★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Nobody cares about 4X in 3D?

04-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Senior Member [Original Poster]
Nobody cares about 4X in 3D?

A question that's bugging me for quite a while:

we find dozens of different genre's on the App Store, and hundreds of clones for each genre leader. But why has nobody ever considered to bring a game like Homeworld, Sword Of The Stars or Sins Of A Solar Empire to iOS? A turn-based 4x space combat simulator in 3D?
I've checked the App Store several times. But never found anything like the games I've mentioned above. That epic space battles should be no problem for the modern devices shows Galaxy on Fire 2 very well. Or would this just be unprofitable, because it is a niche genre?
Any idea? Or is there something in development?

Hi, you seemed to be lost on the Internets.
This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.

Last edited by Vovin; 04-13-2013 at 01:31 PM.
04-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Try Galactic conflict

04-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotovsky View Post
Try Galactic conflict

I saw that, thank you, but it's real-time, unfortunately.

This is TouchArcade, where 2$ for a game is too much, 5$ is an outrage, and 10$ or more is putting sugar in their car tanks whilst killing puppies.
04-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Of course people care about 4X in 3D
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...world-3-pc-mac
04-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador View Post
Of course people care about 4X in 3D
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...world-3-pc-mac

!!!!
omg... and already funded.

*hugs Aventador* ... you made my month, mate.

*faints*

Last edited by Vovin; 04-13-2013 at 04:13 PM.
04-14-2013, 05:43 AM
I think it's mainly the controls. Going tablet only is gonna hurt sales, but even if you did make a phone version then people are going to assume it will be too fiddly. (And probably be right).

I love these games and am still playing moo2 via dosbox even now. I love trying out the few iPad offerings coming our way, but I'd dread to invest heavily in making one!
04-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
I think it's mainly the controls. Going tablet only is gonna hurt sales, but even if you did make a phone version then people are going to assume it will be too fiddly. (And probably be right).

I love these games and am still playing moo2 via dosbox even now. I love trying out the few iPad offerings coming our way, but I'd dread to invest heavily in making one!

Well, since it's funded and expected to come out (Homeworld 1 = Homeworld Touch), I am excited to know if they come up with a good control scheme.
The videos on the Kickstarter page are promising, even on iPhone.

But yes, MOO2 is a legend.

04-14-2013, 11:37 AM
I've been playing turn based strategy/wargames since the 70', video games galore, and unless you're piloting ships I can't say that adding the 3rd really adds much - ultimately it's all about topology, distances, "terrain" etc. which if flattened into 2D play just as well, and make for a much simpler interface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFalk View Post
Squids!?

Worst idea ever!
04-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
I've been playing turn based strategy/wargames since the 70', video games galore, and unless you're piloting ships I can't say that adding the 3rd really adds much - ultimately it's all about topology, distances, "terrain" etc. which if flattened into 2D play just as well, and make for a much simpler interface.

I am influenced by the old sci-fi movies and series. I just love huge fleet battles.

04-15-2013, 02:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotovsky
Try Galactic conflict
I saw that, thank you, but it's real-time, unfortunately.
You realize that Homeworld, Sins, etc. are all RTS (real-time strategy) games and no turn-based 4X? Galactic Conflict was actually inspired by the above games, tbh.

Bitmen Studios - We bring the Bits together.
Galactic Conflict RTS Air Force vs Luftwaffe.
Follow me on Twitter @BitmenStudios or visit my Indie Developer Blog