★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Universal vs Split

05-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Universal vs Split

There are pros and cons to getting games that are either universal or split between the iPhone and iPad.

Universal
Pro - Buy once and have on both devices
Con - Download size is larger (esp. if iPad 3 is supported)

Split - opposite of above.

Which do you prefer and what other considerations do you take into account.

05-14-2013, 09:06 AM
Universal is way better for an enormous number of reason. The apps can share leaderboards. People can sync between devices using iCloud. Developers only have to test and troubleshoot one app. There is just no reason to make separate apps unless your goal is to anger customers.

05-14-2013, 09:39 AM
I mostly do my gaming on my ipod touch than my ipad but its sensible as anything to go universal, that seems to be the standard and you'll upset quite a few people if you split it so you have to buy it twice.

Standard things for a game on iOS...

Choice of controls
Auto-rotate (Still cant believe when games dont have this)
Universal
05-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Yeah. I would consider spending money on an app that wasn't universal unless I really only wanted it on one device.
05-14-2013, 02:10 PM
I like universal, I don't care about the size, I can delete some apps to make more space for games which I like. The universal mode also made me easy to play it on iPhone or iPad. Moreover, if it has GameCenter, i don't need to unlock same achievements twice. That's why I prefer universal

Game Center ID: copaeci
05-14-2013, 02:19 PM
You forgot the main pro of "split", which is price (see World of Goo). The only problem is that once you upgrade to an iPad, you'll have to be paying for both the standard and Universal versions.

My dream would be a non universal app with the ability to upgrade to universal as iAP for a cheaper price.
05-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Universal
05-14-2013, 02:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpman252 View Post
You forgot the main pro of "split", which is price (see World of Goo).
That's also the main pro of universal, because prices shouldn't differ when we're talking about exactly the same game.

/l、
゙(゚、 。 7 ノ
 l、゙ ~ヽ
 じしf_, )ノ
05-15-2013, 01:46 AM
I prefer universal because I use both iPhones and iPads. That is mainly for productivity apps.

For games especially, I would buy the iPad version over the iPhone version as the iPhone versions typically have problems auto rotating on my iPad.
05-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Ok, this is great! Thanks for your input.

The reason this question came up for me was the last couple of games I have worked on were all Universal and some of them had a lot of assets making the app really large. I worried that the size was a deterrent to downloading.

Kingdom Rush (one of my FAVORITE games!) did a split of the game and I happily bought both versions because I would throw money at them any day to make more content or finish Kingdom Rush 2.

For people who might really enjoy the next game we are working on right now I wondered if the benefit of having a smaller install and targeted platforms would allow people to help support us that liked what we were doing.

Does that make sense, my line of thinking?