Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Vovin Vovin is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,041
Default Nobody cares about 4X in 3D?

A question that's bugging me for quite a while:

we find dozens of different genre's on the App Store, and hundreds of clones for each genre leader. But why has nobody ever considered to bring a game like Homeworld, Sword Of The Stars or Sins Of A Solar Empire to iOS? A turn-based 4x space combat simulator in 3D?
I've checked the App Store several times. But never found anything like the games I've mentioned above. That epic space battles should be no problem for the modern devices shows Galaxy on Fire 2 very well. Or would this just be unprofitable, because it is a niche genre?
Any idea? Or is there something in development?

Last edited by Vovin; 04-13-2013 at 01:31 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Kotovsky Kotovsky is offline
Senior Member
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 299
Default

Try Galactic conflict
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Vovin Vovin is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotovsky View Post
Try Galactic conflict

I saw that, thank you, but it's real-time, unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-13-2013, 02:05 PM
Aventador Aventador is offline
Senior Member
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Croatia
Posts: 875
Default

Of course people care about 4X in 3D
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...world-3-pc-mac
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-13-2013, 04:10 PM
Vovin Vovin is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador View Post
Of course people care about 4X in 3D
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...world-3-pc-mac



!!!!
omg... and already funded.

*hugs Aventador* ... you made my month, mate.

*faints*

Last edited by Vovin; 04-13-2013 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-14-2013, 05:43 AM
Rubicon's Avatar
Rubicon Rubicon is offline
Developer
iPad, OS 4.x
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Isle of Wight, UK
Posts: 1,445
Default

I think it's mainly the controls. Going tablet only is gonna hurt sales, but even if you did make a phone version then people are going to assume it will be too fiddly. (And probably be right).

I love these games and am still playing moo2 via dosbox even now. I love trying out the few iPad offerings coming our way, but I'd dread to invest heavily in making one!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:01 AM
Vovin Vovin is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicon View Post
I think it's mainly the controls. Going tablet only is gonna hurt sales, but even if you did make a phone version then people are going to assume it will be too fiddly. (And probably be right).

I love these games and am still playing moo2 via dosbox even now. I love trying out the few iPad offerings coming our way, but I'd dread to invest heavily in making one!

Well, since it's funded and expected to come out (Homeworld 1 = Homeworld Touch), I am excited to know if they come up with a good control scheme.
The videos on the Kickstarter page are promising, even on iPhone.

But yes, MOO2 is a legend.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-14-2013, 11:37 AM
drelbs drelbs is offline
👮 Spam Police 🚓
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,853
Default

I've been playing turn based strategy/wargames since the 70', video games galore, and unless you're piloting ships I can't say that adding the 3rd really adds much - ultimately it's all about topology, distances, "terrain" etc. which if flattened into 2D play just as well, and make for a much simpler interface.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-14-2013, 03:31 PM
Vovin Vovin is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 8,041
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drelbs View Post
I've been playing turn based strategy/wargames since the 70', video games galore, and unless you're piloting ships I can't say that adding the 3rd really adds much - ultimately it's all about topology, distances, "terrain" etc. which if flattened into 2D play just as well, and make for a much simpler interface.

I am influenced by the old sci-fi movies and series. I just love huge fleet battles.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-15-2013, 02:30 AM
MarkFromBitmenStudios's Avatar
MarkFromBitmenStudios MarkFromBitmenStudios is offline
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Austria, Europe
Posts: 130
Send a message via AIM to MarkFromBitmenStudios
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vovin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kotovsky
Try Galactic conflict
I saw that, thank you, but it's real-time, unfortunately.
You realize that Homeworld, Sins, etc. are all RTS (real-time strategy) games and no turn-based 4X? Galactic Conflict was actually inspired by the above games, tbh.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent