LucasArts the latest casualty of Disney's LucasFilm acquisition

04-03-2013, 02:13 PM
LucasArts the latest casualty of Disney's LucasFilm acquisition

LucasArts is no more. All staff were laid off, and development on all projects has been cancelled. All future Star Wars games will be licensed to external developers, and the LucasArts name will be used to license those titles. Star Wars 1313 and First assault will likely never be released, according to Kotaku's source, which is a shame, because they both looked like very promising games. A very, very sad day.

The death of LucasArts is yet another casualty since Disney acquired LucasFilm. What do you think of Disney's management of their new property?

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749
04-03-2013, 03:11 PM
It's not April 1st any more......

Hm. I thought only EA did this?

Need proofreading, editing or writing done for your game?
Contact me via PM or email and we can talk.

04-03-2013, 03:57 PM
EA hasn't gone to this level though. They've acquired studios, only to shut them down- which does suck, but not entire companies, and projects which were either finished or about to be finished, and in the works for years.
04-03-2013, 04:01 PM
Sad day in gaming history.

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
04-03-2013, 04:17 PM

No problems - only situations.
04-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Sad day in gaming history.
Agreed. I have fond memories of Loom and a bunch of other LucasArts adventures. Hell, Jedi Outcast is still one of my favorite action games ever, up there with Max Payne.

Then again, it's been many years since LucasArts released a worthwhile game. The new SW game looked amazing, and perhaps it would have made for a comeback, but I'm sure that it was also a huge financial gamble. Business-wise it makes sense to allocate resources towards something tha more of a sure bet like Disney Infinity.

Not sure if this is a "Disney sucks" story.
04-03-2013, 07:03 PM
Nooooooooooooo. If only Disney could think D:
04-03-2013, 07:06 PM
That means no Battlefront 3, right?

I can has more Super Hexagon/Boson X-esque games?
04-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarezero View Post
Agreed. I have fond memories of Loom and a bunch of other LucasArts adventures. Hell, Jedi Outcast is still one of my favorite action games ever, up there with Max Payne.

Then again, it's been many years since LucasArts released a worthwhile game. The new SW game looked amazing, and perhaps it would have made for a comeback, but I'm sure that it was also a huge financial gamble. Business-wise it makes sense to allocate resources towards something tha more of a sure bet like Disney Infinity.

Not sure if this is a "Disney sucks" story.
Yeah I agree its a shame considering their long history. That said by opening the door to 3rd parties hopefully we can see a few more quality attempts to capture the Star Wars magic. With the output LucasArts has had in the last 5 years I wouldn't be surprised if Disney has decided to clean house and re start the direction of digital avenues for the franchise.

Every model of reality has margins where it begins to run out of explanatory steam, where we can see its problems and limitations
Frozen Synapse: Deputy
GameCentre: The Lost Deputy
04-03-2013, 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggy110 View Post
That means no Battlefront 3, right?
It could happen still. Just means that an external company is going to have to develop it as a licensed game. It isn't clear whether they'll publish games themselves, and license the Star Wars IP to developers, or if they'll just license the IP to a publisher and have them publish whatever game(s) they make.