Candy Crush share to unlock idea

View Poll Results: Asking users to invite 10 friends to advance a level is:
Really smart if it gets you more sales, I'm all for it 4 21.05%
Smart but maybe crossing the line 3 15.79%
O.K. but I wouldn't do it on one of my apps 3 15.79%
A bit much and creates a bad president for other developers and the users. 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll
05-17-2013, 07:51 AM
#1
Candy Crush share to unlock idea

Hi Guys,

I keep getting requests from friends who are trying to unlock levels or something in the game Candy Crush.

I took a look and they have set it up so that you have to invite 10 friends or something to unlock levels or stages.

What do you guys think of this, is it crossing the line or is it a good way to grow your user base.

It looks like it has worked well for them, Candy Crush is basically bejewelled with some candy in place of the jewels, and they have hit the top of the charts.

I think Facebook sharing has it's place but you shouldn't spam peoples walls, or force them to share to friends at a point where they are already well invested into the game.

Thoughts.

Cheers

ben
05-18-2013, 01:58 AM
#2
Hi,

at first - Candy Crush Saga is as much social game as mobile. It means, those mechanics are part of the game itself.

Actually this morning I had a meeting with our platform manager at Facebook and we were discussing invite and open graph mechanics - and they work really well.

You can choose - either pay for that level or invite friends. That's not crossing the line. Actually, Candy Crush is one of the least pushing social games out there.

In addition, invites are not sharing or spamming walls. There is no more wallposts spam as it were in times of Zynga like few years ago. Now your main friend is Open Graph, which is very powerful if used properly.

05-18-2013, 07:41 AM
#3
Joined: May 2010
Location: Lincoln, UK
Posts: 341
Candy Crush Saga does offer other options, you don't have to do it with the Facebook mechanics. You can also pay, or do some extra missions that have 24 hour delays before the next one is unlocked.

Forcing even just a Facebook login is a sure way to get lots of instant deletes. Some people won't mind, but some will. You need to provide an alternative for those that will not sign in.
05-18-2013, 02:05 PM
#4
For me, as a gamer, this would be too much. If I came across this in a game, I would simply not bother continuing and probably delete the thing off my device. But thats just me - i'm not bothered about game achievements and social media.
05-18-2013, 02:55 PM
#5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appvism View Post
For me, as a gamer, this would be too much. If I came across this in a game, I would simply not bother continuing and probably delete the thing off my device. But thats just me - i'm not bothered about game achievements and social media.
And that's classic statistical fallacy. You are judging by yourself, not by an actual user behaviour.
05-19-2013, 03:03 PM
#6
Oh yeah, it is just my own opinion!
05-19-2013, 04:16 PM
#7
This totally depends on your target audience. Actual gamers usually hate this nonsense, I know I do, but actual gamers don't play candy crush. Every middle aged woman I know, most of whom never played a video game at all before FarmVille, does, but not gamers. Now if you're making a FPS that little old ladies won't play, it's probably a bad idea, but for Facebook social "games" it's just the way they work, spreading like social diseases.
05-20-2013, 05:24 AM
#8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
This totally depends on your target audience. Actual gamers usually hate this nonsense, I know I do, but actual gamers don't play candy crush. Every middle aged woman I know, most of whom never played a video game at all before FarmVille, does, but not gamers. Now if you're making a FPS that little old ladies won't play, it's probably a bad idea, but for Facebook social "games" it's just the way they work, spreading like social diseases.
What is actual gamer? Why a woman playing candies can't be a gamer? No matter whether you play FPS or FarmVille, both is gaming - just with different priorities. And I say that as social and mobile game developer who used to play Counter-Strike and Warcraft 3 on international competitive level.
05-20-2013, 09:59 AM
#9
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3v View Post
What is actual gamer?
Someone who plays skill based games, not pay to win, socialize to win, have the most friends to win, etc.
05-20-2013, 12:01 PM
#10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royce View Post
Someone who plays skill based games, not pay to win, socialize to win, have the most friends to win, etc.
In my opinion, that's just type of the gamer. You're talking about mid-core or hard-core gamer. There are also casual gamers. Gaming is playing and playing is learning. And there is no difference in this pattern whether it is a casual gamer od hardcore one.