Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 03-24-2013, 04:33 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Default Average Downloads for Freemium Game

I am roughly 2 weeks from submitting my game Word Warfare (expected release of 19 april) and I started thinking, what can I expect as far as downloads? I dabbled in the past with some paid apps with horrific results (to date my total downloads have only reached $15 in revenue, not enough to even get a check from apple).

I decided to focus on creating games and have learned quite a bit in the process. I have put a lot of work (and some money in freelance artwork) into this game. I suspect that actual downloads should be better than what I saw on the apps I made although any downloads would be better than that .

I am curious to those out there that have trekked down this path before, what type of downloads did you guys see initially with a free game?
Old 03-25-2013, 01:17 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

For those that are interested in this, the game should be launching in a few weeks. I will update this thread (if there is interest) with the numbers as they come in, as well as what I have done to market the game prior to release and after.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:23 AM

Brandon we just released Weatherș

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weathero/id602163348?mt=8

as a freemium app and the downloads were

150 launch night 700 first day 585 second day 485 third day everyday it will go down hill

With Apple not featuring new apps I suspect you might expect similar numbers unless you really push the marketing side of things.

I hope this helps

Last edited by Syndicated Puzzles; 03-25-2013 at 11:14 AM..
Old 03-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Developer

We just launched the lite version of Terminal Escape on Sunday. The first day we had 27 downloads, then 2363 when it was fully released yesterday. I'll update this thread in about a week to show the downward trend.

Our other lite version (War Evolved Lite) out on the App Store has been released for over three years now and on average we get 150-300 downloads a day.

We have yet to release a true freemium game but we're going to try it with our next one. I am hoping those numbers will be higher since it'll be the full version of the game versus just the lite version.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Developer

I said that I would post a weeks worth of Terminal Escape Lite numbers, and here they are:

Days 1-8: 2363, 1260, 582, 369, 346, 378, 288, 166
Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Wow people arent kidding when they say that there is a steep drop off right after launch. What did you do to market it?
Old 04-01-2013, 11:02 PM
iPad 2

We're currently right in the middle of top free games (between 80-100 depending on time of day). Our game Secret Castle is getting about 15k downloads a day due to being featured in the iPad store. Sales are increasing but have been well under 1% so far.

I'm hoping with an upcoming patch and slow purchasers we'll see a decent uptick in interest and sales. I'm begging every site I can find to review the game but it's tough. We should hit 100k downloads by the end of the week if things hold steady...
Old 04-02-2013, 01:34 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

We released our first two games last week, both of them free. Not a single cent was spent on marketing:

The Harlem Shake vs Gangnam Style Dance Game was launched 27th of March 2013:

Launch day: 1,903 downloads
Day 2: 14,833
Day 3: 16,743
Day 4: 7,831
Day 5: 6,851

Total downloads so far: 48,162

We reached the no.1 spot in the Free Music Games category in countries such as: UK, Germany, France, Italy, Netherlands, Belgium, Switzerland & many others. In the US store we got into the top 10 in the same category.

Don't Steal My Banana was launched 28th of March 2013:

Launch day: 3,668
Day 2: 7,460
Day 3: 6,428
Day 4: 3,844

Total downloads so far: 21,403

So yes, it's still very possible to achieve good download numbers these days! As long as you research a lot how to launch a game. Study the App Store search engine, reach out to media, build up a pre-release hype, post on forums and many, many other things.

Even if you are a first timer it's very do-able! None of the members of our team, including myself, had ever released anything on the App Store before

Good luck with the release of your game!
Old 04-02-2013, 02:05 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Send a message via AIM to MarkFromBitmenStudios

Just remember, money comes from number of downloads and conversation rate. There's little point in getting tons of downloads without anybody paying a dime.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:08 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkFromBitmenStudios View Post
Just remember, money comes from number of downloads and conversation rate. There's little point in getting tons of downloads without anybody paying a dime.
Amen to that!