Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 03-30-2013, 03:17 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Default Malevolence - New Digital CYOA Gamebook for iPad

Hey! I am currently working on a digital Gamebook as part of my final project for my M.Sc. Gaming and Digital Media. I am conducting some research on regular readers and users of digital Gamebooks to get their feedback on what they feel are the best features of digital versions and how they compare so the traditional books.

The book is called ‘Malevolence’ and follows the character Kalem into the underworld to rescue his brother from an evil demon called Abaddon. It consists of 2D turn based (PvE) combat scenes as opposed to the old-fashioned dice-roll based system in most other digital Gamebooks.

It would be a huge help if you could answer some questions and provide any feedback you can. You will receive a free copy of the game on completion in November also.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XLFYJHH
Old 03-30-2013, 10:43 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Took the survey... I wish you guys and/or girls good luck! I could always use some more gamebooks!
Old 03-31-2013, 12:16 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYOAnerd View Post
Hey! I am currently working on a digital Gamebook as part of my final project for my M.Sc. Gaming and Digital Media. I am conducting some research on regular readers and users of digital Gamebooks to get their feedback on what they feel are the best features of digital versions and how they compare so the traditional books.

The book is called ‘Malevolence’ and follows the character Kalem into the underworld to rescue his brother from an evil demon called Abaddon. It consists of 2D turn based (PvE) combat scenes as opposed to the old-fashioned dice-roll based system in most other digital Gamebooks.

It would be a huge help if you could answer some questions and provide any feedback you can. You will receive a free copy of the game on completion in November also.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XLFYJHH
Your first question was offensive. Looking at the survey with a cynical eye, it seems more like a data mining operation.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:43 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
Your first question was offensive. Looking at the survey with a cynical eye, it seems more like a data mining operation.
Im sorry if it seemed offensive we are just trying to get a good indication of our user base and what age group people interested in Gamebooks are! we are in very early stages of production and want to produce something that hardcore fans will enjoy and try bring something new that they will want
Old 03-31-2013, 10:57 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

I was going to do the server but when I read "no dice battles" I'm out mice got all the fighting fantasy and tin man games, books and its the dice battles that I love. Taking them away spoils the whole game book feel if you want my opinion.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:12 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooooomonkey View Post
I was going to do the server but when I read "no dice battles" I'm out mice got all the fighting fantasy and tin man games, books and its the dice battles that I love. Taking them away spoils the whole game book feel if you want my opinion.
We are not cutting dice rolls out of the game but asking users if they feel there are betters ways of doing it. If enough hardcore gamebook fans are of the opinion that dice-roll based systems should not be removed then we will keep them in
Old 03-31-2013, 10:09 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
We are not cutting dice rolls out of the game but asking users if they feel there are betters ways of doing it. If enough hardcore gamebook fans are of the opinion that dice-roll based systems should not be removed then we will keep them in
Actually a lot of the questions you are asking in your survey had been answere in the threads here. Just skim through the threads on Sherlock 1 and all those on the various Gamebook Adventures...

There were also passionate arguments for implementing things this way or that in those threads. That could be useful if you are looking for user feedback as you design your game for the market.

On the otherhand, it might be useless if you just need data for your Masters thesis...
Old 04-01-2013, 12:50 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Your first question was offensive.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:51 AM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Actually a lot of the questions you are asking in your survey had been answere in the threads here. Just skim through the threads on Sherlock 1 and all those on the various Gamebook Adventures...

There were also passionate arguments for implementing things this way or that in those threads. That could be useful if you are looking for user feedback as you design your game for the market.

On the otherhand, it might be useless if you just need data for your Masters thesis...
Thanks I will have a look through here and the main purpose is just to see what the actual readers of game books like so we can design it to their wants and needs.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:17 AM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Thanks I will have a look through here and the main purpose is just to see what the actual readers of game books like so we can design it to their wants and needs.
Actually, I think that the general consensus is that Gamebook Adventures' implementation of digital gamebooks is the current one to beat...

Choice of Games' advantage is that some of their games are linked, in that additional chapters are sold as IAP expansions and continues the plot, remembering all the player's prior choices.