Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Developer Discussion > Public Game Developers Forum

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-27-2013, 04:47 AM
squidgyjelly squidgyjelly is offline
Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 40
Default Working out what artwork to have

How do you work out what artwork you need for a game in your head?
  #2  
Old 05-27-2013, 08:28 AM
Blackharon's Avatar
Blackharon Blackharon is offline
Developer
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 825
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidgyjelly View Post
How do you work out what artwork you need for a game in your head?
Never in my head.

With the game design I make sketches of what I imagine each screen to look like, identifying all the different objects on each screen.

Then our artist takes a look at each of those and does a mock up, gives his own suggestions and we alter the list accordingly.

Finally, when we're actually producing the game lots of little bits get added or removed. The initial lists are great for a start, but rarely include more than 70? per cent of the final asset list.
  #3  
Old 05-27-2013, 01:34 PM
M.O. M.O. is offline
Member
iPhone 4, iOS 5.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 60
Default

I'm with @Blackharon, make a list, and find a artist that is willing to work with you after the initial purchase, because no matter how much you plan everything out, their always seems to be something that slipped your initial overview.
  #4  
Old 05-28-2013, 05:06 AM
squidgyjelly squidgyjelly is offline
Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 40
Default Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O. View Post
I'm with @Blackharon, make a list, and find a artist that is willing to work with you after the initial purchase, because no matter how much you plan everything out, their always seems to be something that slipped your initial overview.
Your'e so right
  #5  
Old 05-31-2013, 04:10 AM
CharredDirt CharredDirt is offline
Developer
iPad 2, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 162
Default

As an artist, I like the sketch idea. Do a mockup of screen flow This button leads to --> this screen. Even if you're a horrible artist, you should be able to sketch the game completely out even if it's with stick figures and boxes.

Also, once you're done, have another person or developer look at it. Take a look the next day and see if it's what you want or if you forgot anything.

I find a lot of my clients forget about some of these. A basic game would include:

App Icon
Logo
Default load screen (splash screen, usually with your company on it)
Main menu screen
main menu buttons, don't forget social ones like gamecenter and facebook.
Other screens and menus before, during and after the game
In game graphics, backgrounds, sprites.
In game UI
Text and game over screens
Tutorials

Don't forget marketing graphics as well, images for webpages and screenshots.
  #6  
Old 06-01-2013, 05:12 AM
squidgyjelly squidgyjelly is offline
Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 40
Default Rules

Thanks

Although if I have complete rules then developer should easily be able to program and see artwork or tell me waht artwork they need right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharredDirt View Post
As an artist, I like the sketch idea. Do a mockup of screen flow This button leads to --> this screen. Even if you're a horrible artist, you should be able to sketch the game completely out even if it's with stick figures and boxes.

Also, once you're done, have another person or developer look at it. Take a look the next day and see if it's what you want or if you forgot anything.

I find a lot of my clients forget about some of these. A basic game would include:

App Icon
Logo
Default load screen (splash screen, usually with your company on it)
Main menu screen
main menu buttons, don't forget social ones like gamecenter and facebook.
Other screens and menus before, during and after the game
In game graphics, backgrounds, sprites.
In game UI
Text and game over screens
Tutorials

Don't forget marketing graphics as well, images for webpages and screenshots.
  #7  
Old 06-03-2013, 06:02 AM
squidgyjelly squidgyjelly is offline
Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 40
Default Menu

What do you think I need for the menu for a 3 to 6 player game?
  #8  
Old 06-04-2013, 03:31 AM
squidgyjelly squidgyjelly is offline
Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 40
Default Home and away

I suddenly thought yesterday that if this game is for people at home then people have to buy more word pack inapp purchases.

However, if your playing via WiFi around the world how the heck do you work it out so people still have to buy inapp purchases for the game?

Last edited by squidgyjelly; 06-04-2013 at 05:05 AM..
  #9  
Old 06-05-2013, 03:47 AM
squidgyjelly squidgyjelly is offline
Member
iPhone 5, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 40
Default Question

Could someone answer my last message question please?
  #10  
Old 06-05-2013, 07:06 AM
CrystalFortress CrystalFortress is offline
Member
iPhone 4, iOS 6.x
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 50
Default

Can you explain what you mean clearer? Fudamently there is no difference between someone at home and someone half way around the world in terms of in app purchases as long as your store status is "Available" .

Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2012, TouchArcade.com, LLC.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2008 - 2011, TouchArcade.com. Privacy Policy / DMCA Copyright Agent