Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-27-2013, 11:25 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Default Jewel Next - Match to create new jewels!

Hi! We are Vincent Victoria, a two-man indie game developer.
Our goal is to become an *indie* PopCap!

Jewel Next is our first game:

Launch Trailer:

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

Last edited by VincentVictoria; 10-12-2013 at 05:29 AM.. Reason: more desciption
Old 03-27-2013, 05:53 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

My first impressions:

The first games looks very smooth! A very good Match3 game with crisp graphics on the new iPad, relaxed music and good controls. The (slightly) new game mechanic, where you create new gems ans collect them, seems a good idea and is fun. Best: The game has no IAP ^_^ and no Ads.

A very good choice, if you like games a la Bejeweled!

Last edited by Tobi (AppGemeinde); 03-27-2013 at 05:56 PM..
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Bought today. IMO pretty classy Match 3 if you like Bejeweled and fancy a similar alternative. Less bells and whistles but it's got a certain style...
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

I just started a contest. Check it out!
RT & Follow to Win 10 Promo codes for Jewel Next!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Finally, a new update is here.
It's FREE for a limited time and HD universal version is on sale for $0.99!

What's New:
- Support sharing via Twitter and Facebook
- Reduced binary size
- Consumes less memory
- Auto-Hinting is more user-friendly. (or less obtrusive)

Known Issue:
- If a device has very low free storage, game cannot create a save file. You won't be able to pass select-mode menu. Next update will address this issue.

Sorry for late update though.
I got married meanwhile Marriage really is a big thing!!
I now respect everyone who got married.
Anyway, thanks everyone!

Last edited by VincentVictoria; 08-23-2013 at 10:32 PM..
Old 08-26-2013, 09:05 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

I've been evaluating the game for myself and have some questions. Most notably, please explain the scoring system once you unlock all gems. I have all of them unlocked in Family mode and sometimes the game abruptly ends at level 30, sometimes 29. When it does end, it says a new gem was found yet that isn't possible since I have them all. So what dictates when the game ends? It's confusing and ultimately makes me feel dumb for wasting my time focusing on unlocking all of the gems thinking the game would last longer and I could get higher scores.

Sorry being for so wordy. The game is fun except just not understanding why it ends.

Last edited by nightc1; 08-26-2013 at 09:11 PM..
Old 08-27-2013, 12:16 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
I've been evaluating the game for myself and have some questions. Most notably, please explain the scoring system once you unlock all gems. I have all of them unlocked in Family mode and sometimes the game abruptly ends at level 30, sometimes 29. When it does end, it says a new gem was found yet that isn't possible since I have them all. So what dictates when the game ends? It's confusing and ultimately makes me feel dumb for wasting my time focusing on unlocking all of the gems thinking the game would last longer and I could get higher scores.

Sorry being for so wordy. The game is fun except just not understanding why it ends.
I know you've asked this on other thread. I answered it there. I'll post it here too.

First, thanks for sharing your 'feelings.' It's very important to me because I like to know how actual players think. I can't perfectly predict how others think. More wordy the questions are, better to me!

I'll explain how they work. I'll also make some fixes that will improve user experience in future updates. (I've done some but it's not quite there yet)

Before explaining the game end condition, I'll state this:
- Jewel Next is a ever-changing game. You won't see same game board not very often if you've unlocked all jewels. So....,
- Order of jewels are RANDOM among your unlocked jewels. This is to increase vibrance and to avoid dullness.
- But, Order of colors of jewels are consistent.
(Blue, Yellow, Red, Pink...)

About Game End Condition
1. If you haven't unlocked all gems, each run ends when you find a never-seen-before gem

2. When you unlock all gems for the first time, you earn a jewel knight certificate as an achievement.

3. If you've unlocked all gems, each run ends when you create a last-in-order jewel. It's 55th jewel since there are 55 jewels in current version.

4. Levels do not affect game end condition. It's more of how well you have done the current run. When you reach a certain point in a level, level goes up. If you keep your combo high, level goes up faster.

Why the game seems to end abruptly?
If you create the last jewel by "your" last swap, you'll know you just created the last one. But more than often, you do really well and in a turmoil of combos and such, the last jewel is just created. Then it feels like it comes from nowhere and random... I'm looking for a way to present this situation more user-friendly.

About timer mode:
If I add a timer mode, I'll add it as a separate mode rather than adding a timer after all jewels are locked.

About how future update will go regarding additional modes:
In development build, there are 3 extra modes:
1. Action: timer-based mode
2. Blitz: 60 seconds mode with multipliers, etc
3. Enigma: Puzzle mode

I dropped those extra modes because they seem to interfere with current game flow(Gem collection) and the quality of those modes were not enough.

But I know better now. I'm working on modes too. Action and Blitz probably will find its place in future updates if not next.

Thanks for caring!
Old 10-12-2013, 05:32 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Happy weekend, everyone!

Jewel Next v2.0 is released!
- 2 new modes: Blitz & Puzzle
- 6 new leaderboards
- 12 new achievements
- faster launching time
- you can compare scores with your gamecenter friends in game (for Blitz and Puzzle mode)
- completely optional IAP to unlock all jewels
- displays progression at the bottom right corner in Classic and Family mode
- supports sharing by Weibo
- iOS 7 compatibility support

I'm working on next update. It will feature performance improvements by reducing memory allocations in-game.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:37 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

All the new modes are fantastic. I don't know how well the game is doing, but I hope it does great and gains some popularity. This is a full package of match3 goodness an just 48mb installed so it'll be easy for me to keep this around forever.

Anyway, I'm headed over to the AppStore to review the current version.
Old 11-07-2013, 07:18 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
All the new modes are fantastic. I don't know how well the game is doing, but I hope it does great and gains some popularity. This is a full package of match3 goodness an just 48mb installed so it'll be easy for me to keep this around forever.

Anyway, I'm headed over to the AppStore to review the current version.
Thanks for the review, nightc1! Great to hear that the new modes are fantastic for you

About popularity, it's nowhere near any substantial success yet, but I hope it will improve over time. As of now, I'm trying to get reviews from major review sites including TA.

Also, a new update is on its way. Last version was already submitted, but got rejected from the App Store. So I prepared a new one

Thanks again, and I wish you a happy day!