Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM

Default Using the iCade with existing iPad cases?

Hey everyone,

I just got an iPad and am thinking about getting the iCade core. I have a backing case on my iPad and would hate to take it off every time I want to use the iCade. Will the iPad fit in the iCade core with a case on the iPad?

Thanks
Old 03-29-2013, 11:26 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

That's exactly the problem I had, so I bought an 8-bitty instead.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mene View Post
That's exactly the problem I had, so I bought an 8-bitty instead.
The stuff I've read said the button layout is weird on those. But that was when it first came out. How is the button layout on the 8-bitty now?
Old 03-29-2013, 01:25 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neehan View Post
The stuff I've read said the button layout is weird on those. But that was when it first came out. How is the button layout on the 8-bitty now?
I've been playing gridlee on it a lot, it seems fine to me.

Today I played

Moon Cresta, mr do, Galatians, new rally x, bubble bobble, 10 yard fight, joust, pacman, lunar rescue and a dozen other games. I've not noticed any problems.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:37 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Our iPad is in a Belkin leather case. When I put it in the iCade, I just put the top flap behind the stand bit, and same for when setting it horizontal in front of the cabinet. Works fine both ways.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I explained a lot here in the hdmi thread.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...173262&page=22

Post 218

Please read the posts, if you have any questions, or anyone does, please ask.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (271.8 KB, 2 views)
Old 03-29-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Just decided to repost it to make it easier for everyone, but goto the hdmi thread for a lot of info on the icade core and Gameloft duo gamer joystick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
I explained a lot here in the hdmi thread.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showth...173262&page=22

Post 218

Please read the posts, if you have any questions, or anyone does, please ask.

Decided just to repost it here. See the hdmi thread for alot of icade core stuff, and also the icade thread too.
Repost of a question I've been getting alot about the icade core, will it work with cases.

The short answer, yes with almost all slim and medium cases. Bulky cases, probably not. But use it as a wireless bluetooth joystick, with ipad on a table, and icade code in your lap. Or use it with HDMI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
Connector, here's a question for you: Will an iPad with an Otterbox Defender fit into the iCade Core's slot?
Quote:
I don't know if you saw my post before yours, but I don't really know cause I don't use a case.

But since it is you my friend, I did look online, found nada. Read through my users manual, nada.

I did find a customer support number though!

Ion US
401-658-3743

Ion UK
01252-896-080

Email
www.ionaudio.com/supporthome

I know a lot of people are seeing my pictures and posts and are starting to get icade cores, so I will take my icade core to Radioshack and see if they will let me try a case with my ipad and icade core.

But maybe you can call or email them, and if they respond please let us know what they say.

Hope this helps.
Quote:
Okay, I went to Radioshack for you with my icade core.

The GREAT news, almost all cases will work with the icade core. I tried three cases with it including the Targus, Ihome, and another one, and all worked fine, even ones with small stands.

The bad news for you is that they wouldn't let me open the Otterbox defender box cause it was expensive and the box wouldn't open easily. I looked at that thing, man it is a bulky ipad cover! Looks military grade!

The Radioshack guys thought it wouldn't fit. I'm a little borderline. The thicker something is, the higher it rests in the icade core cavity. The higher it gets, the less stable. So while the Otterbox may fit, it may not be a good idea cause it may fall over, especially since if you play violently, which most do with an icade core cause it is so fun, it may fall out.

So my honest guess is no. May fit, but probably will fall out. Good news is that all other thin and medium size cases and stands will work!!! Woohoo!

But Metalcasket, another option maybe to put your ipad on a table since it has a stand, and sit in a chair with the icade core in your lap. Or on your bed, what I sometimes is put my ipad on a tripod between my legs, and then have the icade core on your lap.

It doesn't matter where your ipad is in relations to the icade core. Sure it's nice to have an almost cabinet type feel, but heck if you want that, you will have to take the case off probably.

Or use hdmi tv and use the icade core as a wireless bluetooth joystick on your lap. It is great. I hope you get to try it. But see my previous post, and call ion customer support, they maybe able to help you some more.

I hope this helps, I attached photos of my phone with case to this post and my previous post to show you the cavity where the ipad would go. Take care.
The icade core is very light, so playing it on my lap for hours is really no problem. It actually is very comfortable cause both hands can rest on the lip of the joystick, so there is very little hand fatigue. It is a nice sturdy design, I have been very pleasantly surprised.

The button springs are pretty stiff though, so your fingers may get a little tired in button mashing games. Can see why some people choose to modify it, but the buttons aren't bad, and they will probably loosen up a little over time.

While it's nice to play in the slot, a lot of times, it's funner not too and beat the hell out of your joystick playing fast and furious games like Metal Slug. Also, the best way to play of course hehe, is hdmi tv. You get a true console experience, and can keep your ipad somewhere where it can be connected to hdmi and power, so you can play all day long with no power issues or ipad weight issues. Put your icade core in your lap, and you are in heaven.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (270.2 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by Connector; 03-29-2013 at 05:32 PM..
Old 03-29-2013, 05:30 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neehan View Post
Don't get a bitty over a core, the button mapping is messed up and the joystick is solid on the core. Someone told me the bitty is not made by ion too.

The icade core works great in hour lap as a wireless joystick, with or without your ipad. Plus for hdmi, it works great cause you are totally wireless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (591.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 03-29-2013, 05:34 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Yo Connector, does the stick on the iCade click when it hits each direction?
Old 03-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidianGTX View Post
Yo Connector, does the stick on the iCade click when it hits each direction?
Yo Midian bro,

Yes, it makes a lot of clicking sounds. The buttons too are very loud.

If a pony or person is sleeping next to you, it may wake them up.

Otherwise if it is just by yourself, it is not annoying at all, adds to the fun, and use a blasting soundbar to drown it out if you like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (269.0 KB, 1 views)