#1  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Bamboo Bamboo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 394
Default In App Purchases

Hey guys, I've been on this forum for about a year now and I've never made a thread, so correct me If I put this in the wrong category.

Ok, IAP aka in app purchases. Who likes 'em? The amount of times I've watched a youtuber review an app/game and say something like "sadly, they have IAP" or, "What ruins the game is the fact it has IAP".

And i'm like well, don't use it then, simple, but then again:I agree, just the fact the game has an IAP bugs me and makes me feel like the game developers are cheap.

On every game thread that has IAP, I see comments saying IAP has ruined games, etc. Yes it has, yet the game developers don't bother taking any notice. On the trailers they put up on youtube, they don't read the comments below about IAP being crap. Reviews on the app store about IAP being crap. So it's not like the game developers and not noticing (unless, they just don't socialise or interact with the community at all, then fair enough lol).

What I'm trying to put through here, after a long rant, game developers if you're reading this, which there's an 85% chance your not... just don't bother with the IAP, I prefer getting the whole game by 1 purchase then half a game with multiple purchases.

Thank you for reading, sorry for it being long. :/

P.S. I put this in the lounge section by accident.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:42 AM
Lost_Deputy Lost_Deputy is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Sydney
Posts: 1,774
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
Hey guys, I've been on this forum for about a year now and I've never made a thread, so correct me If I put this in the wrong category.

Ok, IAP aka in app purchases. Who likes 'em? The amount of times I've watched a youtuber review an app/game and say something like "sadly, they have IAP" or, "What ruins the game is the fact it has IAP".

And i'm like well, don't use it then, simple, but then again:I agree, just the fact the game has an IAP bugs me and makes me feel like the game developers are cheap.

On every game thread that has IAP, I see comments saying IAP has ruined games, etc. Yes it has, yet the game developers don't bother taking any notice. On the trailers they put up on youtube, they don't read the comments below about IAP being crap. Reviews on the app store about IAP being crap. So it's not like the game developers and not noticing (unless, they just don't socialise or interact with the community at all, then fair enough lol).

What I'm trying to put through here, after a long rant, game developers if you're reading this, which there's an 85% chance your not... just don't bother with the IAP, I prefer getting the whole game by 1 purchase then half a game with multiple purchases.

Thank you for reading, sorry for it being long. :/

P.S. I put this in the lounge section by accident.
Good points mate. This is currently running as well
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=178436
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-20-2013, 07:58 AM
sweetdiss sweetdiss is offline
Senior Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,317
Default

This has been brought up hundreds of times around here... "Why do devs include IAP when everyone seems to hate them?"

The answer is very simple (and has been pointed out many, many times): The people around here who closely follow ios games are not "everyone", and there is far more money to be made with IAP than without.

Does this mean devs are greedy? No, for the most part. Unless you are something fairly high profile like Ridiculous Fishing, you probably aren't going to get much return for all the blood, sweat, tears, time, and money you put in. In fact, you are lucky just to break even.

It's be nice if IAP didn't exist I guess, but it's all but necessary to survive in the current appstore market.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:26 AM
Bamboo Bamboo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_Deputy View Post
Good points mate. This is currently running as well
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=178436
Oh, woops sorry, thanks for saying I had a good point. I didn't know there was another thread. I'll just let this thread stay as I don't know how to delete it lol.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-20-2013, 09:29 AM
Bamboo Bamboo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 394
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetdiss View Post
This has been brought up hundreds of times around here... "Why do devs include IAP when everyone seems to hate them?"

The answer is very simple (and has been pointed out many, many times): The people around here who closely follow ios games are not "everyone", and there is far more money to be made with IAP than without.

Does this mean devs are greedy? No, for the most part. Unless you are something fairly high profile like Ridiculous Fishing, you probably aren't going to get much return for all the blood, sweat, tears, time, and money you put in. In fact, you are lucky just to break even.

It's be nice if IAP didn't exist I guess, but it's all but necessary to survive in the current appstore market.
Yeh, I guess, the game developers aren't greedy like you said, they just want to make money. Bad sadly most people will give into the IAP's and buy stuff with the game. If only everyone just stopped using the IAP, that way the developers would HAVE to make their games buy only. But yeh, I guess, they just want to make money, and IAP is unfortunately a good way of doing it.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent