Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-09-2013, 06:04 PM
Banned
iPhone 5

Default Bombcats (by RADIANGAMES + Chillingo) Coming Soon

Radiangames is partening with Chillingo again (Super Crossfire) to bring Bombcats, releasing soon... Here is the video:

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up
Old 05-10-2013, 05:03 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Seems like a fun game, gonna play this when it is released. I play all the fun games from chillingo.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:00 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Here is the release notes, http://www.radiangames.com/bombcats-...next-thursday/

Ugh, F2P and through Chillingo. Why Radian, why?
Old 05-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Banned
iPhone 5

Quoted directly from the website Cygnet posted above:

Quote:
Iíve been waiting for this day for a VERY long time, and now Iím finally able to say it: Bombcats is Radiangamesí next game (aka The Big Project), and itís coming next Thursday, May 16th, to iPad and iPhone. It will be published by Chillingo.

So what is Bombcats? Itís an action-physics-puzzle game. Itís not directly comparable to any one game, but the two most influential are Sonic the Hedgehog (style, character, movement) and iBlast Moki (basic level layout). There will be comparisons to Angry Birds as well because itís a physics-puzzle game and there are multiple cats with different abilities, but the actual gameplay has a different feel. This is a lot easier to see in video form:

Itís fun, and massive, and you should try it out for yourself. In fact, if you have an iOS device (thatís not too old), you have no excuse not to. Because itís free.

The Dark Side?

Bombcats is a Free-To-Play game (aka F2P). If youíve played a game on Facebook or any of the top grossing games on the App Store, youíll have an idea of what F2P might mean. Farmville, Dragonvale, Clash of Clans, Temple Run, and Candy Crush are all examples of popular F2P games.

Bombcats isnít revolutionary in how it does its F2P mechanics, but it is very fair, and you can play through the whole game (190 levels, 5 modes) without paying for anything, nor are there timers that will stop you from playing. There are also no ads or other grossness sometimes associated with F2P games. I could go on about how Bombcats is structured, but regardless of whether you have skill, time, or money, the game is fun. For well-articulated thoughts on how F2P can be done ethically, please read this article by the creator of Shellrazer.

Old School Mode

Bombcats goes even a step further in its fair structure: At any time you can pay $4 to have the game be balanced more like a ďpremiumĒ game. The details are too much to get into without a full post, but essentially the game locks out all non-permanent IAP and the in-game balance is shifted in a few places. This mode is really for two types of gamers: 1) Hardcore players and 2) Children (or parents of children, really). Iíve seen many gamers asking for this kind of unlock in F2P games, and I hope more games will be offering them in the future.

Blast Away!

To recap: Bombcats! Free! Thursday the 16th! (on iOS, coming soon to Android)
So the useful info here is that for 4$ you get the full premium game if I am correct.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:29 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnetSeven View Post
I've been doing small, polished games for a low price for 3 years, and I'm still just barely making a living. I've released 5 polished paid game for iOS, the same ones for PC/Mac, and 7 for XBLIG. If it weren't for some one-time deals with Indie Royale and Union (Unity's publishing arm) last year, I'd have went out of business a while ago.

So it was time to try something different. This is Radiangames' last hope for survival. But it's also a game I believe in, and I've made the game so both my daughters and myself can really enjoy Bombcats (I strongly believe you need to care about your target audience to do your best work).

I could have released Bombcats for $0.99 and the same IAP, then dropped the price to free after a couple months. But I'm not a fan of that strategy. I'd rather everyone play the game, have everyone enjoy it, and if they enjoy it enough and want to, they can buy IAP. And I think people will enjoy it enough (and not be annoyed by it) that they'll tell their friends about it. I believe more F2P games should think long-term with their design, so that's what I've done with my game.

It's a very fair game with IAP, you can play everything without spending a dime, there are no gross ads, and I didn't sacrifice my soul to make this game. You won't feel icky playing it either.

I've worked EXTREMELY hard on this game for a year. I hope you at least try it out.

Last edited by radiangames; 05-10-2013 at 10:46 AM..
Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 AM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFrost View Post
So the useful info here is that for 4$ you get the full premium game if I am correct.
Pretty much correct. I'll explain Old School Mode in more detail when the game is out (being able to see the game helps understand).
Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Banned
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiangames View Post
Pretty much correct. I'll explain Old School Mode in more detail when the game is out (being able to see the game helps understand).
Luke, if its made by you I dont care about Chillingo or F2P, I already know that its going to be great and you already have my 4$. Thats what a good reputation means to me, a loyal supporting customer.

Hope Radiangames survives and brings more awesome iOS games
Old 05-10-2013, 08:01 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiangames View Post
I've been doing small, polished games for a low price for 3 years, and I'm still just barely making a living. I've released 5 polished paid game for iOS, the same ones for PC/Mac, and 7 for XBLIG. If it weren't for some one-time deals with Indie Royale and Union (Unity's publishing arm) last year, I'd have went out of business a while ago.

So it was time to try something different. This is Radiangames' last hope for survival. But it's also a game I believe in, and I've made the game so both my daughters and myself can really enjoy Bombcats (I strongly believe you need to care about your target audience to do your best work).

I could have released Bombcats for $0.99 and the same IAP, then dropped the price to free after a couple months. But I'm not a fan of that strategy. I'd rather everyone play the game, have everyone enjoy it, and if they enjoy it enough and want to, they can buy IAP. And I think people will enjoy it enough (and not be annoyed by it) that they'll tell their friends about it. I believe more F2P games should think long-term with their design, so that's what I've done with my game.

It's a very fair game with IAP, you can play everything without spending a dime, there are no gross ads, and I didn't sacrifice my soul to make this game. You won't feel icky playing it either.

I've worked EXTREMELY hard on this game for a year. I hope you at least try it out.

First of all I'm sorry to hear that you are struggling to make it in this market, there are only two developers that I will blindly buy from on opening day based on my love for what they have done in the past, and RadianGames is one of them. The other is Llamasoft and within the last month both have made comments of the lack of financial success in the iOS market.
I think it's a sad statement on today's market and I say that because of the quality of games that both of you put out. Cat in a Box was another amazing developer that couldn't make it in this market. It's sad, not for me the consumer but for you guys.
Sorry if I came across a bit negative. I'll definitely pick it up next week. It just came out of left field from what I expected.
I wish you all the luck, you guys deserve it. Thanks!
Old 05-10-2013, 08:27 PM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnetSeven View Post
Here is the release notes, http://www.radiangames.com/bombcats-...next-thursday/

Radian, are you crazy???

You make great games, and you're gonna make it junko Chillingo f2p?

Oh, geez.

Last edited by Connector; 05-10-2013 at 08:31 PM..
Old 05-11-2013, 09:16 AM
Banned
iPhone 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Connector View Post
Radian, are you crazy???

You make great games, and you're gonna make it junko Chillingo f2p?

Oh, geez.
Connector read a couple of posts above...