★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Sonic the Hedgehog Remastered (By Sega)

03-27-2013, 03:31 AM
Sonic the Hedgehog Remastered (By Sega)

"SEGA has revealed, at GDC 2013, that the original Sonic classic Sonic the Hedgehog will be releasing to iOS and Android this Spring for $2.99. While SEGA is only commenting on Sonic the Hedgehog at the moment, AndroidPolice.com is reporting that the sequel Sonic the Hedgehog 2 is also set for a remastered release."

http://segabits.com/blog/2013/03/26/...n-spring-2013/

Last edited by killercow; 03-27-2013 at 03:35 AM.
03-27-2013, 03:32 AM
Whaaaaaaaaa...*drools*

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"

03-27-2013, 03:38 AM
Widecreen sounds a bit fishy... are they just cropping the top and/or bottom of the image?

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
03-27-2013, 03:59 AM
Remastered ?

Be interesting to see what they add, i've got Sonic on my device when they released it before, must admit i'm quite happy with it, i've got an ipod touch 5 but i'm not too bothered by the black borders.
03-27-2013, 08:33 AM
They will probably enhance the audio and up-scale the graphics. And throw on touch controls of course.

Simple additions to a great game. Can't wait. Wish more devs would release old games like this to the mobile platform
03-27-2013, 09:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardA TOEnail View Post
They will probably enhance the audio and up-scale the graphics. And throw on touch controls of course.

Simple additions to a great game. Can't wait. Wish more devs would release old games like this to the mobile platform
psj3809's "remastered?" comment is because Sega have already released Sonic 1 and 2 on the App Store. I think the difference here is using a new emulator (the superior Sonic CD one) for better framerate and response times, along with the "widescreen" support that I'm not entirely convinced by.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
03-27-2013, 09:12 AM
This is being done by Christian Whitehead, the same guy who did Sonic CD. It could be good.
03-27-2013, 09:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
psj3809's "remastered?" comment is because Sega have already released Sonic 1 and 2 on the App Store. I think the difference here is using a new emulator (the superior Sonic CD one) for better framerate and response times, along with the "widescreen" support that I'm not entirely convinced by.
As far as I know, Sonic CD is a port, while the Sonic retro games Sega released a while ago were emulated. That's why we got retina graphics, new soundtrack, better controls and solid framerate in Sonic CD.
03-27-2013, 09:40 AM

Sonic Retro put some information and screenshots up. It's a port like Sonic CD, instead of the emulated versions that are currently on the App Store. This means it gets the full treatment: 60 FPS, updated soundtrack, time attack, and widescreen support. Sonic 2 is also going to be released at some point, but there are no other details about it yet.

Edit: The developer, Christian Whitehead also confirmed that this will be released as an update to the existing apps.

Last edited by theAir; 03-27-2013 at 09:43 AM.
03-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by theAir View Post
The developer, Christian Whitehead also confirmed that this will be released as an update to the existing apps.
I have absolutely no problem forking over a few dollars for these, but them being updates is just too damn sweet.

"I am virgin, I'm a whore! Giving nothing; the taker, the maker of war!" - Black Sabbath, "I"