Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-07-2013, 07:31 AM

Default Alcatrapz - (by Zack Banack)[Universal]

Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

A new game by the dev of jtpck? I'm interested. Looks like it plays like ninjump, would love to see a video.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:19 AM
👮 Spam Police 🚓
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Send a message via MSN to syntheticvoid

Still waiting for the pause button to be moved in jtpck...

=o/

kinda hesitant to pick this one up because of it...
Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

In this you simply tap from right to left.Light taps equal short jumps,hold longer for heavy taps equals longer jumps.However it doesnt feel right,it's not fluid.You avoid obstacles lasers,saws,cameras,sharks,spikes etc in an attempt to escape Alcatraz,if you don't react fast enough you slide down walls into a pool of water and drown.You collect coins but coins are not collected generously.Ived played for the past 50 min and have only $186 worth of coins.Coins are used to buy items in store.Such as no camera for $250 ( which are extremely hard to avoid), slow motion game for $500, start at 500m for $750, only saw like obstacles $1250 to name a few.You also collect different masks,I dont know what the significants of the masks are.My longest distance 307m.Im a high score fanatic that's the main reason I purchased this but GC leader board doesn't seem to be working.

With some tweaking this would be more enjoyable.As is I can't recommend.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:49 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

Picked this one up without hesitation due to being a fan of jtpck, and it's rather disappointing. Execution is everything when you have an idea as hackneyed as this one, and unfortunately here it's rather sloppy.

What's really alarming though is the in-game store: while the game (accurately) lists "no IAP" as a feature, the prices of items are very much balanced in a way much more suited to an IAP-driven store model. In fact, exceedingly so. Which makes me think the dev must plan on adding IAP later while still being able to claim "no IAP" for now to sell copies. I know it sounds rather conspiracy theory-alarmist but I simply cannot think of another possible explanation. A half dozen or so games netted me under 100 coins, while single use consumable store items run into the thousands.

Don't plan to be spending any more time with this one.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:52 PM
iPhone 5

Alcatrapz developer here.

A new version of the app has been submitted to Apple to fix the bug in the GameCenter leaderboards. Sorry about that. All highscores are saved, however, and can be syned in the options menu once the update is released.

The reason I said "no IAPs" in the description is because I didn't want people thinking the in-game store required actual money to buy powerups. I have zero plans (honestly) to add IAPs. I personally dislike them myself, and have never purchased anything before through any app.

Though some of the items are pricey, I didn't receive complaints about it during beta testing. Though the game is tricky to get a hang of, all of my testers (4) and myself were able to average anywhere between 200-500 coins per good game. The most I've seen was around the upper 700s.

Overall, I guess the tutorial could have been more informative and detailed. You can hold the screen to constantly jump. Light taps will send you vertical, but upon reaching the other side, you'll be at a lower height than you previously were. Tapping longer will send you higher. More "power" = more height gained.

I apologize this game isn't liked all that much. Personally, I enjoy it more than jtpck. Guess that just goes to show that apps are either a hit or miss. Future updates will fix as much as I can to bring as much enjoyment to the game as possible.

Also, I really didn't think this idea had been done before. The only game of this style I've seen was / ESCAPE \. Looks like I have to do my research better.

Thanks, guys!

Last edited by zackbanack; 04-07-2013 at 05:54 PM..
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

First off I want to say that I actually really enjoy this game. The graphics, mechanics and music is all really good. The only problem is it's SO HARD! I consider myself to be a fairly advanced iOS gamer, but I've found myself dying sometimes within 5 seconds with almost no way to survive. The times I get a good score it feels like it's all based on luck. It's just mind boggling to me that anyone is able to get $500 coins per game. It took me about 70 games to get $250. While playing I actually made a list of things I think should be changed:
  • Ability to buy hearts/shields permanently (1 - $2,500 2- $5000 3 - $10,000)
  • Quick tap should not send you upwards at all
  • You can collect temporary powerups in game
  • Hold both fingers down on screen to very slowly climb, slower then water ($1000?)
  • Slot machines gives you items (revive, boost) in lieu of points (Jetpack Joyride style)
  • Objectives that give coins (get sliced by saw 20 times, climb 500m, get spotted by security cameras 5 times, etc....
  • Some holes in walls seem almost impossible to pass
  • Security cameras range decreased
  • Red text in shop when item is unavailable is very hard to read in dim light

I think adding more then one life is important, because it's very disheartening to have the ability to die within seconds even when trying your best. I also think a light tap making you go completely horizontal without any arching motion would be good. Again, these are just things I would do. I think if you want the game to appeal to a greater amount of people the difficulty should be decreased.

I can't wait to see if you decide to make any future updates, and I feel like this game is very unique. It has a lot of potential to become insanely popular.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:39 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Ooh I really like this, very minimal and tough as hell. But I really like this difficulty level, the brevity of games is quite refreshing and for now at least chasing high scores feels quicker and more satisfying than in usual "runners".

Nice little app, looking forward to the GC fix.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:05 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Ok, so I've been playing this for a really long time and now I've become addicted. Ignore all my previous points, the only thing I think that you could maybe consider tweaking is the price of items.

All the little details and innovative obstacles make this game really stand out. I love how there's a learning curve, but the more that you play the better you get. The fact that there's only one life makes the pace of game flow much smoother and makes everything more intense.

The slot machines also give you a coin multiplier which in turn makes your score better. I think this is a game that's going to stay on my iOS device for a very long time.
Old 04-10-2013, 03:19 PM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Forever alone...

Lol, but seriously, glad to see the update... Now perhaps you could soften the prices in the shop a wee bit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (328.2 KB, 4 views)