Old 05-20-2013, 10:09 AM

Default GB Video Games Quiz

Old 05-20-2013, 10:21 AM

Hey guys, just saw this while browsing. It's pretty fun

You have to guess the gameboy games by looking at the picture
Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

Default Game Impressions

The ads are super annoying. Like holy crap. They load quickly and don't pop up under my clicky finger, but still, I spent nearly a third of my time in the game shutting them down (before I just spent $1 to send them away...devs are lucky I'm a Game Boy fanatic). Popups don't work well with quick, tappy quizes. Maybe they should use a banner ad instead?

Anyway, I've unlocked all tiers (unless there's something after 10) and completely answered all questions in tiers 1-6. Each tier has N number of questions, starting with tier 1 at 18. You have to answer half correctly (rounded up) in order to access the next tier. The next tier has 3 more questions. Tiers 5-7 have 30 questions, then they start to go down in increments of 3 again. (Why?)

I like that there's some leniency in name formatting (•••Spoiler:  PACMAN is just as acceptable as PAC-MAN, for example, MEGAMAN as MEGA MAN). I'd prefer it if the game didn't parse articles, though. •••Spoiler:  The game should accept both "The Final Fantasy Legend" (the name on the box) as well as "Final Fantasy Legend" (the title the game wants).

Speaking of being able to enter the title in more than one way, there's a problem with the game not accepting names from different English-speaking regions. For example, •••Spoiler:  it takes Pang (the European name) but not Buster Bros (the North American name); Mystic Quest (EU) but not Final Fantasy Adventure (NA). It took Atomic Punk (NA), Yoshi (NA), and Contra (NA), but I did not test to see if it took the European equivalents, Dynablaster, Mario & Yoshi, or Probotector 2. I wouldn't mind it only taking European names, if it were (1) consistent and (2) had been noted somewhere before I started playing. Ideally, of course, the game should take both answers as correct. Edit: I reset my game a second time to check...it DOES take both names. However, sometimes (but not always) hints default to the European title.

Ironically, I haven't had any problem with entering the Japanese-only games. The app's always taken the first name and spelling I've thought to enter.

Last edited by pdSlooper; 05-20-2013 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: correcting a mistake
Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 AM

Wow, Toucharcade Bot beat us to publish the game announcement! Here's a nice trailer we prepared for the game (can mods please pudate the first post with it?)

Low bandwidth Version | Pop Up

This is the third entry in out Video nGames Quiz series (after the general one and the NES one). We'll keep new versions coming!

Hope you enjoy the game, any feedback is welcome!
Old 05-21-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdSlooper View Post
The ads are super annoying. Like holy crap. They load quickly and don't pop up under my clicky finger, but still, I spent nearly a third of my time in the game shutting them down (before I just spent $1 to send them away...devs are lucky I'm a Game Boy fanatic). Popups don't work well with quick, tappy quizes. Maybe they should use a banner ad instead?

Anyway, I've unlocked all tiers (unless there's something after 10) and completely answered all questions in tiers 1-6. Each tier has N number of questions, starting with tier 1 at 18. You have to answer half correctly (rounded up) in order to access the next tier. The next tier has 3 more questions. Tiers 5-7 have 30 questions, then they start to go down in increments of 3 again. (Why?)

I like that there's some leniency in name formatting (•••Spoiler:  PACMAN is just as acceptable as PAC-MAN, for example, MEGAMAN as MEGA MAN). I'd prefer it if the game didn't parse articles, though. •••Spoiler:  The game should accept both "The Final Fantasy Legend" (the name on the box) as well as "Final Fantasy Legend" (the title the game wants).

Speaking of being able to enter the title in more than one way, there's a problem with the game not accepting names from different English-speaking regions. For example, •••Spoiler:  it takes Pang (the European name) but not Buster Bros (the North American name); Mystic Quest (EU) but not Final Fantasy Adventure (NA). It took Atomic Punk (NA), Yoshi (NA), and Contra (NA), but I did not test to see if it took the European equivalents, Dynablaster, Mario & Yoshi, or Probotector 2. I wouldn't mind it only taking European names, if it were (1) consistent and (2) had been noted somewhere before I started playing. Ideally, of course, the game should take both answers as correct. Edit: I reset my game a second time to check...it DOES take both names. However, sometimes (but not always) hints default to the European title.

