Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-27-2013, 06:39 PM

Default Vanquish - The Adventures of Lady Exton

Old 04-27-2013, 06:39 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

This one looks promising, I may have to TOFTT.
Old 04-27-2013, 06:52 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by retr0spective View Post
This one looks promising, I may have to TOFTT.
And please, do leave impressions if you do. I'm equally intrigued.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:14 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

WHat's that button on the lower right do? Vibrate youre iphone?
Old 04-28-2013, 12:52 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 5.x

Okay, I found the art style irresistible and so cast my hard-earned dollar into the abyss. These are my impressions ...

So far Vanquish seems to be a classic instance of style over substance with enjoyability of gameplay somewhat on par with Benfro's Brilliant Balloon without the meta-game storybook element.

The game takes place in a beautifully painted post-apocalyptic steampunk world where the earth has been overrun by spherical machine-like aliens known as mechanoids. Lady Exton was captured by the mechanoids, escaped, and is now tasked with auto-running back to civilization armed with a parasol whereby she can jump and float between platforms and a pistol to shoot any mechanoids that stand in her way.

The pace is very slow and graceful like the main character, but the controls are responsive and accurate. She can jump between platforms by touching the screen and float upward or glide gently downward by pressing the screen a second time. Some clearly identified platforms have spikes that pop out of the ground when you approach them and some enemies can be hopped on to double as bouncing platforms. Lady Exton can also perform a wall-jump which allows her to temporarily change direction and also scale walls when necessary. A few levels in she gets a pistol that easily takes down stationary mechanoids blocking her path and it can be fired by pressing the single button on the right side of the screen.

Levels are unlocked via progression and there is are no IAPs so I have yet to determine any practical function to the collectible cog items (coins) except to help guide the direction of movement between platforms.

The music, environment, and gameplay work together to create a relaxing ambiance though the game lacks any significant substance. If you are looking for a soothing romp through a colorfully desolate cityscape, you will probably enjoy Vanquish. If you are looking for a fast-paced action-packed platformer, this is probably not your cup of tea.

Last edited by retr0spective; 04-28-2013 at 01:00 AM..
Old 04-28-2013, 12:59 AM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exact-Psience View Post
WHat's that button on the lower right do? Vibrate youre iphone?
That's all I'm saying.

DBC
Old 04-28-2013, 03:08 AM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), OS 4.x

Thanks for the impressions. Even though it sounds slower-paced, I'll likely throw my dollar at this, too.
Old 04-28-2013, 03:13 AM
iPhone 6, iOS 8.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnarKitty View Post
Thanks for the impressions. Even though it sounds slower-paced, I'll likely throw my dollar at this, too.

Hey, I am a slow-paced guy. Why don't you throw your dollars at me? (I can also act fast-paced, no prob, just throw them dollars).

I am really digging the art style of this. Might take a look into it later.
Thanks for the imps, retr0!
Old 04-28-2013, 03:43 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Thanks for the imps retro! We could always use a little slow-paced since most runners are fast and frantic.

Right now im just juggling Temple Run Oz, Iron Man 3, Robot Unicorn 2 and Fast & Furious 6 whenever im playing, so Vanquish is a good thing to have at times like this. Speaking of which, i think the best slow-paced game for me would have to be any turn-based RPGs.

I know some would choose some physics puzzlers, or HdOs, or even point and click adventure games, but i personally like RPGs to relax, usually when grinding mindlessly or something.

The best point and click games arent slow-paced to me, because well written ones can suck you in like you're in the game's world like The Walking Dead, or Yesterday or Monkey Island games can, plus, some of their puzzles can test your wit a bit which can become a little tiring at times.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 PM

Default Game Impressions