Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Old 05-11-2013, 03:00 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Default Lite version or IAP upgrade?

Just wondering what the best way to upswell my upcoming racing game would be... To launch a lite version, or release the game for free, though somewhat limited until the user unlocks the full version via IAP?

Anyone with experience with both, would be great to hear from you!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:00 AM
iPhone 3GS

If you're asking whether you should release a version that points to a paid version or if it should have IAP for unlocks, I'd say unlocks. That way the player can keep whatever progress they have instead of starting over.

As far as I can tell, a "Lite" version on the app store usually refers to a demo version that either has IAP unlocks or an in-game link to a premium version. A "free" version is usually ad supported. Neither come with a price tag, so if you're asking if you should have a paid "lite" version or a free with IAP version, then I think you're crazy for wanting to charge for something you consider "lite"
Old 05-11-2013, 05:47 AM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

No, I mean a lite version for free, with a link inside to the paid game (separate app) or a free version that has the full game mode unlocked via IAP. This way I wouldn't have to release two apps... but the word "lite" probably stops people from downloading, but then again, so do the words "offers in app purchasing". lol.

Just wondering which of the two methods are more successful... I could get around it by releasing two versions and avoiding the word "lite" but I'm not sure if the conversion rate from free version to full version via weblink would be as high as it would be if the full version was simply offered via IAP... hence asking... I haven't done either before. :P
Old 05-11-2013, 03:58 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

It depends. For Pickpawcket we created 10 unique levels for the light version, so players wouldn't feel like they were losing any progress. It also gave players a reason to download both apps helping the rank a tiny amount.

If you've got progress to save, go free with an IAP to unlock. Don't call the app lite since it's really the full game.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:57 PM
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackharon View Post
It depends. For Pickpawcket we created 10 unique levels for the light version, so players wouldn't feel like they were losing any progress. It also gave players a reason to download both apps helping the rank a tiny amount.

If you've got progress to save, go free with an IAP to unlock. Don't call the app lite since it's really the full game.
Good point about save progress, I hadn't thought of that. Looks like IAP is the way to go. Now I just need to work out exactly how much I should give away free... And how to incorporate IAP within Unity... Shouldn't be too tough.

Thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 09:22 PM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

One benefit of having a single app w/ IAP unlock is that you only have 1 app to support, instead of 2. This might not seem like a big deal, but it's 2x the work everytime you need to update/bug fix/whatever. And, when you get more apps in the store it quickly becomes too much to support all those apps.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:01 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

As a player, I would prefer to have only a paid version available.

As a marketing guy, all three versions, lite, paid and freemium.

As a developer, the obvious choice is lite with IAP to unlock as that will get you decent revenue with the least amount of work...
Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 PM
Developer
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

In my opinion, it was helpful to have a paid version and a free version. If you're already free, you can't GO free and get the added bump in downloads from people hearing about your app going free. As an example, our paid version when it went free for one week, got over 5x the number of downloads our free version got over the past half year. You have some added flexibility having two to work with, but like another mentioned, it does take extra time fixing bugs and adding improvements since it needs to be done twice.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:42 PM
iPhone 5c, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
In my opinion, it was helpful to have a paid version and a free version. If you're already free, you can't GO free and get the added bump in downloads from people hearing about your app going free. As an example, our paid version when it went free for one week, got over 5x the number of downloads our free version got over the past half year. You have some added flexibility having two to work with, but like another mentioned, it does take extra time fixing bugs and adding improvements since it needs to be done twice.
Why not just use conditional compilation?
Old 05-12-2013, 03:16 AM
Developer
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPadisGreat View Post
Why not just use conditional compilation?
The issue with 2 apps is not about having two codebases, although it could be about that if you somehow have separate code for the 2 apps. The point is that even with 1 codebase and conditional compilation, you still have 2 different apps with 2 different executables... that each needs to be compiled, tested, submitted, etc. If you make even a small change in the code, you now have to run all of your tests, play through levels, and do all of that for TWO games instead of one. Sure... you could assume that if you tested some parts of the game in one version that it'll be ok in the other, and you might be right... or you might not.