Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 04-30-2013, 08:33 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Tsunami Hopper - almost as addictive as chocolate

Hi everyone,

Our first indie title, Tsunami Hopper, is now available for iPhone/iPad/iPod. Our ambition was to create a fun platformer that recaptures the magic of beloved platform games from our 8/16 bit childhood, and further enhances it with update graphics, special FX and unique game mechanics.

Gameplay Video
iTunes link
Old 04-30-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grafos View Post
Our ambition was to create a fun platformer that recaptures the magic of beloved platform games from our 8/16 bit childhood, and further enhances it with update graphics, special FX and unique game mechanics.
I'm sorry but you missed the "unique game mechanics" part. I don't think people will be paying $2 for a game with one of the most tired and overused game formulas of the AppStore.

Good luck, though. The backgrounds look fine.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:17 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 7.x

Yeah agree with the above, sorry to sound harsh. But Doodle Jump clones are common like anything (specially 2 years ago, then it became the 'in' thing to create Angry Bird clones).

I love 8/16 bit games but in those days they had left/right/jump buttons and most were horizontal scrollers. This just looks like another Doodle Jump clone - sorry.
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 AM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Thank you for the feedback guys!
We do like Doodle Jump and of course it's been an influence, but we do mean it when we said we were heavily influenced by the 8/16 bit games of our childhood (Rainbow Islands, Giana Sisters). The idea was to build up on those games of the past, not just visually, but also by mixing it up with modern game mechanichs (such as those found on Doodle Jump) and our own twists (hence the "unique" bit).

The result is something that feels and plays very differently to Doodle Jump which you mentioned. I am actually pretty sure any old-school gamer will recognise far more Rainbow Islands than Doodle Jump in Tsunami Hopper. I do hope you will give our effort a chance and not dismiss it by your initial impression. Doodle Jump is a cool game, but definitely not the first or the last vertical platformer.