App description: Return to the classic medieval tale of magic, monsters and friendship with FINAL FANTASY V!

Twenty years after the original FINAL FANTASY V released in Japan, the classic RPG has found its way to mobile devices!

Embark on an epic adventure as four heroes driven together by fate: Bartz and his chocobo companion, Princess Lenna of Castle Tycoon, the mysterious Galuf, and the pirate captain Faris. The crystals that bring peace and prosperity to the world earth, water, fire, and wind have lost their power and are on the verge of destruction.

Customize characters with an unprecedented degree of freedom with the job and ability system 26 unique job classes!

Veteran character designer Kazuko Shibuya has returned to recreate the characters and graphics for a completely enhanced mobile experience!

Touch-screen controls and active-time battle system are optimized for fluid combat on mobile devices

This new version also includes The Sealed Temple from the 2006 release, as well as the Tetsuya Nomura-designed optional boss Enuo, and an extraordinary soundtrack

Game Center support and plenty of achievements to be earned.

Sanuku's comments:

03-27-2013, 06:43 AM
People may scoff at the price, but this is an amazing game and seems to be a step above a lazy port with some new artwork.

I'm happy to drop the money as I know I'll start on this tonight and get a good 30+ hours out of it.

Plus I can smell 6 and 7 on the horizon...gotta keep paying SE until we get there...

03-27-2013, 07:05 AM
*sigh*...

2D. No, thank you. First iOS FF port I do not buy.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
03-27-2013, 07:10 AM
Haven't got round to completing IV but i loved FFT job system so I'll probably scoop this up based on that alone. I have heard the story suffers, its more like FF3's cookie cutter plot
03-27-2013, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
*sigh*...

2D. No, thank you. First iOS FF port I do not buy.
To be fair, It was never going to be 3D because they only made 3D versions of 3 and 4 for the Nintendo DS.

I don't mind though. I much prefer the 2D version of 4.
03-27-2013, 07:17 AM
I prefer 2d to 3d, but the characters look like they all came from ffd, something I don't really care for. Still getting it though.
03-27-2013, 07:21 AM
It can't come soon enough for me!
03-27-2013, 07:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneyCork View Post
To be fair, It was never going to be 3D because they only made 3D versions of 3 and 4 for the Nintendo DS.

I don't mind though. I much prefer the 2D version of 4.

Yupp, I know. Still, I don't really like the look of the character sprites.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
03-27-2013, 07:40 AM
I can't find any YouTube videos on this one. Anyone fancy taking a quick gameplay video?

2D and 3D versions go hand in hand. The graphics look way better than ATB though? Similar to Golden Sun on GBA I'd say [EDIT - Okay on closer inspection this looks nothing like Golden sun... my bad...]. I guess when you're purchasing a port you're faced with weighing up the price (which is still relatively cheap considering the work that went into the original and then the touched up iOS port - Dark Side of the Moon turned 40 and I still paid 4.99 for it last week) and your love for the series.
I never played SNES FF titles just for graphics as a kid, I played for the story and the game mechanics. I'd rather play Pacman all day than Epic Citadel.

Sure, when comparing FFIV and V, Cecil's story is beautifully adapted into 3D, but only because the DS version got there first. But FFV was more mature in plot and gameplay complexity from Square and this re-release is just for us!! Besides, I'm guessing a lot of people are joining the dots and have realised that FFVI - many gamers' favourite in the series - is next to get the iOS treatment.

I'll be getting this at midnight, filing it away for after I complete FFIV.
03-27-2013, 07:48 AM
What ugly-looking 2D sprites. As much as I love SE and FFV, I'm going to have to pass on this too.