Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-03-2013, 02:36 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Default Banzai Dice by Sergey Epifanov [Universal]

Last edited by CygnetSeven; 05-06-2013 at 08:06 AM..
Old 05-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Pretty fun game. The real difference between Banzai Dice, and other matching games is that you start with a blank grid.

There's a column of dice to the left, and and blank row across the bottom. Your goal is to take the die, choose where to place it in the bottom row and then push it up into the grid.

The next die you put in that row will be below the first die, as they get pushed up. The ultimate goal is to make "strings" (matches).

I thought the way the dice are "pushed" onto the play field is unique. (I don't have any similar matching games.)
Old 05-04-2013, 11:30 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

The game is an innovative puzzle game; as mentioned by m44 you are adding dice to a blank grid, and you have the ability to look ahead in the column of dice to plan where how best to form strings (either a set of 4+ dice of the same number, or a sequential run of 4+ dice).

Everything works smoothly, though some of the features are unlabled on the screen. An undo button in the bottom left corner lets you try your last move differently, pause is in the top right to restart or abort a game, and near the top left corner (to the right of the dice remaining in the standard game) is a submenu that offers a set of powerups (bomb, plasma sphere, plus, joker). Those have prices listed next to them as IAP; I seem to have one of each available, and upon using one during a game it shows up available again the next game. Presumably, someone wanting to buy a super-high score could grab extra power-ups as needed during their play, but it is also possible that the IAP gives more uses of the powerups during each game. It also could be that the provided codes simply had all the IAP unlocked for us to play with, but then I wonder why those purchase buttons are still enabled.

One restriction wasn't mentioned in the help files: you seem to be unable to add a die to a column which already has that die at the bottom. This prevents the trivial solution of just making a column for each number (though that wouldn't quite be possible, given the presence of just five columns) but it does complicate attempts to make strings of a given number.

Overall a solid, if simple, puzzle game. Well designed and well-implemented, but I'm not sure whether I'll want to spend enough time on it to attempt to devise improved strategies for building up the strings.

Last edited by Darian; 05-04-2013 at 11:31 PM.. Reason: left/right error
Old 05-05-2013, 01:03 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

M44, Darian, thanks for the reviews, guys!
Old 05-06-2013, 08:12 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

I love the steampunk style. Definitely on my wishlist. Good luck! Do you have a video of gameplay?
Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Thanks! I am on iPhone now and can't give you an exact link to the video. But if you search for BanzaiDice on YouTube you will find a simple video that I have recorded with the gameplay. Sorry, I don't have any more promocodes, but I believe the game is definitely worth $.99 that I charge for it
Old 05-06-2013, 01:19 PM
iPad mini

Duplicate thread
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=143300
Old 05-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

Indeed. This happened because a moderator has moved my thread that was originally about promocodes here.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:06 PM
iPad mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanzaiTokyo View Post
Indeed. This happened because a moderator has moved my thread that was originally about promocodes here.
Perhaps they should be merged. There are some good impressions in both. I had forgotten about this game. Gonna have to reinstall and give it another whirl.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x

I am fine with whatever the moderators decide.