Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 05-12-2013, 11:47 PM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

Default Trigger City (by Slipshod Games) [iPhone/iTouch]

NEW Giveaway:Tweet/Share using this link to enter to win a $15 iTunes Gift Card!

EDIT: I should mention that The update with iPhone 5 optimized art was submitted early Sunday morning. As soon as Apple approves, widescreen support will be enabled.

Last edited by Slipshod Games; 05-21-2013 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Additional Info
Old 05-12-2013, 11:50 PM
iPod Touch (5th Gen), iOS 7.x

Glad this is out for everyone to play. A great indie title, an homage to the classic River City Ransom. Plays very well. Great retro graphics and tune. Impressive this was created by a one man band
Old 05-13-2013, 12:23 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Plays like charm and the retro graphics are excellent!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:30 AM
iPad 2, iOS 5.x

Default Game Impressions

Absence of IAP drew me in here, but unfortunately the gameplay is just quite dull, sound effects are lacking, and the d-pad is just barely adequate. A good idea on paper, but the execution leaves much to be desired. (The motorbike section is a particular low point.)
Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

From the "Upcoming" thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalcasket View Post
I'm glad to say that someone finally "gets it". While there are already more than enough old-school brawlers on iOS, it seems like none of the "iOS originals" (i.e. not ports) are just good enough for those who hold the genre so near and dear to their heart. In every release thread, you'll see comments like "It's alright...but I wish there were combos", most recently with Ravenous' Beatdown!, for example. The combat and controls were fine, but it was far too simple, the levels were very "samey" and it just boring way too fast. I praised The Gods: Uprising for finally giving us an experience we would have been proud to play in arcades as kids, but it isn't an old-school brawler. Not by a long shot.

While Trigger City is indeed a simple game (move left to right while punching and kicking), it remains fresh throughout its entire duration. As psj said, you've got various combos that can be unlocked only by playing the game and earning the in-game currency. While you won't be able to unlock everything in one single playthrough, you'll have earned enough bad-ass moves to want to play over and see 'em all. The move animations are sick, and that OOMPH! when you nail an uppercut combo and see the skull and rib cage of your opponent amidst a puddle of crimson red blood is so, so satisfying. Each area (consisting of 3 parts each...except for the motorway level) has its own baddies, with certain characteristics that you'll have to adapt to...whether it's lunging towards you, smacking you upside the head with a broken bottle or trying to shoot you from a distance. Once they're down and out, you'll be able to use their weapons against them. Everything's mapped to 2 buttons, so you don't have to worry about searching for a pop-up weapons button or anything.

The animations throughout the game are gorgeous (I especially love the facial expressions) and the levels all look like they were pulled out of a SEGA Genesis title with that certain Streets of Rage "nitty gritty" charm. As mentioned in the app description and aforementioned here, there's even a single motorway level and an elevator level. How cool of a throwback to the games that inspired this is that?

My favorite part of the game has to be the story. Each level starts and ends with dialogue, and you actually feel like your character has a purpose, with logical progression through the sets of levels until you've reached the leader's roof for the final battle. When you're not speaking with anyone, it's still not "lifeless" as certain enemies will speak while they fight.

Trigger City is just good old cheesy, mature fun. It doesn't last too long (I found the length to be absolutely perfect for a mobile game) but without spoiling anything, it may not be over yet. It doesn't deviate from the path it started out too much and it's not the deepest game in the world...but what it does, it does exceptionally well. Even with the little issues psj mentioned (such as enemies under your thumbs in some instances), it's hard to believe that one person, working on a game for 2 years in their spare time was able to put together such a ridiculously polished title. I haven't come across a single glitch, the game hasn't crashed at all and it legitimately feels like an older game running on the perfect emulator. This is the perfect $1 game. No rubbish in-app purchases, no bullturd...just one nice little game that you can sit and play from its dark and gloomy start to its bri--err...nevermind, no spoilers...end.

If you've been reading this little write-up thinking "Oh look, MC's gotten another promo code, so he's singing praises for this title while pooping rainbows", there is one thing. You see, I've been playing this on an iPad. The catch? It's an iPhone game. Yes, it's not universal and there isn't an iPad version. I've talked to the developer about this already and (I hope you don't mind me speaking for you :/) 95% of the development cycle was done before he got his hands on an iPad and the assets have been done by contracted artists. The good news is...it doesn't matter. Indirectly quoting myself, "Stick a border around the 2X iPad graphics, add resizable and moveable controls and call it a day". That's all it'll take to get this universal-ready, in my opinion. The graphics are perfectly fine in 2X and some of the text even looks retina quality on iPad. If you don't mind your hands getting a liiiiiiiiiittle uncomfortable over a long period of playtime, you shouldn't have a problem. I know some of you are like "UUUGGGHHHHHHHH!" at my "border" comment, but trust me...that's all it needs. I hope Slipshod tries out my suggestion, even if it's just a temporary solution. That ultimately depends on the game's success...so get ready to throw your dollars at Slipshod Games on the 13th guys. Kudos to them (him)...they (he) should be very, very proud of this game.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:49 AM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Downloading. Looks like a trip to River City Ransom memory lane. This is gonne be good, especially with the posts above.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I love the look and sound of it. Obviously dissappointed there is no widescreen but hopefully it's on the horizon
Old 05-13-2013, 03:49 AM
iPad mini, iOS 6.x

Cool, SOR or double dragon memories here. Shame not universal. Please make this universal in an update :-)
Old 05-13-2013, 04:10 AM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by squabs View Post
Shame not universal. Please make this universal in an update :-)
Amen to that brother
Old 05-13-2013, 04:18 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

I read somewhere that games coming out after 1st may will always
be iphone5 supported ?!?!

Well, the praise from metalcasket missed to mention that,
but this lack of widescreen support is a big let down, for me.
(bought the game before Lost Deputy's post, arrgh...)

At least the money doesn't go to a big company.
And for this one-man-show it's well deserved. Congrats Dev.