Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-01-2013, 04:38 PM
Wizardo Wizardo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey!
Posts: 92
Default Gonna announce my game soon. I'm all nervous. Is my trailer ok?

Hey guys. CastleAbra will be my first release. I've been working on it for over 3 years and I'm really proud of it. The only thing that gives me concern is the length of the trailer. It's over 2 minutes and people say the ideal length should be around a minute. I don't know if this applies to a story based adventure game like mine though. Anyways, I'd love to hear what you developers think.

CastleAbra Trailer

Honesty is appreciated. I'm trying to figure out if viewers will be entertained or bored.

This is a private link for now and is only meant for getting feedback.

Thanks for looking!
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-01-2013, 06:06 PM
DungeonPlunder's Avatar
DungeonPlunder DungeonPlunder is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Drummondville, Qc, Canada
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardo View Post
Hey guys. CastleAbra will be my first release. I've been working on it for over 3 years and I'm really proud of it. The only thing that gives me concern is the length of the trailer. It's over 2 minutes and people say the ideal length should be around a minute. I don't know if this applies to a story based adventure game like mine though. Anyways, I'd love to hear what you developers think.

CastleAbra Trailer

Honesty is appreciated. I'm trying to figure out if viewers will be entertained or bored.

This is a private link for now and is only meant for getting feedback.

Thanks for looking!
Since it's pretty much always the same kind of gameplay being illustrated I'd cut it to a minute with the best scenes. 3 years dev time.. wow, must be special to be finally done.

Good luck with your launch. What's the pricing model for it?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-01-2013, 06:13 PM
KevinS KevinS is offline
Senior Member
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 557
Default

Woah looks awesome! As a none-dev I think 1:00-1:30 might be a little better. Just cut a little bit of the gameplay out or speed it up a tiny bit. Also, at the end you might want to add a frame that has your app icon and something that says "now available on the App Store". Can't wait to play it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:00 PM
opsive's Avatar
opsive opsive is offline
Developer
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 48
Default

Love the art style. Congrats on finishing!

Like the others have said, I feel like the trailer moves at a slow pace. I think there are also too many scenes of just the characters talking and not enough gameplay. In fact, it may be just me but I'm not sure what the goal of the game is. You're supposed to be the hero of a doomed romance, but what does that really mean? More gameplay would definitely put that into better context.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:14 PM
Wizardo Wizardo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey!
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonPlunder View Post

Good luck with your launch. What's the pricing model for it?
Thanks. I'm pretty sure we're gonna launch at 3 dollars for iPhone. That may be suicide, but it's a pretty big game. I'll let you all know how that works out for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinS View Post
Woah looks awesome! As a none-dev I think 1:00-1:30 might be a little better. Just cut a little bit of the gameplay out or speed it up a tiny bit. Also, at the end you might want to add a frame that has your app icon and something that says "now available on the App Store". Can't wait to play it.
Thanks! We are gonna add stuff like that at the end. When we launch, I plan on giving out codes on TA. I'll let you guys know so you can grab some if you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by opsive View Post
Love the art style. Congrats on finishing!

Like the others have said, I feel like the trailer moves at a slow pace. I think there are also too many scenes of just the characters talking and not enough gameplay. In fact, it may be just me but I'm not sure what the goal of the game is. You're supposed to be the hero of a doomed romance, but what does that really mean? More gameplay would definitely put that into better context.
Appreciate it. That's my biggest concern. The game is a traditional, point and click adventure game (Think Myst). The plot is basically a crazy, 3 way love story between a hapless hero, a crazy wizard and a trapped princess. I didn't wanna beat people over the head with specifics, I just wanted to people a sense of the game. I may have to be more specific.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:42 PM
Mene Mene is offline
Senior Member
iPad Air, iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,789
Default

'Joo' , 'I gots to have you' uhmm.

I think maybe you should improve the language re:- spelling and grammar before launch?

If that gets sorted, I think I'll be buying
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-01-2013, 08:49 PM
Wizardo Wizardo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey!
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mene View Post
'Joo' , 'I gots to have you' uhmm.

I think maybe you should improve the language re:- spelling and grammar before launch?
Thanks!

When the Squid says "I gots to have you, baby!" The bad grammar is due to him speaking like a 1950's greaser. And the bull says "Joo" because he's Cuban and has a thick accent. I think the rest of the grammar is ok. You made a valid point, but it'll make sense when you get to know the characters.

Last edited by Wizardo; 04-01-2013 at 08:51 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-01-2013, 09:00 PM
DungeonPlunder's Avatar
DungeonPlunder DungeonPlunder is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Drummondville, Qc, Canada
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardo View Post
Thanks. I'm pretty sure we're gonna launch at 3 dollars for iPhone. That may be suicide, but it's a pretty big game. I'll let you all know how that works out for me.
Can only speak for me and with a much simpler game but I had better sales number at $1.99 than $2.99.

I'd suggest to take the time to add tips IAPs in the game before releasing which is a staple of many adventure game, will bring you additional income and is not even remotely invasive to players.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Wizardo Wizardo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey!
Posts: 92
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DungeonPlunder View Post
Can only speak for me and with a much simpler game but I had better sales number at $1.99 than $2.99.

I'd suggest to take the time to add tips IAPs in the game before releasing which is a staple of many adventure game, will bring you additional income and is not even remotely invasive to players.
Your game looks cool. I'll check it out when I'm done with my game. I'm glad you're not selling it for a dollar.

I don't really know how I can add IAP's to my game at this point. We have a demo ready, but I'm not sure if we're gonna use it. There's a lot of big decisions left to be made!

The 3 dollar price point comes from looking at a bunch of successful adventure games that were priced above 3 dollars. Hector and 1112 come to mind. Again, it might be a bad decision, but we're gonna try.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-01-2013, 10:31 PM
DungeonPlunder's Avatar
DungeonPlunder DungeonPlunder is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Drummondville, Qc, Canada
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardo View Post
I don't really know how I can add IAP's to my game at this point. We have a demo ready, but I'm not sure if we're gonna use it. There's a lot of big decisions left to be made!
I'd definitely take the time to do it. Your burst of income will be at release, not in 3 months where your players will have mostly moved on unless you have strong staying power (which I wish you). There's got to be a reason as to why it's so often present in adventure game.. must be worth the dev time.

Quote:
The 3 dollar price point comes from looking at a bunch of successful adventure games that were priced above 3 dollars. Hector and 1112 come to mind. Again, it might be a bad decision, but we're gonna try.
Might be the proper price for the category indeed. Take the time to compare AppAnnie grossing ranks graphics of various adventure games titles/pricing if you haven't already.

Good luck again
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent