Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > General Game Discussion and Questions

Old 05-15-2013, 06:43 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Are pixel-graphics games a cover up? (getting sick of them).

Lately there are so many pixel (8-bit, 16-bit) graphics games with chiptune sounds coming out. The developers justify them by saying they wanted the 'retro' feel. But could this 'retro' design choice be due to laziness and a way to hide behind a lack of skill rather than artistic expression?
Old 05-15-2013, 06:49 PM
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOctagonTheory View Post
Lately there are so many pixel (8-bit, 16-bit) graphics games with chiptune sounds coming out. The developers justify them by saying they wanted the 'retro' feel. But could this 'retro' design choice be due to laziness and a way to hide behind a lack of skill rather than artistic expression?
On the contrary, I found the pixel art to be very expressive and refreshing, compared to a lot of the generic looking/flat 3D games coming out. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal reference.

I do think part of it is that the teams are small, and 2D assets, especially blocky pixel art, is much easier to create. It comes down to money and time, not laziness. 8-bit/16-bit graphics are very popular with the indie community (especially with the rise of Minecraft), and many developers/gamers genuinely enjoy this style.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:50 PM
👮 Spam Police 🚓

Used to be where I let the artistic expression slide. But now there are so many, I honestly don't know. I know devving a game is hard.
But to see so many pixel graphics feel like its a cheap cash in on the "Retro" craze.
I prefer 3D graphics, even low res like UMK3.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:00 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

I like some pixel art games such as: Kairosoft games, Organ Trail, Super Brothers, Star Command,... But retro-reloaded games are flooding App Store. There are so many of them in lots of game genre( shooting, rpg, platform,...) that I lost my interest in, except for some unique games. I am also suprised by rhe lack of 3D games on IOS
Old 05-15-2013, 07:03 PM
iPad mini

It's supply and demand. Hipsters like retro, pixel graphics are retro, all hipsters are issued an iPhone, so pixel games sell.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 PM
iPad (3rd Gen), iOS 6.x

I know there are a lot of good ones like Junk Jack, Blockheads, Deepworld, Block Fortress, etc. But is my theory completely wrong? There are never developers who do what I said?
Old 05-15-2013, 07:37 PM
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x

Just like in "high-res" art, there's good and bad pixel art. I would much prefer good pixel art over bad or even medium quality high res 2D art. For a lot of games, I feel like 2D art would even be a detriment. Knights of Pen and Paper and games by Rocketcat are examples.

Even better is when the pixel art is used, but particle effects are added or there are clean diagonals that wouldn't be possible if it were actually running at a low resolution. Legend of Dungeon (which might be coming to iOS) is an awesome example of it, since it has amazing-looking dynamic shadows and bumpmaps on pixel art, creating a really unique style.

Unless your game is going for realism or has a stylized look, the art usually just ends up being bland and generic. On iOS, a great example of when this doesn't happen is Ridiculous Fishing, where it's almost an interpretation of what pixel art would look like if the pixels were all rotated 45. Somewhere where it appears to happen is the upcoming 3DS remake of Link to the Past. I don't know about you, but the old one on the right looks infinitely better than the new one, especially in terms of crispness and character.

Last edited by Fleabag323; 05-15-2013 at 07:51 PM..
Old 05-15-2013, 07:42 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

The pixel art is done very well in some games, while in others, it's obvious the time and effort wasn't put into it. The pixel-graphic games is another fad. Or, like the previous commenter stated, used more for stylish effect. A few design ideas do well, then it seems like everyone jumps on the band wagon for the ride and a quick buck. A prime example is the endless runner games. Temple run hit it big and now there are runners coming out of the wood work. If there is money to be made, someone will exploit it.

Last edited by Morgan01; 05-15-2013 at 07:46 PM..
Old 05-15-2013, 07:57 PM
iPad Air, iOS 7.x

Contrary to popular belief, pixel art is not THAT easy to make. You can tell when a non-artist has taken a stab at it in order to try and make up for their lack of drawing skills. But pixel art in the hands of a talent can look crisp and fantastic. And, you don't need a 3d rendering engine to make that happen, so smaller dev teams generally hire an artist to create the assets for them.

However, 3D renders in the hands of someone lacking the proper skill will look TERRIBLE, and all credibility of that game might go right out the window. I'd rather see less than stellar pixel graphics than less than stellar 3D graphics.

That, and pixel graphics have kind of moved past the era of looking dated. We hated the look during the reign of the PSX and N64, but looking back now, those games haven't aged well when the SNES and Genesis games now have their charm back.

To each his own I guess though. I'm happy with the deluge.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:30 PM
iPod Touch (3rd Gen), iOS 5.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronLee View Post
Contrary to popular belief, pixel art is not THAT easy to make. You can tell when a non-artist has taken a stab at it in order to try and make up for their lack of drawing skills. But pixel art in the hands of a talent can look crisp and fantastic. And, you don't need a 3d rendering engine to make that happen, so smaller dev teams generally hire an artist to create the assets for them.

However, 3D renders in the hands of someone lacking the proper skill will look TERRIBLE, and all credibility of that game might go right out the window. I'd rather see less than stellar pixel graphics than less than stellar 3D graphics.

That, and pixel graphics have kind of moved past the era of looking dated. We hated the look during the reign of the PSX and N64, but looking back now, those games haven't aged well when the SNES and Genesis games now have their charm back.

To each his own I guess though. I'm happy with the deluge.
I for one never hated the look. Also, I totally agree with the how early polygon-based 3D has age, compared to how games like Demon's Crest have aged.