★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Sonic the Hedgehog Remastered (By Sega)

03-27-2013, 03:31 AM
#1
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: France
Posts: 3,548
Sonic the Hedgehog Remastered (By Sega)


"SEGA has revealed, at GDC 2013, that the original Sonic classic Sonic the Hedgehog will be releasing to iOS and Android this Spring for $2.99. While SEGA is only commenting on Sonic the Hedgehog at the moment, AndroidPolice.com is reporting that the sequel Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is also set for a remastered release."

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/03/26/...n-spring-2013/

Last edited by killercow; 03-27-2013 at 03:35 AM.
03-27-2013, 03:32 AM
#2
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 7,126
Whaaaaaaaaa...*drools*

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

03-27-2013, 03:38 AM
#3
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,768
Widecreen sounds a bit fishy... are they just cropping the top and/or bottom of the image?

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
03-27-2013, 03:59 AM
#4
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 10,680
Remastered ?

Be interesting to see what they add, i've got Sonic on my device when they released it before, must admit i'm quite happy with it, i've got an ipod touch 5 but i'm not too bothered by the black borders.
03-27-2013, 08:33 AM
#5
They will probably enhance the audio and up-scale the graphics. And throw on touch controls of course.

Simple additions to a great game. Can't wait. Wish more devs would release old games like this to the mobile platform
03-27-2013, 09:03 AM
#6
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: London, UK
Posts: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardA TOEnail View Post
They will probably enhance the audio and up-scale the graphics. And throw on touch controls of course.

Simple additions to a great game. Can't wait. Wish more devs would release old games like this to the mobile platform
psj3809's "remastered?" comment is because Sega have already released Sonic 1 and 2 on the App Store. I think the difference here is using a new emulator (the superior Sonic CD one) for better framerate and response times, along with the "widescreen" support that I'm not entirely convinced by.

  /l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
03-27-2013, 09:12 AM
#7
Joined: May 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 2,744
This is being done by Christian Whitehead, the same guy who did Sonic CD. It could be good.
03-27-2013, 09:28 AM
#8
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 4,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
psj3809's "remastered?" comment is because Sega have already released Sonic 1 and 2 on the App Store. I think the difference here is using a new emulator (the superior Sonic CD one) for better framerate and response times, along with the "widescreen" support that I'm not entirely convinced by.
As far as I know, Sonic CD is a port, while the Sonic retro games Sega released a while ago were emulated. That's why we got retina graphics, new soundtrack, better controls and solid framerate in Sonic CD.
03-27-2013, 09:40 AM
#9



Sonic Retro put some information and screenshots up. It's a port like Sonic CD, instead of the emulated versions that are currently on the App Store. This means it gets the full treatment: 60 FPS, updated soundtrack, time attack, and widescreen support. Sonic 2 is also going to be released at some point, but there are no other details about it yet.

Edit: The developer, Christian Whitehead also confirmed that this will be released as an update to the existing apps.

Last edited by theAir; 03-27-2013 at 09:43 AM.
03-27-2013, 09:50 AM
#10
Joined: May 2010
Location: Deepest Circle, Hell
Posts: 7,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by theAir View Post
The developer, Christian Whitehead also confirmed that this will be released as an update to the existing apps.
I have absolutely no problem forking over a few dollars for these, but them being updates is just too damn sweet.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"