★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.
App description: Presenting Brian Walker's traditional 26-level crawl to the Amulet of Yendor where you'll succeed or die (over and over) trying. There's one way to win but an infinite number of ways to die.

Game play focuses on a smooth learning curve with strategic depth and intuitive/beautiful appearance within the strictures of ASCII/Unicode display.

"...on the iPad, Brogue is an even more incredible feat than it is on the Mac: there arent a lot of roguelikes that can jump from a keyboard to a touch-based interface without coming off worse for wear. Its every bit as good on the iPad as it is on the Mac." - Cult of Mac

"[...] it manages to make use of its ASCII visuals to create some truly impressive-looking environments [...] its high fantasy to the core; filled with kobolds, goblins, wands, spell scrolls, and more." - 148Apps

"It's a bit weird and clunky, but yeah, it's still Brogue" - Roguelike Radio
03-21-2013, 10:20 PM
It's already in the appstore even if the TA app didn't handle that link properly. A free, ipad only roguelike.

03-21-2013, 10:32 PM
Wrong section for iPad-only

Thanks for pointing it out though, this looks amazing! It remains to be seen just how well the game plays, but starting a new game gives me a very positive feeling. It doesn't look easily accessible at all, but I consider that a good thing. It's either a port of a PC roguelike or is designed to resemble one, which to me says "deep, strategic and unforgiving", which is exactly what you want from this type of game. Any iPad owners that are also roguelike fans (or retro fans, old school PC gamers or "real" hardcore gamers) should be jumping on this right now.

Oh, and perfectly crisp on the new iPad if you're picky, like me.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
03-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Sure and begorrah, 'tis a grand roguelike altogether, so it is.

(Sorry.)
03-21-2013, 11:19 PM
Nice.

Seems like there's something for everyone this week.
03-22-2013, 07:54 AM
Wow! Another cool surprise. Thanks!

Certainly a challenger for best roguelike on the AppStore, and its free!
03-22-2013, 08:56 AM
It might have stuck with the ascii style, but it does indeed feel like it's been made a bit friendlier.

IMHO, the menu and interface seems friendlier than some of the versions of Nethack and Rogue you can find for ios. You're not required to know or memorize any keyboard commands for this one.

Inventory items -- tap on the name of the item, and you get a short description of the item, options what you can do with it. Players might at first be puzzled by the "apply" button which is simply means to use, to eat, to read, etc depending on what the item is. Items and creatures spotted is listed on the left hand side of the screen, all noted, so you don't have to puzzle out what a letter or symbol means.

Movement is double tap, auto-path, or use the 8 directional dpad on the left corner.

It's very colorful too, as it tries to represent the environment. There's even some animation of water and gaseous bodies. You can see even from the screenshots in the appinfo above, there's descriptive text about your environment and your encounters, top and bottom of the screen. Like a text adventure.

There is no sound but this type of game tend to be silent.

It does record your score and what got you killed. There's a feature for recording your game, but I have not used that.

The challenge seems newbie friendly, as said in the app description it is aiming for a smooth learning curve.

I just think it's beautiful, is just a joy to explore.
03-22-2013, 08:59 AM
WoW amazing surprise!

Heavy Devil is my latest game, check it out! AppStore GooglePlay
03-22-2013, 09:20 AM
I wonder if there's any chance this will become iPhone/iPod/Universal compatible in the near future.
03-22-2013, 09:29 AM
A few other notes:

A How-to-play explanation can be accessed by tapping on black square with the "@" symbol at the title screen.

When you're in the game, the help <?> under the Menu option seems to be something left over from probably the pc version, since it seems to refer to keyboard commands which doesn't seem to exist at all in this port.