★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Games Like Dungeon Hunter 4 That Won't Put Me in Debt?

04-12-2013, 11:22 PM
#1
Games Like Dungeon Hunter 4 That Won't Put Me in Debt?

Just finished playing DH4. I fell in love, then it broke my heart and tried to take all of my money in the span of about 2 hours.

Does anyone know of any great games like this that won't charge me to use a potion?
04-12-2013, 11:57 PM
#2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piph View Post
Just finished playing DH4. I fell in love, then it broke my heart and tried to take all of my money in the span of about 2 hours.

Does anyone know of any great games like this that won't charge me to use a potion?
DH 1 & 2 (not 3), Orc: the vengeance, pocket RPG, Solomon's Keep (awesome), and in some sense Bastion. Bastion being somewhat similar in ways. And one of the best games on the AppStore.

04-13-2013, 12:09 AM
#3
Solomon's keep or boneyard? I see folks go back and forth between the two. Boneyard LOOKS like a more extensive version, but do these games got that loot factor?

DH 2 is looking really appealing. I really liked DH 4, didn't even know I wanted a dungeon crawler so badly until I played it, but those IAPs killed me. If DH2 is all that, with no IAP, then I guess I'll make the jump, but $7 is a pretty hefty price tag...

Orcs, does that have IAP in it? I hear lots of folks gushing about this one.
04-13-2013, 01:04 AM
#4
Joined: May 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 6,702
Orc doesn't have loot like the dungeon hunter games, just different weapons and shields. Kinda like Diablo without the loot lust.

Pretty graphics though. Not on par with DH4 but very nice indeed. I believe it was free for quite some time; might still be.

Last edited by JBRUU; 04-13-2013 at 01:36 AM.
04-13-2013, 01:35 AM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piph View Post
Solomon's keep or boneyard? I see folks go back and forth between the two. Boneyard LOOKS like a more extensive version, but do these games got that loot factor?

DH 2 is looking really appealing. I really liked DH 4, didn't even know I wanted a dungeon crawler so badly until I played it, but those IAPs killed me. If DH2 is all that, with no IAP, then I guess I'll make the jump, but $7 is a pretty hefty price tag...

Orcs, does that have IAP in it? I hear lots of folks gushing about this one.
Solomon's Keep feels like a twin stick Diablo to me. Boneyard is like a condensed, arena version of Keep...where you play for high scores and since you level up faster, it lets you experiment with skills. I play Boneyard when I want to mess around with skills..and play Keep for a longer game..

Orcs is decently fun for me..but I'm not crazy about it. It's a pretty slow game to me.. It's definitely high quality though.

Shmup Fan? Join our group - Bullet Hell Fanatics
Looking for Cave game recommendations? Check out starting ~half way down this link: Your favorite Shmup from Cave? Which is your favorite Game from Cave?
04-13-2013, 02:09 AM
#6
i planned to buy Orc:vengeance but i've heard that you only play in 1 area till you defeat all the monsters then move on to the next one. Is that true? I mean is the gameplay the same as DH4?
I also planned to buy DH2 but I just wondered if the graphics are outdated and I've heard about the no-sound problem with newer devices.
PS: Try The Bard's Tale! It's awesome! I'm suprised you havent tried that one yet
04-13-2013, 02:11 AM
#7
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 642
DH2 is worth the cost.
04-13-2013, 07:10 AM
#8
Joined: Dec 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 9,422
04-13-2013, 07:24 AM
#9
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Internet
Posts: 38
Seconding Bastion. Great art style, action, control, and narrative. Also no IAP.

Bought it when it was discounted to $0.99, what a steal. The hardware requirement is quite heavy though, so no support to older devices.
04-13-2013, 09:31 AM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzandreezz View Post
I also planned to buy DH2 but I just wondered if the graphics are outdated and I've heard about the no-sound problem with newer devices.
This. I was about to go grab DH 2, but App Store reviews suggest it runs poorly/crashes on the iPhone 5.