Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 04-20-2013, 03:31 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Default Any dual stick shooters with a twist?

You know how the Anomaly series turned the tower defense concept on its head? Are there any dual stick shooters that something similar?

Like combine RPG elements or exploration or mix tower defense aspects with dual stick shooting? Or any other cool unique take on the dual stick genre?
Old 04-20-2013, 04:22 PM

Take a look at Mushihimesama Bug Panic. It's dual-stick shooter plus exploration plus bullet-hell, and even the shooting mechanics are not traditional, since it's target-locking based.

I'd also recommend Inferno+ by Radiangames, it's dual-stick shooter with RPG elements and stage progression with lots of exploration, really cool. Talking about Radiangames, you may also want to check Fireball SE. It's not really a shooter but the mechanics are similar — instead of shooting you need to trigger bombs and dodge your enemies bullet-time style.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:23 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
Like combine RPG elements or exploration or mix tower defense aspects with dual stick shooting? Or any other cool unique take on the dual stick genre?
Bug Heroes!!! You described it perfectly, RPG elements, TD elements and Dual Stick Shooting. Plus, it's free, so grab it now!!

Then, if you like it, get Bug Heroes Quest.
Old 04-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Beat Hazard is a music visualizer and dual stick shooter.

It also supports airplay hdmi tv widescreen which rocks as picuted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (64.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 04-20-2013, 04:42 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post

Definitely a must have .
Old 04-20-2013, 04:58 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post

Can you import your own songs to play? Nevermind they clearly state you can. Might as well grab this.

As for my recommendation, Monster Shooter. The game has a pretty unique perk system that is reseted every playthrough, so each playthrough is different from the last. Gorgeous handdrawn graphics too.

Last edited by squashy; 04-20-2013 at 05:02 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 05:53 PM
Banned
iPhone 4, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
Bug Heroes!!! You described it perfectly, RPG elements, TD elements and Dual Stick Shooting. Plus, it's free, so grab it now!!

Then, if you like it, get Bug Heroes Quest.
Thank you so much for this recommendation! This game is so much fun and exactly what I was looking for!

And to think I ignored it because it seemed like something meant for kids. Should have realized it was something more when I saw it was from Foursaken.

How is Bug Heroes Quest different?
---
Also for any other suggestions, I prefer shooters where you control a character rather than a ship or shape.

Last edited by Bronxsta; 04-20-2013 at 06:01 PM..
Old 04-20-2013, 06:35 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxsta View Post
Thank you so much for this recommendation! This game is so much fun and exactly what I was looking for!

And to think I ignored it because it seemed like something meant for kids. Should have realized it was something more when I saw it was from Foursaken.

How is Bug Heroes Quest different?
---
Also for any other suggestions, I prefer shooters where you control a character rather than a ship or shape.
You're welcome! Yeah, Bug Heroes is one of my all-time favorite iOS games.

Bug Heroes Quest is has different large levels to expore and complete, and is more like an RPG with a storyline, whereas Bug Heroes is endless.

They're both great games, IMO.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:23 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squashy View Post
Can you import your own songs to play? Nevermind they clearly state you can. Might as well grab this.
Yuppers, it'll automatically import your whole itunes dir. See the attached picture. And try it on tv widescreen and blasting stereo, it rocks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (77.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 04-20-2013, 11:39 PM
iPad 2, iOS 6.x

Default Bug Heroes Quest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjackid View Post
You're welcome! Yeah, Bug Heroes is one of my all-time favorite iOS games.

Bug Heroes Quest is has different large levels to expore and complete, and is more like an RPG with a storyline, whereas Bug Heroes is endless.

They're both great games, IMO.
Big heroes is great, and so is bug heroes quest, but if your wondering about the gameplay...
The story revolves around the three main characters (ant, spider, and beetle) and how they meet up and save the bug kingdom from the evil Scorpions.
The game is set in large levels which you must explore to progress in your quest. Although the story revolves around the trio, there are special appearances of some of the other bugs, where you are able to play as them, but only for that specific level.

As for the RPG side- the trio (individually) level up by defeating enemies, and retain their level across levels. Upon levelling an upgrade screen is shown, like in the original Bug Heroes, where you can upgrade specific perks relative to each character (like stun chance for beetle, or critical chance for spider), plus some new ones. This can change the way you play, because you could play as one character and level him up to be superior to his acquaintances, but in some levels that character might not be available •••Spoiler:  because they are kidnapped, or going on a small solo adventure.

Special moves and abilities, like ant's portable turrets, are FOUND throughout the entire game via chests. These chests are sometimes just lying around, but the more advanced equipment can be obtained by •••Spoiler:  going to extremely dangerous areas, or winning them in an arena. Even the characters main weapons must be found, so if you decide to pass an optional level you are potentially missing a valuable piece of equipment.

In combat, special moves must cool down before they can be activated again, but to change your special abilities you must first find a special tent- so if your going to pick some skills, make sure they suit your style. Your skills might be the only thing standing between you and death.

Even though I prefer the original Bug Heroes, Bug Heroes Quest is overall a fairly decent game that you should look into. Just keep in mind that it doesn't include as much tower defence as Bug Heroes does.

Hope this helped
-Duivs