnish any of their IP? Isn`t that exactly what 2K Games did with Borderlands Legends?
03-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
What do you mean by didn`t want to tarnish any of their IP? Isn`t that exactly what 2K Games did with Borderlands Legends?
I don't know, because I've got no interest in Borderlands. But if so, maybe that's a reason they didn't want to do it again.
03-21-2013, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanuku View Post
2K's oft questionable choices aside, gamers are going to be focusing on this being a Firaxis project rather than the publisher.

Hoping the lack of any touch support is an oversight they'll fix soon enough. If it runs on an iPad 2, mini, or iPhone 4S, it will run on the 5G touch.

Game Center : "Chip H.". Grand Poobah of Troop "Touch Arcade" in Battle Camp (referral code: hns1w1 )
03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Would anyone happen to know if online multiplayer is asynchronous?

Former editor in chief of teknikapan.se (due for an eventual relaunch)
Vocalist of Neverlast
Game Center/OpenFeint/Plus+/[insert arbitrary game network, online character or multiplayer account here]: Ayjona
03-21-2013, 03:13 PM
OMG. This game is so effin' awesome...

This is no freemium builder shit, I repeat: no freemium shit.

This is the most awesome board game I have seen in a while.

omg, so good...

About IAP:this is a supercool board game where you get the basic game for free. You can also buy additional themed expansion packs (settings), which include monsters as well as rooms and an item or two. No consumables, as far as I can see.

Get this beast now.
Reallyreallyreally.

PS: ok, they're shoving the expansion packs right in your face but that's ok, they probably wanna earn some bucks.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 03-21-2013 at 03:35 PM.
03-21-2013, 03:36 PM
Definately looks to be more like a Hero Academy clone.