Ironically, I haven't had any problem with entering the Japanese-only games. The app's always taken the first name and spelling I've thought to enter.
Thanks for the game impressions, we're glad you enjoyed the game!

We're aware that ads might be annoying, but since it's a free game we need to earn some revenue and, judging by our previous experiences, banner-type ads don't really work for us. We show the ads between stages so that they don't interfere with the game, but the 0.99 remove ads option is always there

About the titles, our title-recognition algorithm should accept european, japanese and US titles with any type of formatting and with or without articles. The game not accepting "The" in Final Fantasy legend is a bug and will be corrected in the next update. Thanks for reporting it!
Old 05-21-2013, 04:54 PM
iPod Touch (4th Gen), iOS 6.x

That's a shame about the banner ads not working. I can't fault you for picking an ad method that works. And besides, I paid to get rid of them. It's a very fun app for $1, IMO.

Any idea what's up about the hints? •••Spoiler:  When I asked for the hint for Buster Bros./Pang, it gave me PA__, but when I asked for the hint for Atomic Punk/Dynablaster/Bomber Boy, it gave me (something like) ATOM__ ____. I found that a bit strange.

Will you be adding any more questions to the app? I was impressed with the breadth of titles chosen, and there's not much I would add. There's only a couple of titles I'm surprised to not see in there... •••Spoiler:  Harvest Moon GB and Tamagotchi, namely. I was also kind of hoping to at least see one unlicensed game in the last tier...something from Wisdom Tree, if not something from the more obscure Sachen.

At any rate, thanks for the app. I've picked up the NES and "general gaming" quiz apps, too and am checking them out. Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercoders View Post
Wow, Toucharcade Bot beat us to publish the game announcement! Here's a nice trailer we prepared for the game (can mods please pudate the first post with it?)

YouTube: video

This is the third entry in out Video nGames Quiz series (after the general one and the NES one). We'll keep new versions coming!

Hope you enjoy the game, any feedback is welcome!

Try contacting the mods and maybe they will be able to out your video in the original post

Great, fun game by the way. I will leave impressions later tonight cause I have to see a movie now.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:40 AM

Thanks a lot for your support!

Although we've programmed the game to accept different region's titles, it only displays one title as a hint and sometimes it's hard to choose which title to show. We tried to show the hint for the most "popular" title the game is known as, which is usually the US one.

Yes, we plan to add more titles in future versions, as we did with the global version and the NES version (which are already in their 3rd or 4th update), as well as correct the bugs we've been alerted of. We're also working in new platforms to release new sequels of Video Games Quiz!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdSlooper View Post
That's a shame about the banner ads not working. I can't fault you for picking an ad method that works. And besides, I paid to get rid of them. It's a very fun app for $1, IMO.

Any idea what's up about the hints? •••Spoiler:  When I asked for the hint for Buster Bros./Pang, it gave me PA__, but when I asked for the hint for Atomic Punk/Dynablaster/Bomber Boy, it gave me (something like) ATOM__ ____. I found that a bit strange.

Will you be adding any more questions to the app? I was impressed with the breadth of titles chosen, and there's not much I would add. There's only a couple of titles I'm surprised to not see in there... •••Spoiler:  Harvest Moon GB and Tamagotchi, namely. I was also kind of hoping to at least see one unlicensed game in the last tier...something from Wisdom Tree, if not something from the more obscure Sachen.

At any rate, thanks for the app. I've picked up the NES and "general gaming" quiz apps, too and am checking them out. Looking forward to seeing what else you come up with.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEvilRobot View Post
Try contacting the mods and maybe they will be able to out your video in the original post

Great, fun game by the way. I will leave impressions later tonight cause I have to see a movie now.
Thanks! We look forward to reading your impressions!
Old 05-23-2013, 07:10 AM
Banned
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Personally I think you still can't beat the setup of quiz game land, I love the boardgame style with the question squares and bonus rounds. Would love a sequel or update for it